Which paints do you use and why?

Darren2607

Hi. Relatively new to the hobby and have been using citadel paints mainly because I've been following warhammer tv. 

They are expensive though and I know others like vallejo, reaper and p3 are cheaper. Just wondering what people's experience of using these is and if there is a stand out "best option"? Thanks! 

Vallejo its the most that I use, because they are cheaper, and I prefer the drop bottle that don't dry, not like the Citadel ones.

Citadel its good to, but sometimes its expensive for what you got. I love the Citadel Washes, and some of their "technical" paints are of quality.

The Citadel Sprays? Those are one of the better ones you can find. They are expensive yes, but its one of these things that its objetively better and worth the price. And, if the Spray Can its bad and ruin your miniatures, you can email/call GW and they will replace your miniatures AND the spray. Had happened to me one time.

EDIT: If your miniatures are GW ones, obviusly :P 

I use reaper paints, except for terrain where I still use my citadel paints.

love the repear range. The colours are a bit closer to nuance to each other so they blend really well. 

Be aware that if you like high contrast highlights you have to skip a few colours. The range is also more subdued, not as many bright colours as Citadel or Game Colour.

I use Vallejo, GW and Army Painter. I got some good deals on the Vallejo and AP paints, and like them both a lot. Above all, I'm fond of the dropper bottles.. much better than the Citadel ones. I really like certain pots from GW though, mostly shades. And I find their technical stuff to be really useful.  I don't care for the AP inks/shades/washes w/e you wanna call them. They also have a smell that I dislike.

No stand out "best" in my view. I tend to use GW and Vallejo the most, but that just because they are easiest to get for me. GW for the bright colours and Vallejo for the more muted realistic stuff. I've also been using quite a lot of the Scale Colour range of late. They are great because they have a very different range for colours from GW and Vallejo and are super matt. They tend to be on the muted side of things too.

Just use what you can get and learn to get the most out of them. Hope that helps some.

If you like the Vallejo or Reaper line of paints, but follow the colors of GW in the videos, you might want to get an app for your phone called Paint Rack. It keeps track of pretty much every hobby brand of paits and will give you the closest match between brands. It will also do triads and analogous colors. There is a free version and a paid version for the Android. Not sure about for iPhones. Well worth the price if you decide to purchase it.

Thanks guys. Some useful responses here. Will definitely check out that paint rack app. I have no complaints about citadel paints, and I like the convenience of going into a gw to buy an odd one. Just wondered if I was missing out!

There was a similar topic to this last month :)  To surmise my opinion, paint brand is very much down to personal preference.  For most people, a pot of paint will last quite a long time, I've used probably half a pot of Khorne red on 1500 point's worth of Bloodbound, so although expensive, you'll not need to replace too often.  GW encourages you to use lots of colours, but you could equally mix your paints to achieve lighter and darker shades (though this will take longer and can be more difficult to replicate).

Dropper bottles do have some benefits over the Citadel bolt shell pots, the biggest disadvantage for droppers is that you can't easily put paint back!  I've decanted many of my Citadel colours into dropper bottles, although it does add extra expense I find it makes my life a little easier, especially if I wish to use them in an airbrush.

One extra thing I would add is that at the end regardless of which brand of paint you use the end result depends on you. What changing from Citadel to another brand can do is help you shake up your palette, literally I suppose. Point is, you might find you always do leather the same way with Citadel paints, with another brand that will instantly change. So changing brands can be a breath of fresh air.

What you can do is visit the website of each brand (major brand I suppose) out there and look at their colours. You might find that one is more to your taste than another.

I've always stuck to Citadel paints myself. Partly because I've never had any problems that would make me want to change, and partly out of laziness... mostly out of laziness really. 

Being able to easily follow all the tutorials that use Citadel paints is nice too!

5 hours ago, Mossback said:

If you like the Vallejo or Reaper line of paints, but follow the colors of GW in the videos, you might want to get an app for your phone called Paint Rack. It keeps track of pretty much every hobby brand of paits and will give you the closest match between brands. It will also do triads and analogous colors. There is a free version and a paid version for the Android. Not sure about for iPhones. Well worth the price if you decide to purchase it.

Woaw that is so useful, thank you.

I have all the Citadel range and I've bought all the Air range as well but I'm currently transferring them into dropper bottles as I run out I will be going vallejo, tried a few and they just seem easier to use, and they are cheaper.

Top tip if your new, just buy paints you need don't get sucked in and buy sets like some dumb ass! (me) you won't use 1/2 of them.

I have all the Citadel range and I've bought all the Air range as well but I'm currently transferring them into dropper bottles as I run out I will be going vallejo, tried a few and they just seem easier to use, and they are cheaper.

Top tip if your new, just buy paints you need don't get sucked in and buy sets like some dumb ass! (me) you won't use 1/2 of them.

I think I'm going to do exactly this, wait for the citadel to run out and start replacing them with vallejo using that paint rack app [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Darren2607 said:

I think I'm going to do exactly this, wait for the citadel to run out and start replacing them with vallejo using that paint rack app emoji4.png

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Smart man

3 minutes ago, Darren2607 said:

What I would suggest is to try out one or two Vallejo paints before you commit anything.  There's a handful that I wouldn't be without but I was really disappointed with the finish and consistency of some others I've tried (Game Color being the worst).  Though more expensive, Citadel are on the whole reliable and easy to purchase.  Most people end up with a mixture of brands anyway!

Citadel Paints List is also worth a look if you're like me and keep forgetting the GW paints you've got :D 

Archived