Nobody is Talking About Khorne Bloodforged and Why I Think They Should

redbeardboss

Im surprised nobody seems to be putting up lists with the Bloodforged included. 
Leaders
Skullgrinder (80)
Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- Goreaxes
- Goreaxes
Units
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
Battalions
Bloodforged (40)
Total: 1080/2000

They all ignore Rend -1 in combat so that right their is nice but it gets really good with the next ability. Start of your hero phase roll a dice for every enemy MODEL within 3 inches. On a roll of 6 they attack themselves or their unit. This is amazing because most fighting units have the stats to kill themselves in combat.  This also happens in the hero phase so a chance to earn blood tithe points before spending them in the same phase. A 1 in 6 chance to kill pretty much anything in combat with you at the start of the hero phase for 1080 points. Combine this with blood points you could be fighting in the hero phase, then fighting in combat, then depending on what they kill fighting again or making them fight themselves.

Here is an example of some extra goodies you can fit in without looking at adding a second battalion and having 50 blood warriors on the board.

Allegiance: Chaos
Skullgrinder (80)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Bloodbathed Axe
Bloodthirster Of Unfettered Fury (300)
20 x Blood Warriors (400)
- Goreaxes
20 x Blood Warriors (400)
- Goreaxes
- Goreaxes
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
Bloodforged (40)

Total: 2000/2000

Whats your Bloodforged list ideas?

Lists look solid granted I don't think the ability itself is amazing, it's good nontheless but it also does things that you might have done in your own combat phase anyway.
What I will say however is that the ability becomes better with larger footprints as the AoE drastically increases then, which is something I like and which is something I'd like to test on, however that's not really possible on anything other as Wrathmongers who also have this kind of ability semi build in.

In any case, if you really like Blood Warriors and Wrathmongers I do think it's a great Battalion to use! You can also consider Bloodstorm which is just a step away from having enough Wrathmongers. To me the one or the other is not ****** better. 
In general though I will say that The Goretide still is one of the best choices if you are going to include Blood Warriors, that additional speed is very essential. 

Depends on how you interpret the FAQ for battalion of battalion rules, but this is what I've come up with. The general has been bouncing around alot seeing who I like it the most on. Typically its either the Skull grinder or the Mighty Lord. Here it is:

**Heroes:**
Mighty Lord of Khorne (140)
    -General
    -Disciple of Khorne
    -Mark of the Destroyer

Exalted Deathbringer (80)
    -Bloodbite Axe/Runemarked Shield
    -Gorecleaver

Skullgrinder (80)
    -Mark of the Destroyer
Bloodsecrator (120)
    -Banner of Wrath

**Units**
10x Blood Warriors (200)
5x Blood Warriors (100)
10x Blood Warriors (200)
10x Skullreapers (280)
10x Skullreapers (280)
5x Wrathmongers (180)
5x Wrathmongers (180)

**Formations**
Bloodforged (40)
The Goretide (40)
Slaughterborn (80)

Total: 2000/2000

@Killax

The main reason why I dropped down to one 'secrator is that they no longer stack on top of eachother anymore. While I completely agree it's normally 2, or the new Gore Pillgrims, for the 'secrators. I feel like 5 more Skullreapers are better for the Gotetide route. I should find out through testing over time! 

Just now, Voltaire26 said:

@Killax

The main reason why I dropped down to one 'secrator is that they no longer stack on top of eachother anymore. While I completely agree it's normally 2, or the new Gore Pillgrims, for the 'secrators. I feel like 5 more Skullreapers are better for the Gotetide route. I should find out through testing over time! 

I can't confirm that they do not stack, as far as I know that one is still very much up in the air. As it doesn't say it doesn't stack.

Otherwise I think you can go both routes, a lot of Skullreapers are also always a great thing to include. Plus more synergy from The Goretide is very useful.

19 hours ago, Voltaire26 said:

Depends on how you interpret the FAQ for battalion of battalion rules, but this is what I've come up with. The general has been bouncing around alot seeing who I like it the most on. Typically its either the Skull grinder or the Mighty Lord. Here it is:

**Heroes:**
Mighty Lord of Khorne (140)
    -General
    -Disciple of Khorne
    -Mark of the Destroyer

Exalted Deathbringer (80)
    -Bloodbite Axe/Runemarked Shield
    -Gorecleaver

Skullgrinder (80)
    -Mark of the Destroyer
Bloodsecrator (120)
    -Banner of Wrath

**Units**
10x Blood Warriors (200)
5x Blood Warriors (100)
10x Blood Warriors (200)
10x Skullreapers (280)
10x Skullreapers (280)
5x Wrathmongers (180)
5x Wrathmongers (180)

**Formations**
Bloodforged (40)
The Goretide (40)
Slaughterborn (80)

Total: 2000/2000

Need 3 units of blood warriors in the Slaughterborn for Goretide and 1 in the Bloodforged so will have to break one of the 10's into 2 5's. Also the Bloodforged doesn't sit in the Goretide as it is in the list restricted to between 3 and 7 just to be clear.

But that looks like an intimidating list with all those Skullreapers and Wrathmongers! I like it! :D

@Gilby

There's been a lot up in the air around my LGS about if the phrasing "any additional Khorne Bloodbound units or Warscrolls Battalions" means that the addition itself becomes part of the formation and thus fits the FAQ terminology of 'sub-battalions'. If it doesn't, then I'll split the warriors and all is good. :)

@Kaleb Daark

It's certainly up there! I currently need 2 more boxes of Wrathmongers to finish it up. I've been proxying them with units of my friends Tau models, and can't wait until I get the real deal! It's not quite the same when your front lines goes from axe wielding, blood crazed, maniacs...to robots. :( 

Thanks for your comments everyone!

2 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

and so it should for the amount of chedder six boxes of those puppies will cost!.  Nice list.

Yeah! I've seen the suggestion of buying 2 boxes and a box of Bloodwarriors, making them as Wrathmongers and using the ample leftover bits to convert the Bloodwarriors into Skullreapers.

1 minute ago, redbeardboss said:

yeah i was thinking if ya dont max out the blood forged taking another battalion that gets extra move would be a good addition 

Id certainly go for it, it's a really small step and The Goretide is 100% worth the 40 points.

19 hours ago, Gilby said:

Yeah! I've seen the suggestion of buying 2 boxes and a box of Bloodwarriors, making them as Wrathmongers and using the ample leftover bits to convert the Bloodwarriors into Skullreapers.

Im doing this, however you should get 40mm bases for them as it could be considered cheating to put them on smaller bases

22 hours ago, Gilby said:

I'd like to see examples of this to see what the end result is like.

I really like the look of this, multiple units of Wrathmongers will always give your opponent pause for thought.  For me the issue is that it doesn't offer any delivery mechanism to shoot it up the board.  The ignore -1 rend is great and would be amazing if it was against all attacks, but it's only on attacks made in the combat phase so quite limited.  The "attack yourself" rule is also really impressive on paper, but a 1 in 6 chance is pretty low in the grand scheme of things.  Against monsters it has the potential to be pretty brutal, but chaff could be failry mediocre.  Although I'm sure I will field one at some point, I think there are better battalions on offer in the new book.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I really like the look of this, multiple units of Wrathmongers will always give your opponent pause for thought.  For me the issue is that it doesn't offer any delivery mechanism to shoot it up the board.  The ignore -1 rend is great and would be amazing if it was against all attacks, but it's only on attacks made in the combat phase so quite limited.  The "attack yourself" rule is also really impressive on paper, but a 1 in 6 chance is pretty low in the grand scheme of things.  Against monsters it has the potential to be pretty brutal, but chaff could be failry mediocre.  Although I'm sure I will field one at some point, I think there are better battalions on offer in the new book.

The thing is that Infectious Bloodletting is fun and can be really good (it's really up in the air and a matter of luck).
One of the only things that keeps me back on using this Battalion is the straight forward and clear other options that are, however it remains a nice and cheap Battalion that isn't difficult to use and most certainly not overcosted at 40 points.

My moral really on this remains if you like Wrathmongers and Blood Warriors there shouldn't be anything stopping you from using this Battalion. 

I personally think that for the same cost The Goretide offers a strenght that is/was a typical Khorne weakness (full melee with medium speed) however having Infectious Bloodletting in combination with Wrathmongers does mean that your opponent is bound to kill himself, this is what I'd call Khorne's Humor. :) 

It certainly caught my eye. Ignoring rend is a big deal.

More generally, Khorne should have enough melee choppy by default such that they don't need to buff that much more. What they need are things to keep units alive and movement tricks - so my focus would be on those.

The exception will be certain tanky units, such as the Mourngul, Nagash, Bastiladon, Treelord Ancient, Kurnoth Hunters where Khorne do need something special to open these cans.

1 minute ago, Nico said:

The exception will be certain tanky units, such as the Mourngul, Nagash, Bastiladon, Treelord Ancient, Kurnoth Hunters where Khorne do need something special to open these cans.

Certainly, though any Bloodthirster with Behemoth's Bane is the type of can opener that can do the trick. The ammount of damage the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster can push through with the Command Trait that adds +1 to damage is quite absurd, even against something like a Mournghul. 

Im on board with this battallion (in combo with gore pilgrims)

Its definately one to make your opponent think in a different way about how they play and when they would engage in combat.

The battallion buffs arent dependent on the survivability of any single character, every unit gets it. Big tick in the box.

Ignoring rend is great, but its only for combat

The big thing to factor in is that the your trying to roll 6's at the start of your hero phase. No murderlust tricks to get you in in your turn and then triggering it.

If youre against a gunline you may find your opponent continually letting you charge and subsequently retreating in with a skirmish screen in their turn to keep you at bay while pumping you full of shots.

If not, youve had to survive a round of combat with blood warriors in your opponents turn- theres going to be some careful picking of models for casualty removal either to pile in + attack vs having positon for max coverage of 3"

You will probably even see your opponent taking away their front line instead of rear ranks.

Bigger impact with good dice rolling against smaller elite units, fewer dice to roll though

If this principle rule of AoS is to have fun, this is that!

few people speak of this battalion because it make your army better in combat phase, which never was the weakness of khorne. Everyone speak about the goretide because it correct "a bit" the big weakness of khorne bloodbound : reaching the opponent army

22 hours ago, ledha said:

few people speak of this battalion because it make your army better in combat phase, which never was the weakness of khorne. Everyone speak about the goretide because it correct "a bit" the big weakness of khorne bloodbound : reaching the opponent army

to me this battalion makes your army better in the hero phase.

Archived