VLOZD Weapons

TerrorPenguin

Actuallt I'd say its sword/lancr, shield, Chalice unless FAQ'd else. 

As the wording is "many... weild... a lance, whilst others ... slash... with a... sword. Some carry a(n).... shield, and a few also bear a chalice"

Also is inclusive and none restrictive. As for all wording questions in rules. it is a very good idea to look at other sources:

"Also" is used for shield for skeletons. In which case either varient of skeleton may take a shield.

My reading was that every one of them has the chalice AND the shield and can take the lance OR the sword.

Many of these Vampire Lords wield a Deathlance for maximum damage on the charge, whilst others slash their foes with a Vampiric Sword. 

"Many... whilst others" implies one or the other. I've heard other readings, but I don't give them much credit - this seems pretty clear to me.

Some carry an Ancient Shield emblazoned with dark heraldry, and a few also bear a Chalice of Blood.

This one is absolutely clear. Some have an ancient shield. Some ALSO have a chalice of blood. That's quite straightforward: you can have one, you can have the other, you can have both.

1 hour ago, ElectricPaladin said:

"Many... whilst others" implies one or the other. I've heard other readings, but I don't give them much credit - this seems pretty clear to me.

Whilst I agree with your interpretation, do you understand how people would read it differently? Or know a source where it has been answered in this way?

I might be alone in thinking this, but I do think some of the descriptions are less than clear.

14 minutes ago, TerrorPenguin said:

Whilst I agree with your interpretation, do you understand how people would read it differently? Or know a source where it has been answered in this way?

I don't get it either, TBH, but the idea was popular when I posted in the Death Alliance Facebook group asking how to build my VLOZD. So... reading comprehension? At the risk of sounding like a total ******, Age of Sigmar has really damaged my faith in my fellow nerds' reading ability. A lot of folks seem to have a hard time understanding basic written English, or at the very least, being capable of deluding themselves.

Preference wise i like the lance. I think in this game system front loaded damage is really strong with battleshock and buffs. Plus if you kill enough of some units you can reduce the damage you take.  THough really it's all preference.

Edit: My VLoA also uses a lance, but he's an assasin all in hero the way i tend to play him,.

I think it depends on your use. If you're doing the VLoZD bomb i.e. Red Fury + Cloak of Mist and Shadows, then the lance makes a lot of sense. You'll most likely get two pile ins with the lance rerolling your hits (command ability) at damage 3.

If you're planning to hold him back for any reason, the sword probably is the better option.

Archived