Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

1 hour ago, Siegfried VII said:

The Dragonlord is a great choice as he has the movement to keep up with the army and has very good offensive stats. My only concern is that he won't be general so he won't be able to use his command ability which is great for him and makes him a true killing machine...

Yes you can just use the old warscrolls. :D

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Siegfried VII said:

The Dragonlord is a great choice as he has the movement to keep up with the army and has very good offensive stats. My only concern is that he won't be general so he won't be able to use his command ability which is great for him and makes him a true killing machine...

Try it out! Let us know how it goes. :)

I would have tried it too by now but my dragon got lost when I moved last :(

EDIT: no idea why my post happened three times, sorry guys!

3 hours ago, Tidings said:

Try it out! Let us know how it goes. :)

I would have tried it too by now but my dragon got lost when I moved last :(

EDIT: no idea why my post happened three times, sorry guys!

That's the plan. Luckily I have already two fully painted Dragonlords for my Order Draconis army, so I can playtest before I commit and paint the 3rd the wanderer way. :)

4 hours ago, WABBIT said:

Yes you can just use the old warscrolls. :D

No thanks... :P

This work? Does it make me a bad man?

HEROS

Nomad Prince (80) - general, myst walker, Falcon of Holthaven

waywatcher lord (100) x4

BATTLELINE

Gladeguard x30 (360)

Gladeguard x30 (360)

Gladeguard x30 (360)

SCENARY

Sylvaneth Wyldwood (40)

ALLIES

Spirit of Durthu (400)

Question though... can an ally hero take an artefact from their list? If not, no worries. If so, BRIARSHEATH! 

4 hours ago, Lanoss said:

This work? Does it make me a bad man?

HEROS

Nomad Prince (80) - general, myst walker, Falcon of Holthaven

waywatcher lord (100) x4

BATTLELINE

Gladeguard x30 (360)

Gladeguard x30 (360)

Gladeguard x30 (360)

SCENARY

Sylvaneth Wyldwood (40)

ALLIES

Spirit of Durthu (400)

Question though... can an ally hero take an artefact from their list? If not, no worries. If so, BRIARSHEATH! 

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, allies can't take an artifact. Also, you can't purchase scenery. The reason there are points is so you can spend reserve points for units who can summon it.

As for the list, it's a high output list that is very vulnerable if you get into combat. So long as you move a lot...well, it will be very interesting. Let us know how it goes.

1 hour ago, Yeled said:

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, allies can't take an artifact. Also, you can't purchase scenery. The reason there are points is so you can spend reserve points for units who can summon it.

As for the list, it's a high output list that is very vulnerable if you get into combat. So long as you move a lot...well, it will be very interesting. Let us know how it goes.

1. Can't take artefact

2. Can purchase scenery... But wont be able to actually place it on the table w/o TLA.

3. I've found that on my first turn of teleporting I end up in charge range (due to wanting to hit something vital not easily reached) and EG worked well as chaff for that. 

image.png.e6027889f2ef6ea30151ddab0b38f0ae.png

If it's a friendly game no reason why you can't use this scroll. Have fun it's a game remember not a competition. You don't even have to use battleline restrictions if you don't want to. Always discuss how you want to play with your opponent before the game. Open play can be anything you want and many use the points values just to get an idea of balancing forces.

You can stick to Matched play rules RAW but many armies are horribly unbalanced and rules can be exploited by over competitive opponents so my advice is play open play and cherry pick the rules you want to use to build a fun framework. War is never "even" and unless you're in a tournament the rules are just a guide anyway! We all tend to forget that a lot. 

If you are practicing for a tourney then forget everything I just said :D

@WABBIT I love how happy you are with that FAQ ruling hahaha :P

@Lanoss That list will work, but like @Aezeal said getting a single string of EG will benefit you greatly. You will be charged and having them absorb that is far better than losing GG. They won't last long, but they'll buy you enough time to do the full strength shooting you need. I would probably drop Durthu in favor of a regular Treelord. They die about the same speed and will both be priority targets, so you may as well get the cheaper one. Durthu also relies heavily on Sylvaneth synergies to get into combat and work best, and he is typically taken with a Loremaster to make him truly insane. 

Also I would probably take the Starcaster Bow instead of the Falcon on the Nomad Prince. It's a very reliable MW where you need it, great for finishing stuff off or chipping away at something. It's always useful, so it's value is never wasted. 

6 hours ago, WABBIT said:

image.png.e6027889f2ef6ea30151ddab0b38f0ae.png

If it's a friendly game no reason why you can't use this scroll. Have fun it's a game remember not a competition. You don't even have to use battleline restrictions if you don't want to. Always discuss how you want to play with your opponent before the game. Open play can be anything you want and many use the points values just to get an idea of balancing forces.

You can stick to Matched play rules RAW but many armies are horribly unbalanced and rules can be exploited by over competitive opponents so my advice is play open play and cherry pick the rules you want to use to build a fun framework. War is never "even" and unless you're in a tournament the rules are just a guide anyway! We all tend to forget that a lot. 

If you are practicing for a tourney then forget everything I just said :D

If it's a friendly game you are an ass if you use this just to get some advantage. Just saying :D 

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

If it's a friendly game you are an ass if you use this just to get some advantage. Just saying :D 

That's not a nice thing to say @Aezeal. It's not an advantage it's a fair and LEGAL way to play. It's not even an advantage - having a sylvaneth wyldwood near non sylvaneth troops is a liability more than advantage. Would it really kill you to let him play the army he just posted? its just a game and its supposed to be fun.

Please check the the forum rules about insulting other posters. 

Agree, let's keep it civil gentlemen. @Aezeal the rules and FAQ are clear about the use of old Warscrolls. If you don't want to let someone play with old models they love, fine, don't let them. But you don't have to be aggressive, rude or accusatory about it. 

I think in general we understand that old warscrolls technically CAN be used in friendly games, if your opponent is cool with it. We mostly want to talk about Wanderers going forward though which doesn't include the use of compendium units sadly. There's no point arguing over it or bringing it up from now on imo. 

RIP Wood Elves of old, let's look towards the future and be friendly (except to the enemies of Wanderers) :D

12 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Agree, let's keep it civil gentlemen. @Aezeal the rules and FAQ are clear about the use of old Warscrolls. If you don't want to let someone play with old models they love, fine, don't let them. But you don't have to be aggressive, rude or accusatory about it. 

I think in general we understand that old warscrolls technically CAN be used in friendly games, if your opponent is cool with it. We mostly want to talk about Wanderers going forward though which doesn't include the use of compendium units sadly. There's no point arguing over it or bringing it up from now on imo. 

RIP Wood Elves of old, let's look towards the future and be friendly (except to the enemies of Wanderers) :D

I agree, I just don't like rules bullies.

and no I won't give up on wood elves! NEVER!! :D 

Everyone here is still nice and not an ass even if you don't agree with me.

Group Hug? x

If we, like some people here have said before,  would be better of with order alliance (mainly for the hurricanum I don't have) wouldn't going all in on waywatchers with their new points value be the way to go? I'd not really tought of it before but with 5 for 80 points they seem pretty economic.  And at 5+ save and -1 to hit in cover (against ALL attacks) they are pretty durable too.

Reavers as battleline, backed up by waywatchers, waywatcher lord hero's and a hurricanum and some melee hunters or sisters of twilight to crack defended objectives... seems like a decent army with all sorts of good stuff and still having a wood elf feel and play style. 

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

If we, like some people here have said before,  would be better of with order alliance (mainly for the hurricanum I don't have) wouldn't going all in on waywatchers with their new points value be the way to go? I'd not really tought of it before but with 5 for 80 points they seem pretty economic.  And at 5+ save and -1 to hit in cover (against ALL attacks) they are pretty durable too.

Reavers as battleline, backed up by waywatchers, waywatcher lord hero's and a hurricanum and some melee hunters or sisters of twilight to crack defended objectives... seems like a decent army with all sorts of good stuff and still having a wood elf feel and play style. 

Yes! This is actually what my current list is using, especially since they scale really well with the Hurricanum's +1. Here's my list I'm playing tomorrow night.

Allegiance: Order
Celestial Battlemage on Celestial Hurricanum (380)
- General
- Trait: Tenacious 
Annoited on Frostheart Phoenix (260)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone (lol)
Waywatcher Lord (100)
Waywatcher Lord (100)
Waywatcher Lord (100)
Waywatcher Lord (100)

20 x Glade Guard (240)
5 x Waywatchers (80)
5 x Waywatchers (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Scythes
5 x Retributors (220)
- 1x Starsoul Mace
3 x Tree Kin (100)

Total: 1980/2000

I thought about adding Reavers but I don't have models ready to use for them atm. Otherwise, this list is very similar to the last one I pointed, the only difference being that the Treelord was swapped for Retributors. I'll see how this works, but Retributors can be used to screen a wider distance than a Treelord, and they scale with the Hurricanum well, doubling their chance to proc 2 mortal wounds on the hit. If needed, they can do well on their own, but I'm planning to send the Hunters off to capture objectives more than the Retributors, since they are a little faster and tougher to kill. 

Tree Kin are fantastic value, their only flaw being no rend and an average 4+ to hit. This is mostly remedied by the Hurricanum, making them basically an elite unit for 100 points. I shifted the Phoenix Stone to the Annointed and made the Hurricanum my General instead - this is because I'm planning to keep the Hurricanum safe and let the Frostheart dive into the fray. The next tournament I'm in grants bonus points for killing a general, so no point making a suicide distraction unit worth more to the enemy. 

I'm toying with the idea of swapping the Hunters for a Treelord again. The Hunters are great though, and reliably durable. With a Treelord I would be right at 2000 points, but with Hunters I get to roll on the Triumph's table. Bloodthirsty (reroll wounds) is fantastic on Glade Guard the turn they use Bodkins. The last round in the tournament will be a kill game for victory points and having 20 less points is an advantage of sorts, since it jut counts in your favor at the end. Sooooo I'm unsure, leaning towards keeping the Kurnoths!

5 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Yes! This is actually what my current list is using, especially since they scale really well with the Hurricanum's +1. Here's my list I'm playing tomorrow night.

Allegiance: Order
Celestial Battlemage on Celestial Hurricanum (380)
- General
- Trait: Tenacious 
Annoited on Frostheart Phoenix (260)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone (lol)
Waywatcher Lord (100)
Waywatcher Lord (100)
Waywatcher Lord (100)
Waywatcher Lord (100)

20 x Glade Guard (240)
5 x Waywatchers (80)
5 x Waywatchers (80)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Scythes
5 x Retributors (220)
- 1x Starsoul Mace
3 x Tree Kin (100)

Total: 1980/2000

I thought about adding Reavers but I don't have models ready to use for them atm. Otherwise, this list is very similar to the last one I pointed, the only difference being that the Treelord was swapped for Retributors. I'll see how this works, but Retributors can be used to screen a wider distance than a Treelord, and they scale with the Hurricanum well, doubling their chance to proc 2 mortal wounds on the hit. If needed, they can do well on their own, but I'm planning to send the Hunters off to capture objectives more than the Retributors, since they are a little faster and tougher to kill. 

Tree Kin are fantastic value, their only flaw being no rend and an average 4+ to hit. This is mostly remedied by the Hurricanum, making them basically an elite unit for 100 points. I shifted the Phoenix Stone to the Annointed and made the Hurricanum my General instead - this is because I'm planning to keep the Hurricanum safe and let the Frostheart dive into the fray. The next tournament I'm in grants bonus points for killing a general, so no point making a suicide distraction unit worth more to the enemy. 

I'm toying with the idea of swapping the Hunters for a Treelord again. The Hunters are great though, and reliably durable. With a Treelord I would be right at 2000 points, but with Hunters I get to roll on the Triumph's table. Bloodthirsty (reroll wounds) is fantastic on Glade Guard the turn they use Bodkins. The last round in the tournament will be a kill game for victory points and having 20 less points is an advantage of sorts, since it jut counts in your favor at the end. Sooooo I'm unsure, leaning towards keeping the Kurnoths!

1 thing: waywatchers are not battleline anymore which is why I mentioned the reavers. But more GG would work too :D. I'd remove the treeking and the retributors for this I guess. Doesn't really leave  THAT much waywatchers though.  The Hurricanum, a large hitter (pheonix here, but could be that dragon AND 4 waywatchers) do take a hell of a lot of points. I'd say go 2 units of reavers for batteline and maybe leave the big monster for a few more hunters which are slightly cheaper. 

55 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Ohhhh ****** thanks for pointing that out! I'll need to remake the list. That really sucks actually. :(

I was annoyed by that, too, which is why I actually sold three waywatcher models and will probably only be using my remaining three as waywatcher lords. That way I have four, and each looks different.

Archived