My Rotbringers Horde

GuitaRasmus

Thanks a lot guys. :)

A quick mockup of my idea for the Daemon Prince: 

dpmockup.jpg

It's basically just blutacked together, to get a feel of the pose and the dynamic of the model. I'm pretty much set on the arms (maybe not the axe), the wings and the torso, and right now the lower body is just a Fimo sausage - it'll be bulked up a bit, and giving it a snail/maggot like texture. 

• Like 2

I won't lie - I grinned just a little bit extra when I saw your name on an AoS painting thread. Having followed your work for years on B&C and other places, it's awesome to see you turn your creative juices to this game.

Really looking forward to seeing the painted Cannon in particular, such a brilliant little conversion to make it truly unique and not just "Chaos with Skaven".

Thanks - I appreciate the kind words. :) 

I've gotten hold of some more beast men skulls, which means I was able to do 5 more "Pestigors" plaguebearers. 

844991-.jpg

844990-.jpg

Still need to do some green stuffing to finish them, but overall I'm happy with them. 

Edited by GuitaRasmus
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Absolutely love these! excellent work really like the sorceror and harbinger. May i ask what is the base model of the sorceror? Also the harbinger is that just the rider from the rotspawn kit and a plague drone? They look incredible i find the stock GW models for them very bland and nothing exciting about them but love how youve portrayed them. Looking forward to seeing any more pics you post.

Long time, no post. We're finally settled in our new home, and I've gotten myself a nice man cave and a dedicated hobby space, for the first time - which is awesome. I've managed to put in a few hours of paint this weekend, and while the Soul Grinder is still very much WIP, it's getting there. I could use some suggestions as to what colour the weird mantis weapon (top left) should be - I think there's enough red and green on it already. Maybe purple? 

soulgrinderpaint1.jpg

As always, comments and critique are appreciated. 

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

8 hours ago, Hollow said:

Looking good. (Or awful :P) I really like the deep, dark, rich green you have achieved. Do tell... how did you achieve it? 

Thanks! It's a simple process, as in "not hard to do", but it has a few steps: 

Basecoat Waargh Flesh

Drybrush Loren forest (generously)

Wash Athonian Camoshade twice

Drybrush Elysian Green (lightly)

Agrax earthshade in deepest recesses. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grr... Dropbox actually did it. They disabled every public link ever made on dropbox. Which is why most of the images on this blog is now little squares with x's in them. I can't believe they actually did it. 6-7 years worth of links - destroyed. It would take hundreds of hours to hunt down every single link on every forum and website I've posted on. I don't know what to do about it, so for the moment it will have to stay as is. I will try to find a solution, and in the meantime, let me give you this advice: Stay the hell away from Dropbox.

So I've managed to actually slap some paint on my trolls. Having a dedicated painting station makes it so much easier to just paint 30 - 60 minutes each night, and they're suddenly done! I'm pretty close to completing them, they just need some rust and gore, but they'll get that after varnish.

nurgletrolls.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 2 years later...

Well, this has been a while; I've been busy with my Squig army for the Gloomspite Gitz, and I needed a break from the little blue guys. I took a small detour and made some reinforcements for my Nurgle army. I've only used a Harbinger of Decay as a general, and for some reason I haven't considered the Great Unclean One as a general. After looking at his warscroll, he seems really cool and brings a whole new thing to the army (one of the things I really like about AoS is the way a general can change an armys synergy), so I decided to try him out.

Last january, the new plastic GUO arrived. A buddy had given me a recast version of the FW GUO some time ago, and while I really like the quiet menacing look he has, I like the new dynamic pose of the plastic GUO even more, so I got one, and started to go to town.

GUO1.jpg

I gave him the classic iconic sword and flail (mostly because it looks cool), but while building him, I was wondering where to put the dark green I use for the armour of my Nurgle army, so I got the idea to make him a gladiator style shoulder pad. It'l obviously get scratched, dinged and rotted up later, but the basic idea is there. Also, for some reason I felt compelled to have a tree with bells growing out of his left shoulder - I'll try to come up with some fluff to explain it. Please note the adorable nurgling posing on the branch. :D

The other addition to my army is a Gnarlmaw. While it has some pretty cool rules, the real bonus, I think, is the way it gives extra contagion points. So I needed one.
However, I wasn't really a fan of the model as is. The branches seemed to weedy to my, and I felt GW missed a chance to make a REALLY creepy tree.
I started experimenting with some spare wyldwood trees, and once it got glued together and greenstuffed, I like it much better than the standard. I'm still deciding whether or not it needs the bells.

gnarlmaw1.jpg

A few shots of some the army, since Dropbox removed the links: 

bk1.jpg

bk2.jpg

Edited by GuitaRasmus
  • Like 11
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

Without the bells how would any nurgle supporter know when/how to run 🤔 

great stuff on all of it. Can’t wait to see the end result on the pauldron. 

Thanks a lot. :)

I've tried to do an explanation on how I do shoulderpads for larger miniatures.

1) I basically start by cutting out and bending a thin piece of plasticard, glueing it in with the help of a couple of blobs of greenstuff. The greenstuff is enough to hold it for now. 

2) I then mix up my favourite 2:1 mix of milliput and green stuff (seriously - try it - your sculpting will improve SO much. ) and slobbered it all over the plasticard. I got the basic shape done by using my fingers and clay shapers, but don't worry about it - it will get better in the next step. 

3) Once this is completely dry, I remove the shoulder pad from the miniature (easily done by carefully prying the green stuff off) and start shaping and refining it by filing, scraping and sanding with sand paper. I left this one a little rough on purpose, but it's pretty easy to get it completely smooth, with 400 grit sand paper. 

4) Once it is smooth, and I am happy with the shape, I start destroying it, as described on this picture: 

GUOshoulder.jpg

Lastly I glue it back on; by doing it as a separate piece, it looks like an actual piece of armour, and not a cartoon.

GUO2.jpg

Still needs the leather strap thats holding it done. 

Edited by GuitaRasmus
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

A bit of progress on the Nurgle guys - after having played practically every game with a Harbinger of Decay as a general, I wanted to try something different, so I've put together a Lord of Afflictions, which I think came out pretty cool:

LOA1.jpg

I think the standard one is very bland, while this one is quite a bit more menacing.

Also, a bit of colour on the tree - much more to come, but hey, it's something. Also, I'm working on Gnarlmaw #2, which is more of less scratchbuilt.

gnarlmaw2.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

Is it just me, or is it really quiet here? ;)

WIP Wednesday. Apparently, it's a thing. At least it is now. Since I have a WIP and it's wednesday.

This guy (the Maggoth Beast, that is) is OLD. I'm not sure if I made it back when the Maggoths first came out, during the end times in 2014, or if he's a little younger, perhaps when I started messing with AoS at first, shortly after it's release.

Anyway, I kinda like the Maggoths at first, but they suffer from a bit of the same malady as the Mutalith - it has a tendency to look a little flat from certain angles. I wanted to make it wilder and more chaosy, and since it came with two extra arms, and extra heads, I thought "why not?" and decided to make this crazy beast. And then, it sat in my cabinet of stranded projects for some years. Until now.

The rider, I made yesterday. I wanted him to be less fighter-y and more sorcerer-y, and I think he conveys a quiet malediction, that somehow gives a cool contrast to the wild beast.

I'm not sure what he's going to be played as; perhaps a Verminlord corruptor? (Tongue = tail attacks, lots of melee attacks = four arms, wizard = the rider on top), or maybe even a Mutalith vortex beast - I don't know yet, but suggestions are welcomed. I just think it's a cool model and it needs to get on the tabletop.

(PS: The real Maggoth lord warscrolls are pretty boring to me, so I'd rather not use those).

MaggothBeast1.jpg

MaggothBeast2.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

As always, I apologise for the long time since my last update, but this time I actually have a valid excuse! My wife gave birth to a little baby boy two weeks ago (affectionately known as "The Squig"), and believe me, when they say that babies eat up all your free time, it's true! It's wonderful and magical and the craziest thing ever and really tough getting next to no sleep - but I wouldn't trade it for the world. :)

Anyway - I've managed to get some work done (most of it before "The Age of Squig"), so I wanted to share them - they still need to get details, varnish, and blood and rust effects, so WIP.

First up, my Great Unclean One - I really like the way the shoulder pad turned out, it's nice to get some of the green of the Blight Kings onto this guy:

guo1.jpg

Lord of Afflictions:

LOA1.jpg

Also, said Blight Kings:

BK1.jpg

My Maggoth Lord conversion (probably gonna count as a Verminlord Corruptor, once the wizard rider gets done)

VL1.jpg

And the project I'm mostly excited about; I bought a Glottkin a loooooong time ago, and made a new head for it, since I wasn't really a fan of the original one. However, I wasn't really happy with the model overall either - It's always struck me as a great concept, with a somewhat lacklustre execution.

I took a deep breath, dunked him in rubbing alcohol, and stripped the old paintjob. I ripped my original converted head off him, and made a new one from the "arm-face" of Rotigus, combined with the horns from one of the GUO heads, and the lower jaw of Ghurk - now THATS more like it! Much more tormented and evil looking. The other change was his right arm - I love the lamprey maw, but the arm just seemed weirdly short and out of place on such a big model. I cut it of and reposed it, and added the censer from the Skaven Plague Furnace, as a giant wrecking ball - YEAH! Now we're getting somewhere!

Lastly I added some claws from some sort of Tyranid monster to the tentacle, since I thought it was a bit weedy looking - more spikes are always more gooder!

Obviously he still needs quite a bit of sculpting, blending and detailing, and a rider added (I'm contemplating a guy with a cannon, actually), and I'm thinking about magnetising him to his base, so I can have two bases and use him as either The Glottkin or a Soul Grinder. Still, I'm really excited about him, and I really like where it's going:

GK1.jpg

GK2.jpg

As always, comments and critique is much appreciated. :) 

Edited by GuitaRasmus
  • Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 4

Awesome conversions here, I'm definitely going to have to steal some of your ideas! Can you share where you got the icon bit on Otto's back in your Blightking's picture?

I'd love to see more, shame the images on the first page are gone. Please share more photos!

Edited by Artorias2728

9 minutes ago, Artorias2728 said:

Awesome conversions here, I'm definitely going to have to steal some of your ideas! Can you share where you got the icon bit on Otto's back in your Blightking's picture?

I'd love to see more, shame the images on the first page are gone. Please share more photos!

Thanks a lot! :) Steal Away. The icon bit is from the 40k Death Guard, either the Plague Marines or the Death Shroud kit, can't quite remember. 

The first photos got lost in the dropbox-gate - They have been reposted on page two, from another server. 

I was admiring your work today (either on google images or Pinterest) didn’t realise it was from a log here, amazing work, very creative and cool conversions. The Maggoth rider is simply fantastic, love the altered looks, gives it much more presence. 

22 hours ago, Kronos said:

I was admiring your work today (either on google images or Pinterest) didn’t realise it was from a log here, amazing work, very creative and cool conversions. The Maggoth rider is simply fantastic, love the altered looks, gives it much more presence. 

14 hours ago, Killamike said:

Just come across this.  Amazing work, everything is a piece of art. 

You should feel pretty chuffed with yourself. Grats on squig too. 

Thanks a lot guys. 😊