The Painting Contract - March 2017

Mohojoe

Aiming to wrap up my 100-strong unit of dwarf warriors. Might not get all the way to that count, but the unit will be close. Hoping to add in a few other things, maybe some slayers or something to break up the repetitiveness. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Zhorphorus!

Recipe:

1. Two good coats of Blue Horror.  Solid, smooth.
  2. Make a wash of Temple Guard Blue using lots of Lahmian Medium.  Really super thinned. Probably about 7:1 medium:paint.
  3. Wash.
  4. Wash some more in places you want more blue to be.
  5. Use the power of saliva to keep your brush damp and reapply the Blue Horror on raised areas, being extra-spitty as the edges of muscles approach the "valleys" between them.
  6. Use spitty-white for the next highlights.

That's it.  I suppose you don't have to use saliva, but there is something about it that facilitates smoother blends.  These were speed painted, just like the rest of the army so far, so they are not as smooth as they could be, but I had to value time over details and precision.

3 hours ago, DynamicCalories said:

Gosh you sylvaneth guys get some good stuff out of what is basically "trees, but angry"

Our team army is based on the idea of "angry." Sylvaneth + Daughters.  We're calling it Babes of Depravity and the Sylvaneth Masters. 

AKA Angry Ladies and the Men Who Love Them.

Also pleased because it bagged me my second win in the local Legions of Legend competition. Props to [mention=3628]Lardidar[/mention] for his khorgoraths too!

Thanks was really chuffed with 3rd I didn't think they would like me chopping the kholgorath head pieces off.

Spider looks great... Have you left it in store? Hopefully see it in the flesh at some point this week.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

On 7. mar. 2017 at 8:57 PM, Soulsmith said:

Awesome looking stuff already guys nice one! I finished off the arachnarok so here it is:

17191701_1251262161618921_1440725775114993954_o.jpg.a24c91e1c9e373eab5efee93c335a5c3.jpg

Also pleased because it bagged me my second win in the local Legions of Legend competition. Props to @Lardidar for his khorgoraths too!

Well done! I'm also assembling my first arachnarok at the moment, and loving the simple parts-

Anyway, what base size did you use for it (that's a good looking base I might add)? Is that the 160mm base?

May be late to say, but don't glue the legs on until painted they're a pain, I snapped the back ones off. It is, the mawkrushas big pie plate base. And thanks, the base was good fun and really came off well, had to make it look like a lively part of desert due to the big tree piece.

Archived