Magnetising Really Useful Boxes

I just invested in a few 'Really Useful Boxes' to store my armies, and most of my models have magnets in the bases. Can anyone recommend a way to attach the models to the inside of the boxes?

I'm thinking custom cut steel or aluminium sheets... but not sure about the material, thickness, possible suppliers etc. Can anyone help?

Thanks all in advance :D

1 hour ago, Dez said:

You can also get magnetic sheets from places like Michael's. I also found heavy duty magnetic register covers, for the vents in floors that will work too

Can you post some links to buy them online?

I'm a huge fan of these flexible steel sheets from Litko. They are 8.5" x 11", have a peel and stick backing, and you can cut them fairly easily with a pair of kitchen scissors. 

Pair them up with magnetized bases and you're good to go. I've used them for horde-heavy Empire, Tomb King, and Dark Elf armies during 7th and 8th Editions of WHFB (magnetic base, steel sheet on movement tray, magnetic sheet on bottom of movement tray, steel sheet in Ikea box.) As well as for my Imperial Guard Armoured Battlegroup (rare earth magnets in the treads of the tanks, steel sheet inside rolling suitcase... Moving 15 Leman Russ tanks ain't normally this easy.)

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I've tried the flexible rubber steel type sheets before - they are easy to cut but they seem to degrade over time. Mine starting turning white where the magnets were. Almost like the steel was getting pulled out of the rubber and up to the surface...

I hadn't thought about cookie trays / baking trays. Seems a good solution but difficult to get the exact fit.

I think I need to find somewhere to get steel / tin sheets cut to size. I assume any thickness will do?

I bought:

20L for infantry - fits up to height of the bloodsecrator banner.

33L for monsters - fits up to height of mierce miniatures Zhull. The Vortex beast fits fine also.

50L for scenery - fits up to height of Realm Gates standing up. Top section of Skull Keep fits too.

They all stack perfectly because they are same width/depth, just different heights. I'm very happy with them so far. Just may not be able to fit everything properly afterwards, depending on the thickness of the metal added underneath... Would be good to add it the sides too to fit taller models in the smaller boxes.

i recently done this to quite a few boxes, i first bought that rubber magnetic sheet stuff and found it very weak the models would not even stay still when lightly moving the box.

I was then recommended this flex-o-metal sheet stuff and works a treat, would highly recommend

http://www.abelmagnets.com/flexometal-sheet/a4-210mm-x-297mm-self-adhesive-flexometal-sheets-pack-of-3

4 hours ago, Hollow said:

Why not just spring for a basic metal tool box. Cheap, durable and entirely metal.

And heavy as hell. I used to haul my Imperial Guard around in one... Not fun on public transportation.

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

Perfect for public transportation! Great weapon! Most of the buses and trains in my area are teeming with Oruks and dirty ratmen. 

I'll stick with my .357, thanks. Don't want to mess up my paint.

8 hours ago, Riyathe said:

i recently done this to quite a few boxes, i first bought that rubber magnetic sheet stuff and found it very weak the models would not even stay still when lightly moving the box.

I was then recommended this flex-o-metal sheet stuff and works a treat, would highly recommend

http://www.abelmagnets.com/flexometal-sheet/a4-210mm-x-297mm-self-adhesive-flexometal-sheets-pack-of-3

I second this. Really easy, no time at all if you've already magnetized figures. 

To transport a horde of Bloodbound I have two (almost, but not quite) A3 sized Amazon boxes.

4 x A4 Magnetic sheets 0.5mm strong, thin and flexible (£4.50 for 6)

4 x A4 sheets of 2mm plasticard (c£10) (originally bought for making some some funky silver tower bases that have yet to happen. hey ho) 

a crapload x Strong Ring Round Neodyium Magnets with Hole 10mm x 3mm. 3mm fits perfectly under bases and the indent in the ring works well for glueing  (£5 for 50)

58deb81e28da1_magneticsheets.JPG.46df25e9aa6d6b4a473f37c3506a9ee0.JPGplasticard.JPG.f81523dfbb27b4a14ab0943b074ccd3b.JPGmagnets.JPG.872b144e07e52bca9a01ec0f8ce8a07b.JPG

Spend 3 evenings doing batches of 40/50, one magnet per base. If I had a bigger table that wasnt child accessible I would have done the lot at once.

They seem to stick quite well:

IMG_20170331_191045.jpg.4bacfdffc31fa78315f2db3063a9401f.jpg

Archived