Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

1 hour ago, Dez said:

There is a lot to fix for KO, even if there is a competetive build or two. Though with the buffs we may get, prepare for our Ballon Boyz to get nerfed in how many can Hitch.

I just want our boats to make more sense regarding save throws. Duardin who are supposed to make exceptional armour etc has a frigate with a 5+ save and an ironclad with a 4+ save? come on.... rend -1 is so easy these they should at least be 4+/3+ respectively at least... also thunderers should have a 3+ imho.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nine7six said:

I just want our boats to make more sense regarding save throws. Duardin who are supposed to make exceptional armour etc has a frigate with a 5+ save and an ironclad with a 4+ save? come on.... rend -1 is so easy these they should at least be 4+/3+ respectively at least... also thunderers should have a 3+ imho.

I completely agree, they need to either up the save or drastically reduce the points cost.

50 minutes ago, nine7six said:

Definitely agree with the improved saves for the ships.  They’re way too thin skinned as is.

Also, this is pretty controversial, but I think the khemist augmentation rule should just be a flat +1 attack to the unit all round rather than a specific weapon.  It makes sense fluff wise, and if units are limited in their special weapon choices it’s more effective.  Also, I think this would help make ship based armies more viable.  You can boost your small ship going units to a level they can actually perform at.  I’ve taken units of arkanauts at 10 strong, and they cannot fight their way out of a wet paper bag. :|

Because that’s a big bug bear of mine at the moment.  The ship heavy lists don’t do very well.  They’re supposed to be ship faring overlords GW!  What the hell? xD

1 hour ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

The ship heavy lists don’t do very well.  They’re supposed to be ship faring overlords GW!  What the hell? xD

I think you would see more frigates if they weren't so easy to kill. It's a legitimate risk to keep any units on a frigate past the first turn because they can crumple. The idea that a frigate and gun hauler also have the same armour characteristics as our battleline troops is a little ridiculous as well. Even from a fluff perspective. 

15 hours ago, ParachuteHopper said:

I think you would see more frigates if they weren't so easy to kill. It's a legitimate risk to keep any units on a frigate past the first turn because they can crumple. The idea that a frigate and gun hauler also have the same armour characteristics as our battleline troops is a little ridiculous as well. Even from a fluff perspective. 

Absolutely.  I agree with what others have said and back boosting their save to 4+ (and an ironclads to 3+).  

I think how the bombs work might need a second look too. 

6 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Absolutely.  I agree with what others have said and back boosting their save to 4+ (and an ironclads to 3+).  

I think how the bombs work might need a second look too. 

But then the Ironclad is 2+ in cover!

On 4/12/2018 at 2:51 AM, AlvinAOS said:

First time making a KO list. Please kindly advise. Thanks!

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Fleetmaster 
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 
Aether-Khemist (140)
Aether-Khemist (140)

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
- 2x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Drill Cannons
- 1x Grapnel Launchers
6 x Skywardens (200)
- 2x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Drill Cannons
- 1x Grapnel Launchers

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Aetherspheric Endrinds (Barak-Zilfin Skyvessel)
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Skyhook
Grundstok Gunhauler (220)
- Main Gun: Drill Cannon

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

I’d think about dropping one frigate. If you really like the Gunhaulers you also might think about a lord Ordinator. The KO heroes don’t really bring enough to the table to make them an autoinclude as your general. He’s a nice flex for artillary.  I also play Zilfin. I find the Ironclad to be a better choice for clown car shinanigans by getting more shooting on target. I take a 20 man arkaunaut squad with volley guns, 6 endrinriggers and 2 khemists and make a very big problem for my opponent when that drops on the table. With glory seeker and ware the skies that usually kills off hero bubbles, skyfires and the like on drop.

1 hour ago, Sactownbri said:

I’d think about dropping one frigate. If you really like the Gunhaulers you also might think about a lord Ordinator. The KO heroes don’t really bring enough to the table to make them an autoinclude as your general. He’s a nice flex for artillary.  I also play Zilfin. I find the Ironclad to be a better choice for clown car shinanigans by getting more shooting on target. I take a 20 man arkaunaut squad with volley guns, 6 endrinriggers and 2 khemists and make a very big problem for my opponent when that drops on the table. With glory seeker and ware the skies that usually kills off hero bubbles, skyfires and the like on drop.

OMG, this is a great idea! I totally forgot about Lord-Ordinator. Will research on him. As I just start KO, I want to hold back on the ironclad first till i more familiar with the deployment and game play. Will get one in the near future .

Thank you!

Kharadron-Overlords04.jpgMy hope is that fragmentation charge changes from a mediocre melee attack to a bombing run Passover. It won't help the ironclad with his 8" move. But the gunhauler with 12" (plus ahead full rule) could really benefit from causing like d6 mortal wounds on a 4+ for a unit it passed over.  Giving the gunhauler a real porpose.

Likewise I think heroes embarked on vessel should be able to use command abilities and unbind range (I'm Barak-Nar so I'm bias).

Also would be nice if we could have some number of models able to fire from the decks of the ships. Maybe 3 for frigate, 5 for ironclad... 

Edit: added some examples of people shooting from the deck from the KO artwork...

1 hour ago, Orik Jarlson said:

So guys i finaly got myself a ironclad and the dam thing won't stay on it's base! 

So what's everyone doing to keep their ships airborne? 

I seen someone who used a flyer base instead since it offered more stability. Dunno where I seen it though. One other person used two bases. 

15 hours ago, Zetsu20 said:

for me 1 ship that enough... 

only 1 frigate for deployment tactics

our ship isn’t good about shooting too.

The only ship worth taking one of is the Ironclad in my opinion. Frigates lack firepower and the rules to make them be consistent. The Ironclad is like having a second General with the flag abilities buffing itself, it has torpedoes that will consistently do damage and it can carry a full compliment of screening units and heroes with no compromises.

8 hours ago, Tittliewinks22 said:

Kharadron-Overlords04.jpgMy hope is that fragmentation charge changes from a mediocre melee attack to a bombing run Passover. It won't help the ironclad with his 8" move. But the gunhauler with 12" (plus ahead full rule) could really benefit from causing like d6 mortal wounds on a 4+ for a unit it passed over.  Giving the gunhauler a real porpose.

Likewise I think heroes embarked on vessel should be able to use command abilities and unbind range (I'm Barak-Nar so I'm bias).

Also would be nice if we could have some number of models able to fire from the decks of the ships. Maybe 3 for frigate, 5 for ironclad... 

Edit: added some examples of people shooting from the deck from the KO artwork...

Some good ideas there.  I always thought that the grudgesettler  bombs would have worked better as a Passover attack in the same mold as a gyrocopter/gyro-bomber bombs.  

A Barak-Mhornar Admiral on board an Ironcald with the opportunistic privateers trait would be sweet if he could still use it.  Running and shooting combined along with good old fashioned preferred enemy would be sweet. 

9 hours ago, Orik Jarlson said:

So guys i finaly got myself a ironclad and the dam thing won't stay on it's base! 

So what's everyone doing to keep their ships airborne? 

I've drilled a hole right before the central fin and used a strong metal rod. 

42 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Some good ideas there.  I always thought that the grudgesettler  bombs would have worked better as a Passover attack in the same mold as a gyrocopter/gyro-bomber bombs.  

A Barak-Mhornar Admiral on board an Ironcald with the opportunistic privateers trait would be sweet if he could still use it.  Running and shooting combined along with good old fashioned preferred enemy would be sweet. 

Both are good ideas. It would also change  style of the gun hauler justify the speed and movement shenanigans hike giving it another role compared to the other tow ships. 

Heroes should definitely be able to use abilities from the ship deck. I mean come on that's the whole point of being  up there. Maybe a system of flags so on a 2+ the abilities go off instead of auto to show the chance of misunderstanding. 

Having the heroes active while in the ship would also give a real sense of life on the ship rather than the current feeling of everyone inside the sardine can waiting to be jettisoned off to their all but certain doom. They are ship faring people, they should be able to fight from their ships!!

I’d like to see the frigate allow 5 models to shoot/attack from deck and the ironclad 10 would solve a lot of the issues and you could allow them to be targeted but count in cover (like crews of war machines but only allies when shot at) 

5 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Another idea they could try for the Overlords is for some way for our ships to function like a 40k flier; can’t charge or be charged except by other fliers, with shooting affected too.  

This is the most logical choice except the fact that I don’t know if every army has access to fly or ranged attacks strong enough to take down our ships at -1 to hit. 

4 hours ago, eciu said:

Don't they still sell unchanged KO unit cards ?

They do, though I think they go for about 10 bucks less than the other unit cards, I assume in recognition of how bad they pooched it, but still trying to get some money of folks. 

Archived