Gryph Hounds and Lord Castellant/Veritant

Turragor

Question

So I am only checking my app (and battletomes for gryphhound and castellant) but it looks like the Lord Castellant and Lord Veritant have a different relationship and associated cost when it comes to the gryph hound.

The Lord Castellant scroll does not mention a hound. Rather the warscroll for the Gryph hound mentions that it is bound to the Castellant if they're within a certain range. There's no setup information. 2 scrolls, 2 costs, 2 setups.

Total 140 pts with 1 gryph hound, 100 pts without.

Incidentally, I am almost certain this scroll used to read something more like the Lord Veritants (below) and have a special setup option. EDIT This is not the case. I checked the tomes and they're the same as the app.

The Lord Veritant scroll contains the rules for gryph hound deployment. It is optional. If you opt for it the rule mentions that you can set down a hound immediately after setting up the Veritant. 1 scroll, 1 cost, 1 setup.

Total 120 pts with or without 1 gryph hound.

My question is, is this interpretation correct? I am uncertain.

16 answers to this question

I agree with this "However, while discussing this on Facebook on one of the AOS groups, a few were saying that because it happens during deployment, it is not happening 'during the battle' and so would have to be in the army list.  "

1 hour ago, Tronhammer NZ said:

I agree that it comes out of Reinforcement Points...

a few were saying that because it happens during deployment, it is not happening 'during the battle' and so would have to be in the army list.

Worth bearing in mind that the rule doesn't say anything about when it has to happen to qualify. The rule itself simply says "sometimes a spell or ability will allow you to add units to your army.... you must set aside some of your points in order to be able to use these units". No mention of whether that has to be once you've started battle rounds yet.

The only time it mentions the words "during a battle" is when the rule describes how to subtract points from your pool total. There is otherwise no stipulation on whether your extra units happen in deployment, or on the 4th round.

I'd just take it as rules as written, like the rest of aos is best done that way.

"Sometimes an ability allows you to add units to your army". Are you adding units to your army? Yes. Are you doing so because of an ability? Yes. Therefore reinforcement points.

I agree that it comes out of Reinforcement Points, as it is being brought to the table via an ability.

However, while discussing this on Facebook on one of the AOS groups, a few were saying that because it happens during deployment, it is not happening 'during the battle' and so would have to be in the army list. 

Probably one of those things to check with the TO beforehand until an FAQ comes out.

5 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

The Castellent's different from the other two simply because he's an earlier warscroll. If he'd been released a year later I guarantee you he'd have gryph-hound summoning rules identical to the Veritant and Excelsior Warpriest.

That is probably it. And then its not so confusing as to require a reprint or update.

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

I will play it as such until I read otherwise because I think this feels the most correct.

I will, separately, ponder why the castellant is different from the other two.

The Castellent's different from the other two simply because he's an earlier warscroll. If he'd been released a year later I guarantee you he'd have gryph-hound summoning rules identical to the Veritant and Excelsior Warpriest.

16 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

In the veritant's case, it's because it's a specially trained Gryph-hound that does frantic semaphore to let the veritant know which page of the spell book the bad guys are reading... emoji6.png
"What's that, Lassie? The necromancer's summoning a terrorgheist? Good girl!"

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sign language with a tail

In the veritant's case, it's because it's a specially trained Gryph-hound that does frantic semaphore to let the veritant know which page of the spell book the bad guys are reading... [emoji6]
"What's that, Lassie? The necromancer's summoning a terrorgheist? Good girl!"

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

The Veritant (and Excelsior Warpriest)'s optional gryph-hound is an ability that allows you to add a unit to your army and as stated in the Reinforcement Points section of the GHB matched play rules would cost 40 points from your reinforcement points pool to summon. :) 

I will play it as such until I read otherwise because I think this feels the most correct.

I will, separately, ponder why the castellant is different from the other two.

Ive never played an army that summons or has 'setup extra model' effects but perhaps this is already covered in that there might be another warscroll out there that has an extra deployment setup and that has been faq'd as from the reinforcement points pool?

Archived