Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

As in having two LoB giving one unit of blightkings (presumably a large one) the munificent bounty??

Exactly. I was wondering about:

Lob

Lob

Lob

Lob

Sorcerer, blades

Festus, blades

20 kings

10 marauders

10 marauders

35 marauders 

Warshrine

Plaguetouched

2000/2000

These boys are shooting 80 4+/3+ With blades on top. We then have marauders for chaffing And controlling obj. Warshrine gives rerolls And a 6++.

It's a fluffy list but i think that could even work :D

15 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Exactly. I was wondering about:

Lob

Lob

Lob

Lob

Sorcerer, blades

Festus, blades

20 kings

10 marauders

10 marauders

35 marauders 

Warshrine

Plaguetouched

2000/2000

These boys are shooting 80 4+/3+ With blades on top. We then have marauders for chaffing And controlling obj. Warshrine gives rerolls And a 6++.

It's a fluffy list but i think that could even work :D

This one isn't going to win you any friendsxD

1 hour ago, GreenFly said:

Hm. You need to ask about it on GW's facebook.

Someone please do. I don't use FB so not going to make one just to ask.

I hope it's legal as  this is why I initially asked because I figured you could do some nasty damage with such a build.

It seems unlikely that it would stack, as the wording implies you simply gain the profile attack.

Getting that weapon profile 4 times is irrelevant , it even says on page 77 "Some models can be armed with two identical weapons. When the model attacks with these weapons, do not double the number of attacks the weapons make, usually the model gets an additional ability instead."

Of course, in this case there is no extra ability as they don't expect you to do it multiple times to the same unit

3 hours ago, Black_Nexus said:

It seems unlikely that it would stack, as the wording implies you simply gain the profile attack.

Getting that weapon profile 4 times is irrelevant , it even says on page 77 "Some models can be armed with two identical weapons. When the model attacks with these weapons, do not double the number of attacks the weapons make, usually the model gets an additional ability instead."

Of course, in this case there is no extra ability as they don't expect you to do it multiple times to the same unit

It doesn't work in this way.

This is not a weapon by profile and it has its own profile. It is also given by an ability and it is the first time in the game i think in which a model gives a weapon to a unit.

Paired blades have no profile, and you use the single blade one with the extra ability

They are two separate cases. GW will answer on it tho

Been lurking in this forum topic for a while now and the content and knowledge has been really great so thought I would try and tap into the experience that people have.

I've been in the hobby for a year so still trying to get my head round the mystical art of list building but I would love to get myself a semi-competitive Maggotkin list together.

Currently I’m just painting up what I got for Xmas but rather than just blindly buying new things I would like to have a plan in mind.

Currently I have:

Gutrot Spume

Harbinger of decay

Festus the Leechlord

Lord of plagues

Poxbringer

Horticulous Slimux

10x plague bearers

5 x warriors of chaos

3 x drones

10 x Blightkings

3 x Nurgling bases

40 x Plague Monks

5 x Chaos Knights

5 x Marauder Horsemen

Would anybody be willing and able to talk me through list building and what I should be looking for or where it might be worth going next from what I have?

Don’t want to clog up this thread so if you’re up for giving me a few pointers please drop me a PM.

Thank you  

43 minutes ago, Locien83 said:

Been lurking in this forum topic for a while now and the content and knowledge has been really great so thought I would try and tap into the experience that people have.

I've been in the hobby for a year so still trying to get my head round the mystical art of list building but I would love to get myself a semi-competitive Maggotkin list together.

Currently I’m just painting up what I got for Xmas but rather than just blindly buying new things I would like to have a plan in mind.

Currently I have:

Gutrot Spume

Harbinger of decay

Festus the Leechlord

Lord of plagues

Poxbringer

Horticulous Slimux

10x plague bearers

5 x warriors of chaos

3 x drones

10 x Blightkings

3 x Nurgling bases

40 x Plague Monks

5 x Chaos Knights

5 x Marauder Horsemen

Would anybody be willing and able to talk me through list building and what I should be looking for or where it might be worth going next from what I have?

Don’t want to clog up this thread so if you’re up for giving me a few pointers please drop me a PM.

Thank you  

It seems you have a bit of everything! First things first is to figure out where you want to head because while you can mix 2/4 four factions to a varying degree (pestilens, mortals, rotbringers and demons) it wouldn't be wise to have all four in a list. Also it seems you lack a standout general other than harbinger of decay. Maybe pick up a glotkin or great unclean one. The great unclean one is probably the best all around general we have access too. 

32 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

It seems you have a bit of everything! First things first is to figure out where you want to head because while you can mix 2/4 four factions to a varying degree (pestilens, mortals, rotbringers and demons) it wouldn't be wise to have all four in a list. Also it seems you lack a standout general other than harbinger of decay. Maybe pick up a glotkin or great unclean one. The great unclean one is probably the best all around general we have access too. 

Yes, I know most of it was gifted so I did get a bit of everything.

I think I am tempted with Rotbringer to be honest, my biggest issue seems to be model count though as they seem very low.  I can see that being a big issue in matched play scenarios. 

It is a shame that I really don't like the marauder models as they would seem to plug that gap but I just think they are rather ugly and not particularly nurgle looking!

8 minutes ago, Locien83 said:

Yes, I know most of it was gifted so I did get a bit of everything.

I think I am tempted with Rotbringer to be honest, my biggest issue seems to be model count though as they seem very low.  I can see that being a big issue in matched play scenarios. 

It is a shame that I really don't like the marauder models as they would seem to plug that gap but I just think they are rather ugly and not particularly nurgle looking!

Make some from the 40k pox walkers

Just now, Arkiham said:

Make some from the 40k pox walkers

Yes I have seen a few people do that, I am not sure that I'm up to making them not look 40k yet, my conversions are still very much at the head-swap stage and my bitsbox is not that extensive.

32 minutes ago, Locien83 said:

I understand that a lot of people wouldn't like the marauders. I like them because they have some old school fantasy charm. And they're multi part, multi pose! Fluff-wise (at least in the End Times), a lot of nurgle mortal followers aren't necessarily bloated with corruption. Painting them pale skinned and then using greenstuff to make some of them have buboes and horns here and there should work as well. A load of marauders fight the empire, led by a great unclean one, in the End Times: Nagash, and they're just described as regular chaos marauders, not particularly ill looking! 

5 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I understand that a lot of people wouldn't like the marauders. I like them because they have some old school fantasy charm. And they're multi part, multi pose! Fluff-wise (at least in the End Times), a lot of nurgle mortal followers aren't necessarily bloated with corruption. Painting them pale skinned and then using greenstuff to make some of them have buboes and horns here and there should work as well. A load of marauders fight the empire, led by a great unclean one, in the End Times: Nagash, and they're just described as regular chaos marauders, not particularly ill looking! 

That's really interesting to know; thank you for that.  I am still very new so don't know any of the history of the old world.  Maybe I will take the plunge and get myself a box of marauders and see how they look when put together.  

17 minutes ago, Locien83 said:

That's really interesting to know; thank you for that.  I am still very new so don't know any of the history of the old world.  Maybe I will take the plunge and get myself a box of marauders and see how they look when put together.  

20 marauders are a decent super cheap unit in any case! I should stress- the models are old school- they're not hugely detailed compared to new AoS stuff, but the multi-pose/multi-part aspect makes them ripe for conversion and greenstuff detailing. 

@Locien83 rotbringers are a lower model count army. That's not a bad thing when you compare to your other pairing choices..such as huge blocks of plaguemonks, marauders (as mentioned) or even the plague bearers! Plaguebearera backed by either a scrivener herald for offense or the poxbringer for defensive synergy is great!! I like marauders because I use a plaguetouched warband battalion from the ever chosen book. I use pox walkers.. without any conversions. I never understand how people say they "don't look AoS" when we have dwarves with guns riding in airships with cannons mounted on them, and free people's guilds armed with rifles and operating steam tanks.. so those wrenches and rifles turned into melee weapons makes perfect sense to me!

14 hours ago, shadowgra said:

It doesn't work in this way.

This is not a weapon by profile and it has its own profile. It is also given by an ability and it is the first time in the game i think in which a model gives a weapon to a unit.

Paired blades have no profile, and you use the single blade one with the extra ability

They are two separate cases. GW will answer on it tho

It is completely a weapon profile, the ability gives you that weapon profile, to be attacked with in the shooting phase.

So yes, I believe it does work in this way and I see no compelling evidence to say I am wrong.

Also, I am not sure if GW will answer on it, their next big FAQ is just before the GHB2018 will drop and they didn't do it in the Maggotkin FAQ (Which was also a very tiny FAQ, mostly wording changes). So even if they do, you'll have quite a wait since their Facebook staff always say in their replies that their answers are not official.

The wording is quite simple. 

At the start of shooting phase, pick a unit.
"That unit can shoot in the shooting phase using the Munificent Bounty Death's Head missile weapon shown above."

To me that's a straight forward ability granting a missile attack, if another Lord of Blights grants the same thing which happens to have the same profile, I don't see anything wrong with it. Its the use of a 2nd ability which just happens to grant the same attack. There is nothing about it not stacking or preventing it from being applied a 2nd time. There is nothing wrong with attacking with multiple missile weapons either.

Its 2 individual Lords of Blight handing over some heads the Blight kings launch. So the 2nd Lord of Blights hands over some more heads and they throw some more!

image.png.58f70238aec481e7430f97b6be79fa8d.png

image.png

3 hours ago, Nikobot said:

The wording is quite simple. 

At the start of shooting phase, pick a unit.
"That unit can shoot in the shooting phase using the Munificent Bounty Death's Head missile weapon shown above."

To me that's a straight forward ability granting a missile attack, if another Lord of Blights grants the same thing which happens to have the same profile, I don't see anything wrong with it. Its the use of a 2nd ability which just happens to grant the same attack. There is nothing about it not stacking or preventing it from being applied a 2nd time. There is nothing wrong with attacking with multiple missile weapons either.

Its 2 individual Lords of Blight handing over some heads the Blight kings launch. So the 2nd Lord of Blights hands over some more heads and they throw some more!

image.png.58f70238aec481e7430f97b6be79fa8d.png

image.png

This

agreed. there is non of the normal terminology there that stops stacking.  in fact its not even stacking per say..... as mentioned  your just giving the unit multiple 1 shot missile weapon profiles.

with no rule saying you cant fire multiple weapons a turn or indeed any stipulation of what happens in the rule if a unit if effected multiple times, then as a permissive rule set, this is totally allowed. 

I hope it's like that, but it could easily be argued that in principle the ability is to give the shooting attack to someone. Once they've got that ability, it can't be given again. In any case, it's pretty clearly an oversight by GW. I'm always surprised at how bad they can be at wording sometimes. 

Archived