Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

On 5/1/2017 at 10:58 PM, Mikester1487 said:

Right now it gives no noticeable difference other than not rolling dice in a later phase.  Perhaps ghb2 will have some change to that? 

I suppose you get an extra chance at charging...  well and you probably wouls move father on a charge than you would on a 4 inch dwarf move, and you'd have youe shooting phase still to go so getting like a 7-8 inch charge in the hero phase that might open up some targets for some of the short ranged fumigator type weapons that just moving would.. 

That said, i feel like GW probably meant for it to do something more and dorked up the wording. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

side note... anyone know of any good conversion heads for irondrakes? I would really rather like to get a box and fix them up so they look more ship-shape.

This is what I did, I shaved off the rifles down, and then put the barrels of the cannon on from the iron drake kit

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

2 hours ago, Connelj2 said:

This is what I did, I shaved off the rifles down, and then put the barrels of the cannon on from the iron drake kit

You know.. doesnt'look bad... but your paint skills really need a few upgrades :D

Hey guys,

I'm attending a Slow grow League with some friends  but I struggle to come up with a decent 500 point  starting list on which I can then expand further (the steps are 250 point increase per month)

My initial thought was to go with 3x10 Arkanauts (3 light skyhooks each) and a khemist.

Do you guys have any better suggestions?

I'd be grateful for any advice :)

Barak-Thryng, Company w/volleyguns, Khemist, Frigate? Then your next growth could be 2 companies with skyhooks. 3rd could be Admiral or Endrinmaster and Endrinriggers. I personally think that fitting in a skyvessel at 500 will be strong against other 500 armies. Still havent actually played any games with them...but on paper it sounds like it would work to me

8 hours ago, Connelj2 said:

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

well, problem is I wanna be cheap and only buy the irondrakes box to get all ten dwarfs. I actually already have a general idea for the backpack: http://maxmini.eu/conversion-bits/torsos-and-arms/biohazard-backpacks-bits 

slap these on the guys back's and then I have a bulkier dwarf, and maybe add some green stuff wires to attach the guns to the packs. My only issue now is the helmets. I cannot find something equally as good as the thunderer's helmets, and I don't know how sci-fi I can make the iron drake's helmets.  I was thinking of getting these heads but on further inspection they seem way too space mariney for my tastes: http://maxmini.eu/biohazard-heads-bits

Do you have any pics of the conversions before priming? I'm curious what they look like. Mainly I'm curious as to if they fit into the aesthetic. 

I'm still going back and forth on what I'm going to do with mine. I like the way the weapons for the Thunderers look...I just wish we had been given options, like the Devastator sprue for Space Marines.

I've got a bunch of IG mortars and bits I was thinking of using the mortar bomb itself on the end of the aether rifle but thought it would be a bit lame. I'd like to do something better, I'm just still mulling it over.

1 hour ago, Dez said:

Do you have any pics of the conversions before priming? I'm curious what they look like. Mainly I'm curious as to if they fit into the aesthetic. 

I'm still going back and forth on what I'm going to do with mine. I like the way the weapons for the Thunderers look...I just wish we had been given options, like the Devastator sprue for Space Marines.

I've got a bunch of IG mortars and bits I was thinking of using the mortar bomb itself on the end of the aether rifle but thought it would be a bit lame. I'd like to do something better, I'm just still mulling it over.

No saidly I don't, this was right before I started painted, I plan on doing 5 more after my tournament this weekend

I ended up making a mold and casting some extra mortars and cannons.  Then I cut the aethercarbine rifles at the sphere joint and cut up the other weapons so I could magnetize them. I added some green stuff in the shoulder joint and will have smaller magnets on the hand and side of the weapon. Then I can swap amomg the three.  Casts are okay, but cheaper than buying bits and will hopefully look better when cleaned up and painted. 

20170505_154524.jpg

20170505_154428.jpg

2 hours ago, Dez said:

I'm excited for mine to get here...but I need to paint and build 1000 points worth of stuff for a doubles tournament on May 21 before I do.

I'm going a doubles too in June! Taking a full foot force of KO though as bit disappointed with the frigates.

My original list was Barak ubraz: khemyst 2X10 company with 3 hooks each and 2 frigates with cannons. Now it's Barak ubraz: admiral, khemyst, 2X20 company with 6 hooks each and 6 riggers with 2 volley and 2 drills. My partner for the event is taking sylvaneth so hopefully will be OK! 

Out of curiosity, what is the plan on taking riggers over wardens when you do not have ships and are maximizing the special weapons? I am just curious because I personally was thinking about it, and it seems to me that other than fixing ships, they have the same save, same wounds, and movement so it was just a cheaper option to take wardens. I am definitely very interested if there is something I am missing about the riggers though.

Well first thing is either way my list will be below 1000pts, 920 with wardens, 960 with riggers. Secondly riggers look more cooler aesthetically pleasing. Thirdly those 2 guys who don't have special weapons put out more dakka at longer range than wardens and the saws are just better in raw power than pikes when against tougher foes. 

I'm there to crack open heroes and monsters whilst the sylvaneth can kill the troops.

8 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

...the saws are just better in raw power than pikes when against tougher foes. 

This.  I don't think people realize the gap in power between the default Riggers and Wardens without special weapons.  In every way the Riggers outclass Wardens.  The saws are king, and with only 1 Khemist, the saws easily overtake the pikes.

Well in old Khazalid unbaraki means 'oathbreaker' but Barak means 'fortified' 'door' or 'gateway'

Given Urbaz means trading post or market, you could infer that Barak-Urbaz is 'Trader Gate' or 'Trader Fort' which seems rather simple. That said I like the fact that unbaraki is oathbreaker, which suggests that 'fort' and 'oath' have similar roots, perhaps due to the security of such a claim in Dwarven society, which means that the Barak in a skyport name could be closer to something like  'Fort of the Oath of X' which ties neatly into their existence as being based on interpretations of the code. In which case Barak-Urbaz would be 'Port of the Oath of Trade', and I don't think it is much of a stretch to substitute 'oath' for 'code' which gives us a very Kharadron name.**

Mhornar means shadow, Thryng means shrine/temple, Zon means sun.

I think it's easy to conclude that they're not straying too far from the Khazalid roots.

Kharadron is neer explained either, but Dron is storm/thunder and Karak is 'mountain' so they're basically "Storm Mountain Overlords" which makes sense, as the clouds where they hide are essentially the mountains of the sky.

I have noticed through this that I have named my Frigate Karak-Ztorm (Enduring Storm) but it should actually be 'Karaz-Dron' so I might have to rename it as I guess Enduring Storm Overlords is also a very likely name for them.

**I have seen that Baraz is actually oath, but I think the root of both words are important.

Source: http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/tutorials/article/114-dwarf-language-khazalid-a-definitive-guide/

Archived