TGA Dice Design contest!

Ben

My design is coming later tonight, but I wanted to put it out there now in case I forget-

The dice should not sacrifice readability for spectacle.  Make the pips black or white, not metallic, on a bold contrasting color (a little swirl/marble ala the TK dice is nice, but nothing too multi-color or busy).

These are dice, and you *and your opponent* should have no difficulty seeing/using them as such. 

Also, design on the 6, not the 1.

2 hours ago, pforson said:

I disagree. I think Wespe's sword design is awesome and totally not difficult to read.

tomato tomato.

Just curious where the whole sword thing is about? Because its a fantasy game? AOS symbol being a big ass hammer and all...

14 hours ago, Sneak said:

tomato tomato.

Just curious where the whole sword thing is about? Because its a fantasy game? AOS symbol being a big ass hammer and all...

The "big" idea was just to give it some fantasy narrative with the (yes, generic) sword and the typeface. (With the addition that a sword makes for an awesome "T". With a handle :) ) More on "hard to read": as a monogram it's supposed to work as a single entity or letter even, not necessarily to be read per se. I mean check some of the monograms of the french kings :D

For fan sites, I think it's stronger to have some kind of own identity than just citing the AoS IP, especially when it's not endorsed by GW or designed by their guidelines. It's also a bit more gratifying to say "I rolled 7 swords!!!" than, "I rolled 7 AoS IP citations!!!" :D

Oh my, this is starting to sound like work :( I hope we're not shooing away potential participants with all this commentary. It's still a silly (=fun) dice competition with a vote at the end, not a pitch for a german car brand :D

12 hours ago, Sneak said:

He guys here are my final submissions. Hope you like them.

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 4.38.00 PM.png

Furthest right is fantastic. 

Is it possible that when I roll a 6 on these die for trumpets to play, lightning bolts to obliterate my opponent and Sigmar to ruffle my beard in an affectionate way?

14 hours ago, Sneak said:

He guys here are my final submissions. Hope you like them.

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 4.38.00 PM.png

Prefer the one on the far right to the middle (they both look awesome).

I feel like the one on the left will cause me to explain to my opponent that they are not "Grand Theft Auto" themed dice.

11 minutes ago, Caffran101 said:

I feel like the one on the left will cause me to explain to my opponent that they are not "Grand Theft Auto" themed dice.

My thoughts exactly. I read it as GTA, which makes no sense.

I like the right one too. My only concern is that it might be a little too detailed to work on a dice. I think something simpler and more immediately recognisable would be better.

1 hour ago, Caffran101 said:

I agree here! 

my fave by far was the TGA with hammer overhead but you didn't expand on that one.  

I thought it was perfect.  Modern yet fantasy too

2 hours ago, pforson said:

My thoughts exactly. I read it as GTA, which makes no sense.

I like the right one too. My only concern is that it might be a little too detailed to work on a dice. I think something simpler and more immediately recognisable would be better.

I agree its getting a bit lost. was exploring laying it out with the sword thing a little forced. 

5 hours ago, Wespe said:

The "big" idea was just to give it some fantasy narrative with the (yes, generic) sword and the typeface. (With the addition that a sword makes for an awesome "T". With a handle :) ) More on "hard to read": as a monogram it's supposed to work as a single entity or letter even, not necessarily to be read per se. I mean check some of the monograms of the french kings :D

For fan sites, I think it's stronger to have some kind of own identity than just citing the AoS IP, especially when it's not endorsed by GW or designed by their guidelines. It's also a bit more gratifying to say "I rolled 7 swords!!!" than, "I rolled 7 AoS IP citations!!!" :D

Oh my, this is starting to sound like work :( I hope we're not shooing away potential participants with all this commentary. It's still a silly (=fun) dice competition with a vote at the end, not a pitch for a german car brand :D

I hear you but the execution could be better. This is just constructive criticism. Its hard to read especially reduced 80% and carved into a dice pip. its not IP infringement to use similar lightning bolts on dice, this would be a whole other discussion... My works be getting picked apart for years professionally so I don't take anything to heart and when I suggest stuff on other designs its for the greater good ;)

Was trying to think what The Grand Alliance actually represents and considered that it is a meeting place where all four Alliances (Order, Chaos, Death and Destruction) come together. Hence I had the idea of using a Venn Diagram to represent this combination.

No idea how this could be adapted into a Dice design, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Maybe someone has a good idea how it could be implemented.

venn.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived