Green Terror from the Red Wastes - Orruk Work in Progress

The latest Orruk releases have lured me back to AoS. Listening to the podcasts and watching battle reports has made me excited to get some games in. Now its time to start an army.

I'll follow up here with more on my theme, some WIP shots, and maybe even some fiction. In the meantime here are some choppas I've been making for my 'Ardboys:

694491ca5a628dcaeff780f8e5b867fd.jpg

• 3 months later...

Ok, curious what you all think...

I've chosen to paint the Orruk armor a dark grey color, which I am experimenting doing some inverse purple shading on to give the model a bit more interest and contrast. I feel like I need a proper contrasting color... what do you all think? Some kind of brighter colored detailing? Maybe just lighten the skintone some? I can't decide. 

megaboss2.jpg

megaboss1.jpg

I think you could add some more zest to the green skin. Perhaps adding a washed down moot green or even skarsnik if you want to keep it muted. Final features with a glazed nurgle green would make the green stand out. For any pother features you could use a red if you wanted to add a warm tone towards the green and the purple, which are cold. I would not go to Yellow as it is complementary of purple and overplaying on that is too much basic art school in my opinion. (I am contradicting myself as I did my Maw Crusha yellow with purple horns).

Cant wait to see it finished dude. Your sculpting skills are incredible.

1 hour ago, Lysandestolpe said:

I think you could add some more zest to the green skin. Perhaps adding a washed down moot green or even skarsnik if you want to keep it muted. Final features with a glazed nurgle green would make the green stand out. For any pother features you could use a red if you wanted to add a warm tone towards the green and the purple, which are cold. I would not go to Yellow as it is complementary of purple and overplaying on that is too much basic art school in my opinion. (I am contradicting myself as I did my Maw Crusha yellow with purple horns).

Cant wait to see it finished dude. Your sculpting skills are incredible.

By 'zest' do you mean brightness?  I agree if that is the case. I like the way the warmer, red-blooded parts are looking on the skin (which is only fully developed on the face, rest is only base coated with a bit of shading), but I think the actual green could be brighter. I started with a green which was a bit too pine green, so I went a bit down the drab path. 

Thanks for the good feedback and compliments!

By zest I mean a way to deal with contrast by saturation or brightness... or both. If you chose to do a moot green, you'd need less brightness to get a higher contrast. So it's whatever you like. I don't do moot because I like the muted skin better. So I deal more with bright vs dark.

I really like the green of GW's recepie (Warboss green, skarsnik, with green wash), and I added nurgle green to the tips and glaze them red to the fleshy parts.

For the drab part I went with Death World Forest, Wash with Reikland Fleshshade, back to DWF, Straken Green, Ogryn camo, then Nurgle green to tips with the fleshy wash on it. It looks great IMO.

Best of luck!

By zest I mean a way to deal with contrast by saturation or brightness... or both. If you chose to do a moot green, you'd need less brightness to get a higher contrast. So it's whatever you like. I don't do moot because I like the muted skin better. So I deal more with bright vs dark.

I really like the green of GW's recepie (Warboss green, skarsnik, with green wash), and I added nurgle green to the tips and glaze them red to the fleshy parts.

For the drab part I went with Death World Forest, Wash with Reikland Fleshshade, back to DWF, Straken Green, Ogryn camo, then Nurgle green to tips with the fleshy wash on it. It looks great IMO.

Best of luck!

I ended up doing some glazes with a chartreuse type color from P3 called Wurm Green (I don't know most of the color brand names). I'm very happy with the results. Thanks for the great feedback. Contrast was definitely the problem.

Archived