Bloodbound leaders. "Who's a cut above"??

Captbeefheart

So... I recently got Gorechosen and I already have a few of the bloobound leaders but my question is which bloodbound leaders ones are essential, or fun to play or who just  kicks general butt in your experience?

So far here's my take:

Bloodsecrator:  basically essential in bloodbound because of the +1 to hit (correction +1 attacks) and the massive range he has. He is pretty tough at 3+ save.  My question is more about whether I should run 2 rather than 1?

Bloodstoker: good synergies with that reroll of wound rolls of 1 (especially with skullreapers).  Cheap.  In army without shooting his ability to give bonuses to charges means that the blood will flow quicker as you get units into combat sooner.

Slaughterpriest: I wish these guys did more.  I think if you get some key roles they can swing a whole battle ( unfortunately I have yet to have this amazing experience).  I love the model itself but have had limited success on the field.  That said I feel I have underutilized his make-other-units-charge-ability and this may be where he shines.  If they won't come to me (I'm talking to you you shooty units) then I will bring you to me.  Would love to make more blood boil as he I swear one of the few units that can cause automatic mortal wounds.

Skarr Bloodwrath:  now here's a fun model!  This guy is amazing and he has always come back into combat after being killed when I play him.  He's like... herpes? (Too soon/ too ...gross?).  Puts out tons of wounds, has interesting synergies, and generally pisses off your opponent.   Hits 2+ wounds on3's.... with 5 attacks (without synergies)!  I feel he is more of a fluffy option given his points and other units that are more essential,  but I would love to hear how someone continually runs him in their lists.  

---- now I'm outside my own personal experience---

Exalted deathbringer:  how's he play? The model is awesome and I can't wait to paint it but how's his playability?  I hear the way to play him is with the skullgouger but would love to hear other thoughts.  His general command ability looks cool, but increased bravery doesn't get me hot and bothered.  I like all those attacks though.

Aspiring Deathbringer:  a few folks on the forum have mentioned he is a contender for general given his cheap point cost and his abilities.  I like his attacks , decent save and his command ability (extra attacks) is solid.

Skullgrinder:  full disclosure, I a man running this guy next.  The model is cool, the fluff is cool, he almost auto wounds (on a 2+) with a 2" range 3 damage with 2 attacks.  This is worth a shot because it looks like serious fun (of course I am already prepared   to roll 1's and regret it).  Hi ability looks cool but not sure how situational it is.  Convince me I'm crazy.

Valkia!: the only model I don't have (that's gonna change real soon).  She looks pretty tough!  I love her mobility in an army that suffers for it.  Rend -2 is awesome especially when she's getting 6 attacks with a 2" range' hitting and wounding on 3's, Awesome spear ... I'm wondering if she is worth the point cost or is a more fluffy option.  I reeallly want to run her.  

--- that brings us to standard generals---

Mighty Lord of Khorne: given my point maximums I have only read hi a few times and I used him terribly.  I have been able (or perhaps to unwilling) to get him into combat which I'm sure he is where he shines.  Would love to see his axe in action.

Juggerlord: I have never run him but have a model.  I hear great things about him on this forum and plan on running him in my  next battle.  I have been less than psyched about the bloodcrushers but I here the juggerlord is tough as nails (8 wounds +3 save)

What are your thoughts about Khorne's Gorechosen?  Who has let you down and who has won Khorne's favor?  

You're on the right track for the first half. Don't have much to add to that, though I've not run Skarr.

The Exalted Deathbringer is just a beatstick. He triggers Blooded Lieutenant by being the general himself if you want a cheapo general who's alright at fighting. Altogether he's nothing special. The same applies to the Aspiring Deathbringer who brings a pretty good Command in exchange for having just appalling combat stats (even worse if you're unlucky enough to have the old model with its extra pathetic special rule - thanks GW). Some people rate him but if your opponent has any reach in his list and clocks that you're getting +1 attack aura and a command trait from a 5W 4+ save model then that's not going to last. This brings me to my next point.

The command trait is often as good or better than the command ability. If you're against Order the +1 to hit 10" aura is ridiculously good. You really want that general to stay alive. This really brings up the stock of the Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut, with the 3+ save and 8 Wounds. He's not immortal by any means but he is noticeably faster and tougher than the cheaper alternatives and his command ability is decent. The Mighty Lord is very similar but both suffer from their command abilities being useless after you're already engaged. I've found myself drifting towards the Juggerlord as a default general because of this.

The Skullgrinder is cool and fun but he's squishy and slow. I only ran him once in a game I won quickly and didn't need him in but I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze for how much work it takes to make him shine. His Rend -1 is pretty sad too.

I like Valkia. She doesn't need any support to do a fair amount of damage but it can be tough to part with the 120 points for a skirmisher like her. The same points get you 20 Bloodreavers (or Marauders) or an extra Bloodsecrator.

I'm a huge fan of the Skullgrinder personally, but he is easily out-manoeuvred or removed from the board.  The best way I've found of playing him sofar is to put him alongside a unit of Wrathmongers, your opponent won't know which unit to take out first and if you're lucky both will get into combat.  His rend is still above average for most Khorne units and it's not difficult to grant him +1 to hit and +2 attacks - so hitting and wounding on 2's and causing 3 damage per inflicted wound

11 hours ago, Captbeefheart said:

Skullgrinder:  Convince me I'm crazy.

With pleasure. The grinder is your best hitter hero for his price. He is cheap and hit like a truck. His ability is situational at best and you should use him only to kill and not particulary aim for heroes. The bonus is still very nice when it happens. The best with this hero is that he synergise very well with other +1Attack abilities provided by other heroes. However unlike other Khorne heroes, he doesn't bring anything other than killing in your army.

im hiding my skullgrinder in amongst my wrathmongers or blood warriors, try keep him within range of the +1 attack banner, hopefully 2 and give him +1 attack weapon. 

take him up 2 5 attacks, hopefully +1 to hit. so hes 5 attacks 2+2+-2rend 2 damage. boom surprise bloodthirster level damage 

Archived