Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

18 minutes ago, Avvien said:

Well, based on this correction, summoning trees will always be free - while summoning anything else will cost additonal reinforcement points.

Guess this means I'll need 1 tree to start with, then 1 or 2 more that I can summon for free throughout the game? - Looking at the rules, you gain contagion points fairly quick, and having an extra free tree to place ahead of your path on turn 2 will be useful for charging.

As before I think 3 will initially be sufficient. For those who still can't see the relevancy of the Blight Trees I can only say go and test it ;) 

The additional run/charge options are in Khorne too and I gladly pay about 80 points for that in the form of a Bloodstoker. The fact that you essentially get a free non-removable Bloodstoker here and indeed can quite easily add another 2 is roughly about 240 points of support right there that will be in the game. If players dislike that concept, well, maby then Maggotkin is not for you after all. I am not saying it will win you games, have never said that but am saying the additional support matters.

Likewise the Herald of Nurgle (Poxbringer) has a very neat spell that works for every Plaguebearer unit in his sight. What we basically see here is that there is a strong support line in Nurgle which indeed does not come as obviously from one sole model (like say, a Bloodsecrator) in reality though this is much better for an army as it doesnt mean there is a particular lynchpin you can remove to have the army fall apart.

On top of all this there are many, I repeat many, potent spells in Nurgle which your opponent can't all unbind. Not because your spells are such high rolls but because there is no limit to them for many Nurgle casters.

As before, those who do not value LoS blocking pieces that come for free probably play another type of AoS as I do. As it is placed at the end of the Movement phase it can be placed right in front of you or indeed an angle where your opponent now has a problem with it. FOR FREE.

Cheers,

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can definitely see the strength of the trees, but correct me if I'm wrong, only Horti gets to place free trees every turn right? And it's with the battalion thingy right? How much points is that? Unless you invest those points, and they will be way more than 80, you are only getting one tree. And there are other ways to generate contagion points, which by the way if you are not summoning anything seem situational again. All in all I think it's a way to play nurgle (albeit using a very specific core every time), but definitely not the only possible way and that doesn't mean Maggotkin is not for us. 

One tree for free is still really nice though, plop in where the action is more likely to happen and you are set.

(sorry if the comment makes little sense, I'm on the phone right now)

Just now, BootyKnight said:

How does Pestilens fit in with all the new stuff? They made a mention of being able to run Pestilens units with the new Nurgle stuff. 

Pestilens have the Nurgle keyword, so things that effect Nurgle generally or Nurgle mortals would affect the rats.

2 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Rats are not mortals as they have no keyword.

The verminlord however is a daemon and can benefit from Nurgle daemon lore, artefact and traits

Ah, thought they were mortal, but so the just get generic Nurgle stuff.

EDIT: I had mixed up my rotbringers sorcerer and plague priest wars scrolls I was looking at

40 minutes ago, BootyKnight said:

How does Pestilens fit in with all the new stuff? They made a mention of being able to run Pestilens units with the new Nurgle stuff. 

Well they do gain acces to the Allegiance too so if you want to you could mix trees with rats :) In addition quite some abilities only look for the Nurgle Keyword so thake your advanatges where you can if you want to. GH2017 does have them covered with their own Allegiance, so you'll have to choose.

18 minutes ago, BootyKnight said:

I'm guessing there won't be any changes to their Points/Scrolls? 

There arnt any Clan Pestilens models in this book. Also no point costs and scrolls. Whats worth taking completely depends on army context.

1 minute ago, Avvien said:

Because you can no longer summon nurgle daemons normally :<

"None of the Nurgle Daemons in the book can be summoned by spell."

Then why wouldn't they just have it as 10. It makes no sense on why I must pay for ten but only be able to summon 5

1 minute ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

must

You don't have to buy any, really, unless you want to?

even if you just wanted 5 plaguebearers on the table from the start, you'd still have to field 10, right? - Same reason here, I guess.

At least this way you get to bring in half of your plaguebearers a little sooner, if you want to. Or you can just wait and bring all 10 in at once.

28 minutes ago, Avvien said:

You don't have to buy any, really, unless you want to?

even if you just wanted 5 plaguebearers on the table from the start, you'd still have to field 10, right? - Same reason here, I guess.

At least this way you get to bring in half of your plaguebearers a little sooner, if you want to. Or you can just wait and bring all 10 in at once.

I do not get this either. The only real reason I can come up with for this is if the summoning system is about to be changed for all armies. This is purely speculations but many has predicted an AOS 2.0 rules coming out as a part of Malign Portents. If that is so we might see a new summoning system. One that would work for narrative and matched play. If all armies had a contagion points system, death getting souls, seraphon, collecting eh.. memories or whatever etc. it will suddenly make sense for the weird lists from the MoN tome. For now we spend points as dictated by ghb17 but maybe not for long.

I'm guessing you would be able to use the 5 plaguebearers to top up a unit that has already lost them... not a new unit so wouldn't cost any points?

Edit: Re-reading the contagion points rules it doesn't seem like you can do this as it talks about new units only...

I am really happy about the daemon army news, guo is really good, 2 cast, the blade is really strong and flat damage for late game low hp, slimux tree summoning random and probably some buffs at beasts, probably the resilient buff or 1 mortal wound ability (similar to slimux)

a new battalion xD probably unplayable for points but i hope no : 

Pick up this bundle and receive a trio of revolting Great Unclean Ones, and field them as the Thricefold Befoulment – a Warscroll Battalion for Warhammer Age of Sigmar that allows re-rolls of certain failed rolls and improves the power of the Plague Wind spell.

but right now i really hope they will open up the possibility to play glottkin and 1-2 maggot lords, they are really good models, glot is probably the best right now in the game in my opinion, but 420 points.... :( i hope they will nerf the command or change their useless ability : horrific opponent  or just buff 3+save 

maggoth lords need probably a buff, since guo did, bloab 2 casts? maybe more melee damage for orghotts

i hope it since i dont want to go daemon because they are stronger, i hope really not it

ot : guo op as f..k

Blades of putrefaction could combine quite nicely with any +1 to hit any nurgle unit can get, specially with units with exploding attacks like Blightkings. I'm still not sure how good Rancid visitations is, I mean you have to get really close so it may get dispelled with regularity or your caster may be sniped.

And yeah GUO is really scary but it's also big and slow, so I don't think it's anything else than a good unit for its cost.

1 minute ago, smucreo said:

Blades of putrefaction could combine quite nicely with any +1 to hit any nurgle unit can get, specially with units with exploding attacks like Blightkings. I'm still not sure how good Rancid visitations is, I mean you have to get really close so it may get dispelled with regularity or your caster may be sniped.

And yeah GUO is really scary but it's also big and slow, so I don't think it's anything else than a good unit for its cost.

It's why I believe Plaguebearer bombs are one of the strongest asset. Also not cheap at 30 for 320 but 1. They are incredibly difficult to remove. 2. With GUO command Trait they are heavy hitting. 3. With Blades buff they become a flaming tarpit blob that should pretty much swallow anything in it's reach ;) 

As before, I don't think the GUO has to be slow, it's an option, bell puts him at 8" Move effectively but much more relevant you can run/charge near the free Blight Trees. 

Having said that, Nurgle does seem like an army that requires some true track keeping and good planning. It isn't as straight forward as say Khorne or as heavy magic ftw as Tzeentch. I personally think you'll do fine however because as before all my Contagion point focus would be reserved for planting more trees. So when we're talking about casters that are getting sniped also means we're planting trees in the wrong area ;) 

Archived