Hey Everyone

First time posting a list up. I'm a Sylvaneth Player, built up a solid list out of them and doing quite well. Now it's time to start up a new army (Still working on bits and pieces of Sylvaneth). However just wanted to get another style of army going. So i thought i start a Death army around the Terrorghiest as it's one my favorite behemoth models in GW range. So here is my list, i wrote this list around My Sylvaneth list, a list where my own army would crumble and probably loose against. especially double turn 2. I have been following this forum for a little while and Haven't seen anyone run a list that i'm building so i'm curious to get some feedback (Also link me to threads that are similar builds). This list is also build around all 6 CURRENT scenarios in the GHB i understand we may get new scenarios in 2.0, but i find this will be a good all rounder. 

Leaders
Crypt Infernal Courtier (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Tomb Blade
Abhorrant Ghoul King (100)
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Cursed Book

Battleline
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
3 x Crypt Flayers (160)

Behemoths
Terrorgheist (320)
Terrorgheist (320)

Battalions
Deadwatch
 (160)

2000 points on the Dot. Why do I think this can crumble my sylvaneth list or similar lists? Due to the Flayers piling in in the hero phase even after being regenerated and gaining some extra attacks of the GK, Units like Kurnoth Hunters will grumble as they can't re-roll saves as it's only for the Combat Phase. The Chances of high mortal wound output is good. Also Everything here flys so moving over terrain to score objectives is fine and having two of my favourite models on the table looking similar to the battline will just aesthetically please me. The Courtiers both bringing models back is helpful so the chances of a unit loosing 2 models before hand and get them back and pile in, i find to good to be true. I understand high rend is an issue in this list however with the death save + death save buff and terrorgheist healing due to the GK i find it quite durable theoretically.

Just wanting peoples thoughts? Should i look at using different artefacts? Should i try and make all the flayers 6 man unit? I'm not use to the standard artefacts choice you get in the GHB compared to Sylvaneths wide range. 

Ps. I don't like the look of Crypt Horrors and Ghouls. Unless i convert them up to look cool. Also the GK on a Terrorghiest is tempting however i find him and the way he stands he ruins the aesthetic of the model also for 400 points i would most likely lose a hero which means for three places of power I will struggle. 

1 hour ago, Thanatos Ares said:

Personally I'd combine the GK on foot with one of the Terrorgheists. Yes you lose the +1 attack spell but gain and additional 5+ ward spell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Thanatos Ares said:

You can always model the foot GK on the Terrorgheists base thus keeping the 'look' of the behemoth

Yeah i just don't like the look of him jumping off a terrorghiest, may buy a third one and model him on it. Just did the point calculation and ill on 1980. So possible rolling off the triumph table. Also would the terrorghiest without a GK be able to be healed if its in range near a GK on another terrorghiest.

Besides that is that an okay list? 

15 minutes ago, Okami said:

Yeah i just don't like the look of him jumping off a terrorghiest, may buy a third one and model him on it. Just did the point calculation and ill on 1980. So possible rolling off the triumph table. Also would the terrorghiest without a GK be able to be healed if its in range near a GK on another terrorghiest.

Besides that is that an okay list? 

Yeah, the Terrorgheist's ability triggers of the keyword rather than the name of the unit (because it's in bold), so you'll still heal.

Putting the GK on a 'gheist is an improvement in any case since it lets you keep up with his buddy.

Against low bravery armies your list could do very well. However, you only have a total of twenty models in your entire list. In a lot of the battle plans you could simply be swarmed off the objectives. I haven't played enough with Flayers to say whether the Deathwatch battalion is worth it or not, but personally I would probably go the MSU path, dropping the battalion for another unit of three, and splitting both the large units. Six units lets you split up and if needed force your opponents heavy hitters to deal with one unit a turn to slow them down.

2 minutes ago, Grimnaud said:

Yeah, the Terrorgheist's ability triggers of the keyword rather than the name of the unit (because it's in bold), so you'll still heal.

Putting the GK on a 'gheist is an improvement in any case since it lets you keep up with his buddy.

Against low bravery armies your list could do very well. However, you only have a total of twenty models in your entire list. In a lot of the battle plans you could simply be swarmed off the objectives. I haven't played enough with Flayers to say whether the Deathwatch battalion is worth it or not, but personally I would probably go the MSU path, dropping the battalion for another unit of three, and splitting both the large units. Six units lets you split up and if needed force your opponents heavy hitters to deal with one unit a turn to slow them down.

I like this Idea, i feel the MSU path would be good when i start playing with them. Currently got one box of FEC Start Collecting hopefully will pick up another 1-2. Then grab more flayers but start small with the deathwatch and see how it goes. I'll keep you update but i feel its hard with that many small units then i'll try MSU, however this list is built on overwhelming amount of dice, as most armies struggle against it. Cheers for the advice thought. 

I find that applying a massive sledge hammer (read: buffed behemoths) to my opponents sneakily crafted, quite deadly but rather squishy key units does more to mess up his plans than the actual killing of the said key unit. A lot of lists out there have a key lynch pin model/unit that doesn't like a buffed monster to the face! Lol

Either way you go, your list looks competitive and great fun to play. Keep us informed if you would of your games/thoughts!!

On 14/03/2017 at 8:45 AM, Okami said:

Hey Everyone

First time posting a list up. I'm a Sylvaneth Player, built up a solid list out of them and doing quite well. Now it's time to start up a new army (Still working on bits and pieces of Sylvaneth). However just wanted to get another style of army going. So i thought i start a Death army around the Terrorghiest as it's one my favorite behemoth models in GW range. So here is my list, i wrote this list around My Sylvaneth list, a list where my own army would crumble and probably loose against. especially double turn 2. I have been following this forum for a little while and Haven't seen anyone run a list that i'm building so i'm curious to get some feedback (Also link me to threads that are similar builds). This list is also build around all 6 CURRENT scenarios in the GHB i understand we may get new scenarios in 2.0, but i find this will be a good all rounder. 

Leaders
Crypt Infernal Courtier (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Tomb Blade
Abhorrant Ghoul King (100)
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Cursed Book

Battleline
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
6 x Crypt Flayers (320)
3 x Crypt Flayers (160)

Behemoths
Terrorgheist (320)
Terrorgheist (320)

Battalions
Deadwatch
 (160)

2000 points on the Dot. Why do I think this can crumble my sylvaneth list or similar lists? Due to the Flayers piling in in the hero phase even after being regenerated and gaining some extra attacks of the GK, Units like Kurnoth Hunters will grumble as they can't re-roll saves as it's only for the Combat Phase. The Chances of high mortal wound output is good. Also Everything here flys so moving over terrain to score objectives is fine and having two of my favourite models on the table looking similar to the battline will just aesthetically please me. The Courtiers both bringing models back is helpful so the chances of a unit loosing 2 models before hand and get them back and pile in, i find to good to be true. I understand high rend is an issue in this list however with the death save + death save buff and terrorgheist healing due to the GK i find it quite durable theoretically.

Just wanting peoples thoughts? Should i look at using different artefacts? Should i try and make all the flayers 6 man unit? I'm not use to the standard artefacts choice you get in the GHB compared to Sylvaneths wide range. 

Ps. I don't like the look of Crypt Horrors and Ghouls. Unless i convert them up to look cool. Also the GK on a Terrorghiest is tempting however i find him and the way he stands he ruins the aesthetic of the model also for 400 points i would most likely lose a hero which means for three places of power I will struggle. 

This is actually the list I would personally build, maybe a tad bit different but deathwatch for sure. The only things with rend.

1 hour ago, WillofNagash said:

This is actually the list I would personally build, maybe a tad bit different but deathwatch for sure. The only things with rend.

Yeah anything with -2 rend is a issue, however if i know i'll be charging them into combat with a -2 unit/model, probably give them mystic shield or the spell form the GK that gives them another 5+ save however my opponent would need to do 24 wounds to wipe out the 6 man Flayers before they all come back next hero phase, if they don't then my hero phase, i get majority of them back (With some good rolling), then pile in and attack. So yeah did think about rend. 

As mentioned this list is built to coutner my Sylvaneth list, which has 2 units of Kurnoths with scythes and a durthu who have -2 rend. 

Archived