Loss of TK range

Lord marcus

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally i didn't mind at all as i was indifferent to that army in 8th edition.  Tomb Kings seemed a bit powerless while the vampires were both powerful and had solid fluff. But reading their rules when i started AoS, i both loved the rules amd the models of the Tomb Kings range. I hope GW would bring us the Tomb Kings again with plastic models instead of metal ones.

26 minutes ago, TerrorPenguin said:

I'm not a big fan of the aesthetic; much prefer the gothic horror one.

Going by the white dwarf and the person who designed the mortarch's and nagash this seems to be the case. He stated nagash and the mortarch's were designed in mind for the aesthetic for the undead for AOS. So I suspect they are going to keep with the gothic theme with the slight tinge of tomb king here and there. 

Also I felt the writing was on the wall somewhat even updated people went with Vampire counts, They were stronger fluff wise and story wise and I feel fluff wise Arkhan should of not been in the TK book and the vampire counts fluff was pretty much about resurrecting nagash. 

16 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

There is always a possibility that they will re introduce the aesthetic somehow. If not as a whole army then maybe just in individual monsters.

It would be a shame for that whole avenue of undead to go to waste though.

I admit I don't think we'd be feeling it as much if we'd had a good few releases - does feel like a gap at the moment 

4 minutes ago, TerrorPenguin said:

I admit I don't think we'd be feeling it as much if we'd had a good few releases - does feel like a gap at the moment 

GW no exactly what they are doing. Driving us crazy with all the possible avenues for death to take and then just when we lose hope. BAM!

We will have death models coming out of our ears and will be going suitably nuts for them. Come oooon Abborash!!

3 hours ago, KHHaunts said:

GW no exactly what they are doing. Driving us crazy with all the possible avenues for death to take and then just when we lose hope. BAM!

We will have death models coming out of our ears and will be going suitably nuts for them. Come oooon Abborash!!

Perhaps, I guess there is...

Have you seen eBay prices for a necrosphinx?

++Mod Edit++

We do not condone the illegal production of copyrighted material here at TGA, do not make mention to them again.

44 minutes ago, Lord marcus said:

Perhaps, I guess there is...

Have you seen eBay prices for a necrosphinx?

++Mod Edit++

We do not condone the illegal production of copyrighted material here at TGA, do not make mention to them again.

Sorry i dont understand. How does ebay automatically = illegal copies.

Not argueing but thats not actually a given is it?

. . . .. or is the copyright bit what you edited out?

21 hours ago, Lord marcus said:

I personally had open projects using those models that I now cannot finish ...

This is exactly why I said on Warhammer Weekly back in the Spring of '15 that people needed to purchase the rest of their models for their open army projects as we didn't know what was going away.

I'm sad to see them go but I'm sitting on a veritable gold mine of TK models NIB because I knew this could potentially happen.  My hope is that they do another run of them in the future.   

1 hour ago, Thomas Lyons said:

This is exactly why I said on Warhammer Weekly back in the Spring of '15 that people needed to purchase the rest of their models for their open army projects as we didn't know what was going away.

I'm sad to see them go but I'm sitting on a veritable gold mine of TK models NIB because I knew this could potentially happen.  My hope is that they do another run of them in the future.   

Which was financially unfeasible at that time for me.

During 8th edition, I wanted to start a TK army, but held off because I couldn't see any way to make the army competitive enough for me to enjoy using. I don't need to be top-tier, but feeling like I'm doomed before we've even rolled a dice just drains away my enthusiasm.

When The End Times came out, I considered doing a TK army because it looked like they'd actually become viable, but I held off to see what GW would do next.

When AoS came out, I picked up a couple of TK units to try them out, but rapidly decided that "no points" wasn't for me. At that time, I didn't think AoS would ever have points.

When I heard TK would be discontinued, I did nothing because I'd pretty much given up on AoS.

Now we have the General's Handbook, my interest is rekindled, but I've had to scrounge for TK stuff off ebay.

So, yeah… I'm frustrated with GW, they've lost potential sales from me, and it's only the lack of decent alternative venues that's keeping me from jumping ship. Even if GW stated outright what their future plans are for Death, I'd be a lot happier. It's being kept in the dark that really bugs me.

I really always though TK was kind of redudent and didnt look good. Very similar to bretonia. Both factions could have easily been a branch of another bigger force that already existed. 

I think death has some really nice options for expantion, and i think it would be cool if they expanded the current factionsnthey have as they could go in alot of cool directs. 

43 minutes ago, Squirrelmaster said:

During 8th edition, I wanted to start a TK army, but held off because I couldn't see any way to make the army competitive enough for me to enjoy using. I don't need to be top-tier, but feeling like I'm doomed before we've even rolled a dice just drains away my enthusiasm.

When The End Times came out, I considered doing a TK army because it looked like they'd actually become viable, but I held off to see what GW would do next.

When AoS came out, I picked up a couple of TK units to try them out, but rapidly decided that "no points" wasn't for me. At that time, I didn't think AoS would ever have points.

When I heard TK would be discontinued, I did nothing because I'd pretty much given up on AoS.

Now we have the General's Handbook, my interest is rekindled, but I've had to scrounge for TK stuff off ebay.

So, yeah… I'm frustrated with GW, they've lost potential sales from me, and it's only the lack of decent alternative venues that's keeping me from jumping ship. Even if GW stated outright what their future plans are for Death, I'd be a lot happier. It's being kept in the dark that really bugs me.

There was a recent indiegogo campaign to fund a tomb king like army for T9A. Company is called tms, might be an option

1 hour ago, Lord marcus said:

There was a recent indiegogo campaign to fund a tomb king like army for T9A. Company is called tms, might be an option

The problem I have at the moment is, I only really play at the local GW store. I keep meaning to go looking for a local gaming club (I'm sure there must be one around), but that takes time and effort and frankly, I've had bad experiences with gaming clubs in the past. They can get quite clique-y, and I always find it hard to break into that.

So for the time being, I'm sticking with GW only. If I do move on, what I end up playing will probably depend on what group I find. It may not be Warhammer-related at all.

If we're being realistic, Tomb Kings would require almost a complete reworking from a model perspective.  The only models that you could feasibly resurrect with no changes would be the Necrosphinx.  The base skeleton warrior needs overhauling to match the sleeker Vampire count version so we're talking about a minimum of 3 new boxes of models: skeleton warriors/tomb guard; horsemen; chariot.  We'd also want an updated Necropolis Knight box plus characters which would actually make it the biggest release we've seen since the Bloodbound/Stormcast (Tzeentch doesn't count as some of the models cross over as part of the 40k release).

I'd love to see them come back but think we're going to see other Death factions coming first because they need less work to launch them.  I think the best thing we can do to expedite this is to all use the Mengel Battletome when it comes out and flood the internet with images of third-party models playing in AoS.  Although they'd not be allowed in any GW location, it would reinforce the support the faction has.

15 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

The problem I have at the moment is, I only really play at the local GW store. I keep meaning to go looking for a local gaming club (I'm sure there must be one around), but that takes time and effort and frankly, I've had bad experiences with gaming clubs in the past. They can get quite clique-y, and I always find it hard to break into that.

So for the time being, I'm sticking with GW only. If I do move on, what I end up playing will probably depend on what group I find. It may not be Warhammer-related at all.

Fair enough

On 20/12/2016 at 9:24 AM, KHHaunts said:

It would be a shame for that whole avenue of undead to go to waste though.

Yup, if only for the Bone Giant. :)

On 21/12/2016 at 8:12 AM, RuneBrush said:

We'd also want an updated Necropolis Knight box plus characters 

Aren't the Necropolis Knights a bit "finer" in "build" than the regular old Khemrian Skeleton Warriors kit?  I don't own any Necropolis Knights (really didn't like the concept), but my Tomb Guard are less "chunky" than the old Skeleton Warriors, and the Necropolis Knights look a bit "finer" again.  I'd have thought the old Tomb King models were pretty well scaled when compared to the current (Vampire) Skeleton models, and would just need turning into Finecast, or they could just release the Tomb King from the Warsphinx kit..?  Of course, if you were rebooting the range, then it'd make sense to re-do the whole lot ...

On 21/12/2016 at 8:12 AM, RuneBrush said:

I think the best thing we can do to expedite this is to all use the Mengel Battletome when it comes out and flood the internet with images of third-party models playing in AoS.  Although they'd not be allowed in any GW location, it would reinforce the support the faction has.

Yup, I'd be inclined to say that showing GW that they're missing out on getting money would be a good way to make them realise that they might be missing out on something, and increase the chances of them doing something, it's just demonstrating that there's enough demand to overcome the initial design cost.  For what it's worth, I did like the Tomb Kings, and hope they re-appear ...

8 minutes ago, Cordova said:

Yup, if only for the Bone Giant. :)

Ive soon a few threads of people desperatly grasping for Death unit concepts. some are good. But it seems odd when there is such a major one in the form of Egyptian mythology and their obsession with death.

Im hoping that an elite faction as an expansion to the Deathlords that will becomes deaths version of "Ironjaws" will appear and that nagash's black pyramids and such will have an nehekarian aesthetic albeit with a darker look to them like nagash himself.

Me i think things like the war sphinx were a shame.

GW arent stupid if people want it back that badly they will find a way to capitalize on that. one day.

Me:Hey remember that Egyptian type army all those years ago?

Friend:Oh yeah Nekhgyptians or something right?

Me:Yeah i really liked them shame that they went . . . .

GW:BAM!!! TOMB KINGS 2.0 to the face!!!

Us: *crying at the awesomeness of it all*

The end

Mark my words!

By killing off tomb kings they have definitly drummed up fake hype for thier return in one form or another. So the return of such models under a new name makes since.

That said skeletons in different clothing is really silly and pointless to me, and is why i enjoy the loss of brets and tomb kings as they aren't really different enough for my taste to be different armies. It's too much like space marines and just being space marines with different color outfits driving different color boxes. I really wouldn't want to see design or development time spent of basically serving me left overs. 

As far as death is concerned there already exist a lot of options. Death lords being expanded to be a faction for death similar to clan skyre (stormfiend/ doom wheels/ cannons and other pifs stuff) and Beast claw raiders where they are on big super elite style models with massive effects but low wound counts on tough bodies.  Death walkers could be expanded into a more rotten flesh counterpart to the flesh eater which is more distorted adn feasting on the dead sort of aesthetic. Death mage could be rolled into walkers and instantly be come a faction, or some how be extended as a faction with battle line level necromancers and a spell books worth of alliegence. Flesh eaters and death rattle only need a book with allegiance abilities.  Soul blight is your storm cast eternal type of faction. Faction wise we are pretty good they just simply need to be expanded. 

edit: as for Tk the problem is it's all fine cast or worse models. Which given the reception of the reprinted fine cast models. No one is interested out side of being competitive, and even then most of these models are kit bashed out. So any new release to make cash needs to be supported in it's weight in plastic. 

Yeah, I don't really need VC skeletons and TK skeletons to have separate rules, likewise tomb guard and grave guard could be merged into one. Skeletal horsemen with black knights, liche priests with necromancers, fell bats with carrion, wight king banner bearers with tomb heralds, all seem like they could be re-done as a single faction.

I'd have no problem with a new book combining deathlords, reanimants, and deathrattle, with maybe some deathmages, maybe even nighthaunt. I'd rather, though, that they either leave soulblight out, or make it non-central, non-essential.

What I'd want to see, though, is some non-vampire, non-deathmage options for a general with command abilities. Something like a tomb king or improved wight king. Whether that's deathrattle, mummy, or deathlord, I'm not too bothered. I'd want to see undead archers, and chariots. Giant, animated, constructs. Artillery. Something that isn't purely close-combat based, and isn't aesthetically based around flesh-eating monsters or recently dead, rotting, corpses. Ancient, armoured, long-forgotten, proud undead who look and play like an actual, trained, military army, not a shambling horde.

And ideally, yes, I'd like to finally be able to use some of my TK stuff without feeling like I'm playing an army GW forgot about. Frankly, they haven't been a well-supported faction since I started playing in 6th edition.

Not just the TK, but that whole side of the VC, has been pretty much neglected by GW for a while now, and I really think that if they want to do more death battletomes, something like that would be a good candidate.

13 hours ago, mmimzie said:

That said skeletons in different clothing is really silly and pointless to me, and is why i enjoy the loss of brets and tomb kings as they aren't really different enough for my taste to be different armies.

Oddly this is one of the things I really liked about Skeletons - ultimately when you strip everything away you're left with the bones of a warrior driven by Necromantic powers* :D  The force driving them is where the variety comes from and if we really wanted a unique Grand Alliance, that would be how you could add some real flavour in, so your skeletons gain buffs based on your allegiance and the number of Heros you have left on the board.  As a hero dies your skeletons your skeletons loose a little bit of that flavour until all that's left is an animated bone structure mindlessly hacking away at the enemy.  But that's just me waffling!

* In my defence I can remember back when there wasn't any differentiation between the various Undead elements and you had screaming skull catapults mixed in with vampires.

Being absolutely honest, I just want Khalida and the sphinxes back. Maybe the TK range could become something akin to eldar constructs? Say, reanimants are imbued not by magic but by souls of those who once defied Nagash, who now uses whatever energy they have left to power up colossal statues that only do his will.

I mean, if the issue is too much overlapping, then make it so that there isn't as much. An army of Ushabtis, Golems and Giants, all herded by necrotects... Think of it. That way we'd get rid of the overlapping.

Archived