Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

4 hours ago, Origin said:

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

The above confuses me more than a bit.  How does the reference to 'Set Up' in the stalker rules override the 'must be more than 9" from enemy models' bit?  That seems so very bogus. I would have spit chips. I hope old mate told you what was coming when you deployed.

The faq states that a set up move can be within 3" of the enemy and the stalker rule is a set up with no mention of being 9" of the enemy. 

GW confirmed at the tournament that you could play it like this but it would be faq'ed in the next few weeks along with vanguard wing.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Baz said:

I have considered the loremaster but the spellweaver has a couple of extra advantages, firstly she can use the allegiance ability to move around the battlefield. Secondly she has a one off auto unbind which can be crucial in game to stop a crucial spell from going off. Thirdly her signature spell can resurrect models, this comes in handy in scenarios where you need 20 or models to trump an objective. If you lost a few models in a unit you can cheekily resurrect them and claim an objective. 

All very good points for keeping her, losing just one Glade Guard can be annoying as you lose the 3+ to hit so yeah utility can trump blatant power sometimes :D

On 1/18/2018 at 4:06 AM, Baz said:

Wildwood rangers whilst overcosted were really useful as a combat threat, the 2" range and 2 attacks are great, the low armour save isn't.

Glade Guard, again overcosted but the -3 rend really helps having at least 2 units of 20/30 is a must in my opinion. 

Thanks for saying that about Rangers.  I've defended them for a while now to get shot down every time.  I just think the 2" range and attacks are totally overlooked.  I get the high points cost but I see people spamming EG and think there are other options.

2 x 30 GG too much?  

Thanks kindly for the detailed report.  I think overall it will help people trying to figure out Wanderers (like me right now after too much a gap).

6 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Thanks for saying that about Rangers.  I've defended them for a while now to get shot down every time.  I just think the 2" range and attacks are totally overlooked.  I get the high points cost but I see people spamming EG and think there are other options.

2 x 30 GG too much?  

Thanks kindly for the detailed report.  I think overall it will help people trying to figure out Wanderers (like me right now after too much a gap).

The rangers dropped in cost from 200 to 180 but at the same time the other aelf elites like phoenix guard, swordmasters and white lions also dropped in cost. The Phoenix guard are now 160pts, they are much more survivable and only really lack the rend. Would like to see the rangers go down to this price.  Buffed up rangers with mystic shield, shield of thorns and inspiring presence is the way to go.

2 units of 30 GG can do a lot of damage with the -3 rend, after this has been used up you can use them as a shield for the rest of the army. Its a solid choice for pure wanderer armies. 

On 1/18/2018 at 7:06 AM, Baz said:

Wanderers of the Wythel Glade attend Heat 1 

Dude I saw that a Wanderer player actually placed reasonably well at Heat, awesome to read such a great post with all the details here! Thanks for sharing! I'm a huge Wanderers fan but so far at all the tournaments I've attended I end up running Mixed Order. Awesome to see you making it work as Wanderer allegiance. Looking forward to seeing the FAQ on Stalker of the Hidden Paths.

Btw, hello again everyone, been a while! I keep meaning to finish my Hurricanum and post pics but I doubt I'll get to it for several months. 

59 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Dude I saw that a Wanderer player actually placed reasonably well at Heat, awesome to read such a great post with all the details here! 

Aye, even tho they put me down at Sylvaneth. 2nd wasnt bad ?

So I've booked my ticket to the London GT in May - would love to take wanderers and have about 1500 points now, but am also thinking of taking stormcast as it's my 1st tournament and I don't want to take something that will lose every game!

Here is a list, but also I was wondering if the Eternal Guard are able to use Fortress of Boughs and the Realm Wanderers teleport on the same turn? To basically make a moving castle surrounding the general and all the archers that can zoom along the board edge?

Allegiance: Wanderers

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
Spellweaver (80)
- Heartwood Staff
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)

Battleline
30 x Eternal Guard (210)
- Wanderers Battleline
30 x Glade Guard (360)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Eternal Guard (80)
- Wanderers Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline

Units
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 150

53 minutes ago, Origin said:

So from the latest FAQ, it seems to me you can use Stalker of the Hidden Paths to set units up in combat. 

Wending Wand is out but Stalker seems to have been omitted, thoughts? 

Screenshot_20180130-063941.png

I was wondering the same thing.  As GW were aware that it was being played to set up in combat and they have chosen not to correct it, one must assume that the only restriction is wholly within 6 inches of the board edge.  perhaps I will invest in some WWRs now :) 

1 hour ago, Origin said:

Well considering that it is a set up and not a move you'd even be able to drop fortress of boroughs on the EG and then port them around... 

Pretty happy that this is now in my toolbox

If set up is not a move ( has this been officially FAQed? ), why does the Realm Wanderers battle trait end with " This is the unit's move for that movement phase "?  I have always assumed that it did count as a move and therefore Fortress of Boughs would not work, neither would shooting twice for Sisters of the Watch.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to be convinced otherwise, but in my mind they have still moved; just moving along hidden paths that the enemy can't see.  They aren't translocated by lightning or hurricane as the Stormcast are.  These occur in the hero phase and do not allow a move in the following movement phase, but ours occurs in the movement phase and is counted as the unit's move.  Even the Sylvaneth using  Navigate Realmroots "traverse the spirit paths" which can be argued as not physically moving.  

Can someone explain logically how I am wrong.

It makes no sense to me either, if i had not read the Bat-Rep a few posts ago i would never have thought Stalker could be used to set up into combat.

But as the FAQ says that it is a setup and not a move why couldn't you do it? Realm Wanderers may count as a move, thus preventing further movement but the Stalker trait seems to change Realm Wanderers to a set up and not a move. I assume this how you can set up in combat? 

So you can't 'move' into combat, only charge. Stalker can set up into combat, so Stalker cannot equal a 'move', so therefore the unit never 'moved', it only set up, even if that occurred in the movement phase in place of the units movement.  

It really is naff but if the logic allows for combat setups I can't see why it would not extend to FoB or double shoot for Sisters, or even the standing still shooting bonus for Waywatchers...?

32 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

If set up is not a move ( has this been officially FAQed? ), why does the Realm Wanderers battle trait end with " This is the unit's move for that movement phase "?  I have always assumed that it did count as a move and therefore Fortress of Boughs would not work, neither would shooting twice for Sisters of the Watch.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to be convinced otherwise, but in my mind they have still moved; just moving along hidden paths that the enemy can't see.  They aren't translocated by lightning or hurricane as the Stormcast are.  These occur in the hero phase and do not allow a move in the following movement phase, but ours occurs in the movement phase and is counted as the unit's move.  Even the Sylvaneth using  Navigate Realmroots "traverse the spirit paths" which can be argued as not physically moving.  

Can someone explain logically how I am wrong.

This is so you cannot later move once you teleport across the board

Q: What is ‘set-up’, exactly?

A: ‘Set-up’ is typically when a unit is placed on the table during deployment, but can also refer to a unit being deployed in a location other than on the battle eld,
or being put into play once the game has started (a unit using the Stormcast Eternal Warrior Chamber’s Lightning Strike, the Chameleon Skinks’ Chameleon Ambush, or the Treelord’s Spirit Paths ability, for example). Models can set up within 3" of the enemy, even if they are set up in the movement phase, unless noted otherwise in the rules for the ability that allows them to be set up once the battle is under way 

So from that point of view it makes perfect sense. Wanderer warscrolls abilities come from not moving and stalker of the hidden paths is a teleport or "set up" not a move (at least it doesnt call it a move). Teleporting and not being able to use wanderer unit abilities doesn't make sense but we've been forced to play that due to lack of clarity. I must admit it's still not very clear either way even now. The fact GW ruled units could be set up within 3" or in combat in that earlier game on this thread indicates it is a "set up" not a move which allows SoW to double tap and Mobile forest of Boughs and non moving waywatchers. Very powerful and makes sense.

20 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

So from that point of view it makes perfect sense. Wanderer warscrolls abilities come from not moving and stalker of the hidden paths is a teleport or "set up" not a move (at least it doesnt call it a move). Teleporting and not being able to use wanderer unit abilities doesn't make sense but we've been forced to play that due to lack of clarity. I must admit it's still not very clear either way even now. The fact GW ruled units could be set up within 3" or in combat in that earlier game on this thread indicates it is a "set up" not a move which allows SoW to double tap and Mobile forest of Boughs and non moving waywatchers. Very powerful and makes sense.

On further reflection, the Gryph-Hounds' warning cry only comes into effect following a "Set-up" and is not triggered by a "move", so this would indicate that these are two separate and distinct formats.  I think it lends weight to the argument at least.  What do you think?

I'm sold, because it is not just Stalker but the basic Realm Wanderers Trait is also a set up, albeit on that stipulates 9" from the enemy. It makes the Faction work, where before it was clunky as hell.

Now all I need is a random FAQ that make both Waystrider and Wayfinders unique and useful...

Guys as long as it says that it counts as their move for that movement phase it is clear to me that you cannot use the abilities that need the unit not to move in the movement phase...

If the sentence was "they cannot move in that movement phase" then yes we would be able to use the abilities of the Sisters of the Watch, Eternal Guard and Waywatchers.

Thanks @Baz so that’s pretty clear then. Wanderers still don’t work with their allegiance abilities. It’s Poor rule writing. We we shouldn’t have to keep discussing rules like this really. It’s a very annoying aspect to GW games. If someone were to ask for clarification from GW it may help point out the problem of synergy. 

Archived