Wrong size base

9 minutes ago, Chris Thompson said:

Hi there newish to AoS and converting my ogres from 8th to AoS and i may have put my thundertusk on wrong size base , is this a massive deal if i go SCGT for instance ? Spent way longer on base than i normaly do :(

nearly everywhere plays measure to the base, with most making it mandatory you use rounds/ovals.

i think they have guides on which to use

5 minutes ago, PhoenixTheCat said:

In AoS the base size doesn't really matter, so as long if the base isn't ridiculously oversized or undersized you're fine.

this isn't really true. and should not be assumed as such. base size matter drastically. 

5 minutes ago, Chris Thompson said:

Said Thundertusk is sat on a 170x105 oval (from a mdf base site) and i beleave after checking in local store they come with 120x90 ovals , Do i need to start over ?

it looks like a large difference tbh. 

there is various upsides and downsides to different bases. and it could  be seen to be playing for advantage. 

if you're serious about tournaments it's best to withdraw any such potential issue by using the base they come sold with currently

You'll probably be okay with that base as it's more of a liability than a boon generally but it'll be up to an event's TOs whether they take issue with it. If you've put work into making it look good that'll count in your favour too. A plain drybrushed base with a clump of flock wouldn't win over any hearts and minds. 

21 hours ago, Arkiham said:

nearly everywhere plays measure to the base, with most making it mandatory you use rounds/ovals.

this isn't really true. and should not be assumed as such. base size matter drastically. 

Some tournaments play measure to the base.  GW have explicitly said base sizes don't matter. This has been done to death

TBH OP I've never encountered someone  who kicked up a fuss about basing. If you like the basing on your model don't change it to satisfy someone else being fussy.

1 hour ago, AGPO said:

Some tournaments play measure to the base.  GW have explicitly said base sizes don't matter. This has been done to death

TBH OP I've never encountered someone  who kicked up a fuss about basing. If you like the basing on your model don't change it to satisfy someone else being fussy.

your entire comment is completely not helpful.

tbh, i don't really care if some play measure to the model, i said most as most do. the majority i've seen ( including gw's own tournaments) play base to base, on round/ovals of appropriate size.  if you care to make a list showing which major tournaments play it model to model on any bases and compare them to the "standard" to prove me wrong go for it. 

I am also bored of this discussion and no one cares what Gw explicitly state, when tournament organisers are setting their own rules and the OP was asking about tournaments (as most who normally worry about this sort of thing ask), and as the majority of tournaments play base to base on round/ovals of appropriate size, do what you want at home or down the club. 

the UK scene is pretty much exclusively base to base on round/ovals on appropriate size, in particular the tournament he is asking about ( SCGT ) . telling him not to care about it is doing him a disservice not a service.

Considering rounds/ovals are highly likely be the rule in the future and no one wants to do things twice when you only need to do them once, you're better off doing them once.

Maybe it's my grip on the language but your response seems pretty hostile.  Apologies if I came across that way too as it was snt intentional. You're right about SCGT, I just looked up their rules pack and saw they remove any model which isn't on what they deem an appropriate base. Seems unnecessarily draconian to me, but maybe modelling for advantage is a big enough issue in tournaments that they felt the need. No other event I've ever attended has had this issue.

I do wonder how this would play out if someone arrived with say Bloodletters on the 25mm round bases they bought them on. 

On 08/04/2017 at 1:52 PM, Arkiham said:

On 09/04/2017 at 0:58 PM, Arkiham said:

your entire comment is completely not helpful.

tbh, i don't really care if some play measure to the model, i said most as most do. the majority i've seen ( including gw's own tournaments) play base to base, on round/ovals of appropriate size.  if you care to make a list showing which major tournaments play it model to model on any bases and compare them to the "standard" to prove me wrong go for it. 

I am also bored of this discussion and no one cares what Gw explicitly state, when tournament organisers are setting their own rules and the OP was asking about tournaments (as most who normally worry about this sort of thing ask), and as the majority of tournaments play base to base on round/ovals of appropriate size, do what you want at home or down the club. 

the UK scene is pretty much exclusively base to base on round/ovals on appropriate size, in particular the tournament he is asking about ( SCGT ) . telling him not to care about it is doing him a disservice not a service.

Considering rounds/ovals are highly likely be the rule in the future and no one wants to do things twice when you only need to do them once, you're better off doing them once.

Your posts seem a little hostile Arkiham. However in the case of comps i would have to agree that it is a factor that matters.

And at the end of the basing "correctly" will set people up for either style of play while not caring wont.

That being said. Even though this post is a question asked by a single person its acts as a source of information for lots of different people therefore it should be made clear that as far as the "AOS GW rules" say. it dosent matter in the slightest.

However most seem to agree that had more to do with not wanting upset the delicate WHFB crowd by ordering them to rebase everything and pratically it makes way more sense to base them "Properbly" though until this is brought into the rules properly it will always be open to a little interpretation.

Archived