Mixing Factions

Hi all

Just wanted to know would people be ok playing against a mixed force of Chaos and Destruction in casual games, so far we are talking about 2 units of Blood Warriors a Skullgrinder, Skarr Bloodwrath will be joined by Bloodreavers allied with some Brutes that will be joined by a Boss.

Obviously will not be taking this to tournaments.

For casual games, it's just that: whatever you agree with your opponent. From a competitive view, you may even be at a disadvantage, as you'll be denying yourself synergies.

I wouldn't have a problem with it, and there can be some good fluff reasons for doing so (I've been mixing the Chaos and Death lists to get an all-monster list).

I'd have no problem with it. I can think of lore reasons why Death and Destruction stuff would fight alongside Order or Chaos. Can't see see Chaos and Order fighting together though. As for the gamey/OTT stuff, I'm not au fait with all the warscrolls for everything but as Stylus said running armies that cross faction lines means far fewer synergies and therefore less powerful armies. Just use what you think is fun and fits you vision of the AoS lore. If its too strong or not strong enough chat with your whoever you are playing and sort something out so you are both having fun.

I kind of wish the grand alliances hadn't been grouped how they have. I think there are tons of great narrative reasons for factions between them to ally. Can always play how you like, but it bugs my OCD-ness to step out of perceived bounds.

I think that there are plenty of fluff reasons and even precedent, on why Order, Death, and Destruction would ally. I don't really see Chaos allying with any one though, or rather anyone allying with Chaos. They are the big bag threat to all.

We already have a Fyreslayer and Chaos alliance confirmed in the fluff. So Order and Chaos can definitely work together. I don't see the Prime and Archaon particularly working together, but it could happen. Imagine a giant demon invasion/return of Nagash/super-humongeous Waaaaagh, so big that neither can deal with it. So the others tag together. Bit of a boring justification, but it can happen.

Chaos is really the outlier here. But there's no reason minor chaos lords couldn't work with anyone else. As long as the plan is to inevitably betray them.

I think that Fyreslayer  should be in the Destraction, as their raison d'etre is to collect Ur-gold. That being said they can ally with anybody that has Ur-gold to pay them.

I see many possibilities for mixed alliances, for one Legion of  Azgorh and Ironjawz, well perhaps not an alliances but an Master Slave relation ;)

I am ok with them as long as you can tell me a good story why the are together, if i find it amusing enough I can even accept Sigmar allying with Chaos Gods :D

There's definitely mixing of the grand alliances in the fluff.  Our group has been playing to one alliance only, but I think we're going to start allowing mixtures.  As others have said, with a fluffy backstory it's fine.  And certainly with things that seem to 'go'.  One of our players wants to start running Slaves to Darkness with Ogors, which seems a good match.

The only reservation I have it that people might start being gamey with it and it'll open up debate about whether or not a list is fluffy.

I think the distinction is just the fact we're clinging onto a past without allies. Even when AoS first started, a lot of people didn't even like the idea of mixing sub-factions within the Grand Alliance, let alone across Grand Alliances.

Possibly even once official GW points come out, if they allow cross grand alliance armies it may just fall out of fashion as a restriction.

Archived