Let's chat Grotz and Moonclan

MidasKiss

7 hours ago, Matt Large said:

I wasnt sure about the warbosses rule about 6s when i played him. Is it unmodified 6s fail, how does it work with modifiers? 

It could use clarification to me, but I believe it is referring to unmodified rolls of 6 on the die.  But you could play it as all final results of 6 are treated as 1.  It should work out the same in the end as long as you are consistent about which way you play it.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me it reads like natural rolls of a 6.

The other option is that it's after modifiers which is super weird, if you have +2 to hit him and roll a 4 then that becomes a 1, but a roll of a 5 wouldn't (because it doesn't have or more).

22 minutes ago, Malakree said:

To me it reads like natural rolls of a 6.

The other option is that it's after modifiers which is super weird, if you have +2 to hit him and roll a 4 then that becomes a 1, but a roll of a 5 wouldn't (because it doesn't have or more).

If you are consistent then they end up being the same thing.  I agree with you that I think it is for natural dice rolls.   But if an opponent wanted to argue the other way, then I probably would let them have the other way since the wording is a bit ambiguous here.

It seems pretty obvious though that the intention is to turn one specific to-hit value into another.  So, if you use natural 6s, or a roll modified to a 6, then the result is pretty much the same unless someone has an ability that triggers on a natural 6.  I don't really care enough to argue with someone else about it.  But it would be nice if GW clarified the rule a bit.

I think it should be after modifiers.

There was an FAQ that said:

Q: How do abilities which trigger on ‘a roll of 6’ interact with modifiers? For example, if an ability states that it has an effect on ‘a wound roll of 6’ and the model has a modifier which adds 1 to their wound rolls, would a roll of 6 trigger that ability?
A: Yes. In the Warhammer Age of Sigmar rules, ‘a roll of 6’ is treated as being synonymous with ‘a roll of 6 or more’.

So yes, if someone has +2 to hit then 4, 5 and 6 get treated as a 1. 1s fail. Grot warboss survives! 

Annoyingly the new change -1 hit from shooting, means that 6s become 5s so don't count as 6s.

1 minute ago, Donal said:

Q: How do abilities which trigger on ‘a roll of 6’ interact with modifiers? For example, if an ability states that it has an effect on ‘a wound roll of 6’ and the model has a modifier which adds 1 to their wound rolls, would a roll of 6 trigger that ability?
A: Yes. In the Warhammer Age of Sigmar rules, ‘a roll of 6’ is treated as being synonymous with ‘a roll of 6 or more’.

So yes, if someone has +2 to hit then 4, 5 and 6 get treated as a 1. 1s fail. Grot warboss survives! 

Annoyingly the new change -1 hit from shooting, means that 6s become 5s so don't count as 6s.

Fair enough, that seems pretty fricking rude.

Also the -1 making it 5s is kinda irrelevant because you are still removing a result (just at the bottom instead of the top) and they still aren't getting a 6+.

If this is the case then they should clean up that rules interaction.  It seems very counter-intuitive to have a single character who needs to stand more than 3" away from any units to get his protective ability to work - especially if that character is a grot who should thematically be trying to shield himself from harm behind other grots.

Also, I would like to see the rule from the Gitmob characters that grants them a 5+ chance to shift any damage onto a nearby unit within 3" to be applied as a blanket rule to all non-behemoth/monster grot characters.  It is a nice ability for what are pretty squishy characters, and it seems very much like something just about any grot would do.

To be fair, look out sir is AoS2, FAQ is AoS1, who knows what will happen with the warscroll (or potential future releases).

I'm loving moonclan at the minute, have been playing the  same list for about 4-5 months so excited to see how it plays in the rules changes things up

7 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

What is your current list?

Allegiance: Moonclan Grots

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
Grot Warboss (120)
- General
- Moon Prodder & Giant Cave Squig
- Trait: Big and Brutish
- Artefact: Battered Talisman

Battleline
60 x Moonclan Grots (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

20 x Cave Squigs (240)

Units
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
2 x Grot Squig Herders (20)

Behemoths
Colossal Squig (300)

War Machines
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 225

Allegiance: Moonclan Grots

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
Grot Warboss (120)
- General
- Moon Prodder & Giant Cave Squig
- Trait: Big and Brutish
- Artefact: Battered Talisman

Battleline

20 x Cave Squigs (240)

Units
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)
2 x Grot Squig Herders (20)

Behemoths
Colossal Squig (300)

War Machines
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 225

This is almost exactly the list I've been building towards. Fun enough that people see it and say "YAY!", deadly enough to be competetive.

17 minutes ago, Dez said:

This is almost exactly the list I've been building towards. Fun enough that people see it and say "YAY!", deadly enough to be competetive.

Yeah I think it is as optimized a list as I can make it (if i want to stay pure Moonclan...).

I finished 9th at LGT with it

Looks like a fun list.  I can't argue with any of the choices you made in there.  Is the warlord trait you chose the extra wound one?  I don't remember them by name off the top of my head.  That one stuck out to me as a good choice for either the mounted or on foot Warboss.

I would probably have tried to stick a couple Manglers into the list somewhere, but that is just because I like squigs of all shapes and sizes a lot, and not as much due to pure optimization choices.

With GW now stating that every full 50 points you do not spend on your army will generate 1 extra command point, I am curious how many lists (if any) will drop a rock-lobber for 2 command points.  Depending upon your army construction I could see that as a decent choice to make.  Specifically in regards to Moonclan, it means a possible 2 extra Inspiring Presence - which I could see being extremely useful (especially if you play with units of Cave Squigs).

Yeah its the +1 wound trait.

I originally had ran a 2 mangler, 2 colossal list but it just didn't have enough depth/bodies to win on scenarios.

That said, my list/strategy is basically "run grots forward, here are my grots, kill my grots, score objective". I only scored 2800 kill points in the tournament...

I like cave squigs for the swingy threat that they provide, they can't be ignored, but they often just die anyway

Hey @Donal, it's cool to hear about your visit to LGT - I noticed there was an army listed as Grand Alliance Destruction at 9th but with relatively low kill points so was quite curious about what was in the army!

You must have played the objective game pretty well, congrats on doing it like a gobbo ?

Kill points were low largely due to the match ups I had and my colossal & rock lobbas rolling relatively poorly. e.g. my rock l

Summary of match ups below

Game 1 was aetherwing in knife to heart. I knew i had to kill his unit of 9 which i managed to do by playing baiting with my rock lobba crews and playing aggressively with one of my grot units. once i got that, then i took a few more points, but didn't want to give away any cheap points so played defensively,

Game 2: Nurgle (Max's 2nd placed list) in duality - There was no way for me to win this.  he went first, got his GUO onto objective protected bu puscoyle blightkings (and terrain preventing me looping around).  other objective was protected by terrain so i didnt have alot of room to kill his weaker heroes or other units.

Game 3: mixed order (30 arkhanauts, 12 sky wardens, hurricanum, aether khemist, 40 dwarves) in battle for the pass. Another tough match up. the skywardens have faster movement so were able to shoot my lobbas (not all though). My colossal didn't do much despite charging sky wardens when at full health (only did 1 wound). I managed to grind out the sky wardens with grots & colossal while scoring the objective on the left, while my grot unit held the right flank and and my cave squigs/heroes/lobbas held my home. I got up on points (Scored both middle for 3 turns vs him scoring it once). Turn 4, I scored one more middle so was up on points and then used cave squigs to bubble wrap the objective and stop him scoring my home.

Game 4: legion of night in starstrike - super fun game against a regular tourney opponent. I got forced march on my colossal & grots (had been using gutstompa allegiance but this was the first time it did anything of note). was given first turn, charge my colossal into 40 skellies. my lobbas only did 3 wounds against them (despite 1 having damned), my colossal did a few wounds (like 9 or 10), but my grots had been brought into combat by the skellies and managed to make up for the poor lobba/colossal rolling by killing 12 skellies. Post battleshock the unit was taken from 40 to 4. The rest of the game was me blocking his mobility and praying that objective landed iether in middle or on the left. luckily thats what happened and there wasnt much he could do. 

Game 5: vanguard wing. I finally got ambush from the gutstompa allegiance (which i needed), i deployed in such a way to stop prosecutors from coming down behind my lines and had my grots stretched from top right to bottom left objective. He took first turn, but i had more models in range of the objective and stopped him scoring. End of turn 1 i was on 3-1 in objectives. I won priority and managed to get another 3 points. He took my bottom left objective (it was weaker protected). In reterospect I could have prevented him scoring this but i hadnt thought enough in advance. Either way end of turn 2 was 6-4. I won priority turn 4, and held my right objectives  (8-6). Turn 4 he won priority but he didn't have enough damage output or time to take me down to score objective. I def got the rub of the green on this. Think i would have struggled with ambush,  and the first two priorities. Only killed 1 unit of prosecutors in this game since I didn't attack his libs (he had sisters of thorn so I would have done more damage to myself than him)

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

Yea rock lobbas can be hit or miss, literally! Gitmob could use a grot engineer to help gain the extra shots or something.

That strikes me more as a way to bring back the Orc bully and roll Gitmob up into Greenskinz or a Waaagh! Gordrak type of battletome.

@Donal Ok, so I saw your list linked in another thread and also heard that the colossal squig was made from a Christmas ornament with some dinosaur toy legs and green stuff.  I’m gonna need a picture of this!

I am working on a toy kitbash for my 2nd colossal squig myself - although I am using a toy angler fish as the main body.  But also dinosaur toy legs.  I have yet to begin actually working on this, but the parts seem to line up.  I just need to take a saw and start hacking it up.

05CD85E5-9147-45F4-A16A-99F6117AA3B7.jpeg

20 hours ago, Saiken said:

Blame me if it's not the right topic to say this. But with the new Rumour Engine picture. I have a feeling we might be very happy, very soon :D

Yeh, going off what how they described it on Warhammer Weekly, I'm thinking that I may have a reason to finish rebasing the rest of my moonclan. :D

Archived