Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a doubt, it might be a stupid question but I just want to double check, since I was using the Azyr app with the Bloodmarked Warband with 5 mortal khorne units and it still marked the list as valid.

The battalion says 1 Mortal Khorne Leader and 8 mortal khorne units. I think this is very linear (as in, I need 9 units), but I'm also wondering if the battalion is still valid even with less units, given Azyr didn't consider it to be an invalid list... maybe it's a bug or something they haven't considered yet?

Thank you

WarscrollBuilderList-valid-.pdf

It's a really difficult task to assess whether  list is legal given Battalion rules and the special rules about allegiances including how you can unlock Battleline Units when listbuilding, but then choose a different allegiance for the pack of Traits and Artefacts.

I'm experimenting with Chariots in the DoT context (not the Gorebeast ones).

1 hour ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Anyone had much luck with chariots?  I was thinking about doing the "swap a juggernaught for the gorebeast on a gorebeast chariot" thing, because awesome, but wondered if I'd ever end up using the thing.  Any thoughts?

FMB

I've done it, and explained it to my opponent and they drew alot of attention, 200 points worth was shot and charged before they could. good bait.

Another game they ran in an crushed a unit, I plan on building a brass stampede to run alongside the ruinbringer warband for a double charge phase,  any gorebeasts charging then have 2 chances to do mortal wounds and 2 chances for the long charge 

That combo allows everything in the army to do mortal wounds on the charge and most of the units do more damage on the charge.

Getting bogged down means death though so it's not very competitive 

21 minutes ago, Pudding1989 said:

What's everyone's thoughts on skull cannons? Do yo build the cannons or the throne

I've fielded a Skull Cannon a few times now and found it very hit or miss.  The single ranged attack without any way to improve it with a middling to hit/to wound means that if you do hit and wound, you blow chunks out of your opponent but more often than not you'll miss completely.  Getting into combat helps (potentially an extra shot in your turn and one in your opponents) but wouldn't have said it was reliable damage.

I've fielded a Skull Cannon a few times now and found it very hit or miss. 

Yes - it's a cannon!

This did make me chuckle. I know what you mean. 

From personal experience, I found that its resilience allows it to win a gunline war (Terry Pike's Skullcannons smashed my 9 Jezzails). I'm not so sure now given the existence of Kurnoths and Skyfires.

3 hours ago, Pudding1989 said:

What's everyone's thoughts on skull cannons? Do yo build the cannons or the throne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think skullcannons do their best work when fielded in units of 3.  Use Dark Avenger or Lord of War on them if you're not firing at a unit of 10+  to keep your to hit at 2+.  Running a chaos sorcerer lord you can daemonic power them for rerolling of 1's to hit.  Place them next to mystical if you can and hope not to roll a 1 and you'll be rerolling all failed wound rolls.   Bloodstoker can get them rerolling 1's on wounds too.  Also remember they are cannons, yes, but they are Khorne Cannons.  I have had my best games with them by rushing them into weak enemy units just to cause damage and get more shots off.  Bloodsecrator helps get them extra attacks with the maw to get those shots off.  If you're sitting them at the back of your deployment then you're just not going to be using all of their abilities and you'd be better off using something else.

i do worry about khorne armies tbh. with the increasing lean towards shooting and sniping and the lack of wounds khorne characters have. 

khorne really devalues fast without solid heroes to buff them up. kill a bloodsecrator near a unit of blood reavers and they loose 300%+ effectiveness from the lost attacks from the totem, from him and the battleshock immunity, hes only got what 5 wounds? 1 round of shooting if that from sniping units.

a khannon doesnt come close to a unit of skyfires or kurnoth hunters, and if we wish to use these new traits unless we get a alpha strike capacity or something we're just sitting ducks.

Yup, exactly the trouble I have with Khorne even when playing in games that aren't competitive.  Shooting just really does Khorne in atm.  We have so few options for alpha striking.  First round charges are possible sure, and bringing Sayl (a non Khorne model) helps in some respects.  Still the problem is getting all that mixed and matched faction stuff into a list you can drop quick and control who goes first.  More often the Khorne player is going second and has to survive a round of sniping.  Bloodletter bombs on a 4+ mortal wounding are nasty but against even somewhat strong shooting list it can just be wrecked before getting a chance to go off if I don't run 2x30 bloodletters.  Going pure bloodbound... that's just rough.  I'm hoping this new book offers Khorne either some mitigation vs shooting or helps get more table control via movement.  Maybe a mix of both.   Khorne is already strong enough in the combat phase I feel, it's just getting there alive that is the tricky part.

I think perhaps of all the armies currently, Khorne deserves some sort of 'Look out Sir!' trait more than any of them given the nature of the heroes importance to staying useful.

12 hours ago, Arkiham said:

i do worry about khorne armies tbh. with the increasing lean towards shooting and sniping and the lack of wounds khorne characters have. 

khorne really devalues fast without solid heroes to buff them up. kill a bloodsecrator near a unit of blood reavers and they loose 300%+ effectiveness from the lost attacks from the totem, from him and the battleshock immunity, hes only got what 5 wounds? 1 round of shooting if that from sniping units.

a khannon doesnt come close to a unit of skyfires or kurnoth hunters, and if we wish to use these new traits unless we get a alpha strike capacity or something we're just sitting ducks.

One thing that I think compounds this is that our heroes are significantly larger than our rank and files (moreso than most other armies) so it's almost impossible to shield/protect a character in any meaningful way.  Though hiding is very un-Khorne, throwing minions in the way of arrows is much more in keeping :) 

On 3/28/2017 at 7:35 PM, Arkiham said:

tell me about it.  I also faced blight kings today for the first time.

Well, that was a bit special, especially as he managed to roll three 6's on the to hit rol giving him 12 extra attacks.

I struggled to find things in our army that could rain down that amount of hurt.  It was a good game though.

I thought I'd take a slaughterbrute and chimera as it was introducing a friend to the game.  He had nurgle forsaken with blightkings and knights.

only a small game, but lordy can they hit hard.

Will be going for the blend of Khorne Mortals and Daemons, with a cheap Bloodthirster leading the way assisted by Bloodsecrators, Bloodstiker and/or Skarr. I think that we have some really decent options within Khorne but I'm sure Blades of Khorne will provide the clearer synergy that newer players might be missing out on and obviously have a clearer option to build lists without Magic at all, all to make the Khorne army more flavourful.

The current plan is to have a blend of chaff-killers (Blood Reavers and Wrathmongers) combined with quality-killers (Skulltakers, Bloodletters and Bloodthirster) which I think will end up with something interesting and powerful. That design might very well lack the speed some deem required but I guess I'll have to test that out first :)

Archived