Getting the most from "Monsters of Chaos"

DarkBlack

Let's talk chaos monsters... Please leave the daemons out of this particular discussion though.

I got a mutalith recently, the model makes a great centre piece and the rules are not bad (for 220pts). I love it. It ate a unit of elves (there was a chariot with it) and shot out a bolt thrower in it's first game.

My chimera failed miserably though. It did 1 mortal wound and then whiffed against an 80 point hero and died. In most games it's just a kind of mobile D6 mortal wound generator that struggles if anything catches up to it. Not bad, but never seems to make it's points back.

My shaggoth does well, but gets targeted and put down half the time. I'm going to try putting a chaos talisman on it to see if that helps.

Ive been thinking of converting that oliphant I bought when people played LotR into a chaos war mammoth. Rules look good and at 22 wounds for 300 points with a 5+ save, should be a good chaff and hammer unit. Also gives benefits to marauder units. Seems like the mourngul, it is criminally undercosted.

The chaos monsters aren't the best,  but, the gigantic chaos spawn is a Markable monster. and tbh, isn't that badly costed at 180 points, has 2 rend when undamaged and can really pump out the damage, with 2d6 attacks and d6 -2 rend d3 damage attacks. hitting on a 4+ or 3+ if you roll a double.

Tbh I feel he's close to being our best monster 

I have seriously been thinking of running 4 jabberslythes with my brayherd. Just think about it. ☺ (Dont look at his stats, look at his abilities. The first one stack and the second one is brutal. And he can fly and cost 140pt)

But even if you think that is a bit extreme I think one jabberslythe is the best chaos monster for its cost.

2 hours ago, Andreas said:

I have seriously been thinking of running 4 jabberslythes with my brayherd. Just think about it. ☺ (Dont look at his stats, look at his abilities. The first one stack and the second one is brutal. And he can fly and cost 140pt)

But even if you think that is a bit extreme I think one jabberslythe is the best chaos monster for its cost.

Wow, that is pretty good for 140pts. I would not take 4 though, I assume you can put something else in a behemoth slot.

2 hours ago, Andreas said:

I have been also been thinking that jabberslythes are a good deal.  Just for fun I would like to run the 4, push them right up in my opponents face, the potential disruption to be had there with the aura of madness, possibly overlapping, would be a neat little thing to try.

5 hours ago, Tasman said:

I'm surprised that there's no love for Ghorgons....14 wounds, healing, blood greed. The only problem is that it's never in stock at GW....

I have played both Ghorgons and Jabberslythes and I like both. But to be honest if I needed to pick one and they cost the same I would take the jabber. Much more usefull in game IMO.

The Jabberslyth is my go to choice of monster, with it's low point cost and it's spurting bile blood ability, you can happily deploy it as a toad drake/insect suicide bomber, capable of taking down opponents double it's size, both in points and in the more figuritive sense. It's easily the best monster in my case these days, I've never had a game where it didn't make it's points back, and it's such a sweet model! I really enjoyed painting all the little insects on the base, its a really nice colourful, but dark addition to my brayherd.

On the subject of Ghorgons, I find that they are good on paper, but in a game they tend to be quite lackluster. The slavering maw attack never really hits when I need it to, and it's just a bit too slow for my liking, at a movement of 8. Should you deploy one onto the table, you can be sure it's going to be an alarming priority target for your opponent, the Ghorgon is not exactly an inconspicuous chap. I've never really tried to play one with a Doombull general however, let alone with the bullgor stampede formation, which is where this monster would really shine.

A great monster that consistently works well for me, is the soulgrinder.

The ghorgon can have trouble hurting high armor units but against hordes just kiss them goodbye. Always attack with the maw first just in case as well. In the stampede with a doombull nearby you can make him hit and wound on 2s and get 2 extra attacks for every 4+ to wound. It gets nuts fast. I had one go through 10 brutes and a maw krusha last game due to sheer number of attacks. The jabber is my go to for killing the enemies big hitters though. Since I run the warherd they tend to shoot everything but the jabber to start and then he gets into a treelord or something and they both die.

I've found the Slaughterbrute to be pretty useless. Needs to be markable and allowed to be bound to any chaos lord, instead of just STD.

Mutalith is good fun with the random abilities, especially when you turn your enemies into spawn. The regen is nice too.

Chimera has the decent breath weapon but mine always seems to whiff its attacks in combat. It's easily killed with ranged weapons (eg. Stormcast bows).

None of the above can be marked, but really need it.

Soulgrinder adds good ranged threat to a khorne list and decent in combat. Markable too. 

I'd like to try the gigantic chaos spawn - it's markable, can heal wounds and is fairly cheap.

• 11 months later...

Does anybody have any experience/thoughts on the Cygor? I have a spartan themed army coming together and the old cyclops form the albion campaign. The rules seem to fit a lot better than a giant and it is a potential ally. 

image.jpeg.6231ee7c71787f4f6db9707ba13791e4.jpeg

#notmypaintjob

I'm really surprised at what the jabberslythe can do.... killed a megaboss on mawcrusher when it died..... I'd never used it before so it took me totally from the blind side. I'm definitely going to work it into more games, swell as the chaos dragon.... the old Galrauth. It has a nice spell, 10 wounds, a nice save, flies and has two breath weapons. I need to work this into a Tzeentch list somehow.

Archived