Paint brand  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Citadel
    • Vallejo
    • Army painter
    • Other (please comment)

3 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

Funny thing that some are using citadel paint because of availability and not the quality of the product. 

I'm one of these, but to be clear I have no complaints about the quality of the product.  Would prefer dropper bottles, but otherwise it's perfectly good paint, and for some colors & purposes better than alternatives.  If I didn't like the paint I wouldn't use it, convenience be danged.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sception said:

I'm one of these, but to be clear I have no complaints about the quality of the product.  Would prefer dropper bottles, but otherwise it's perfectly good paint, and for some colors & purposes better than alternatives.  If I didn't like the paint I wouldn't use it, convenience be danged.

Same.

I would like to try other paints too.

11 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Ain't that the truth. I'd never touch a Citadel brush again. 

Same, i cut the bristles and use them for drybrushing or painting scenery. Worst brushes i have bought so far. 

Mostly citadel because thats what i started with. And the Paint Tutorials used these colours. I Like the paints themselfs but the Pot is absolut garbage. Designed to lose 30% of your Paint. I switch them Out with vallejo step by step 

27 minutes ago, Flippy said:

It dries up because the pot cap usually gets dirty and it quickly becomes impossible to close the pot properly. So, the caps need regular cleaning - which is just poor design. 

True. I guess I'd got used to keeping them tidy. But you're right, it is a design fault. 

10 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I've never had that problem. How do you end up losing the 30%? I ask out of curiosity. 

Yes basicaly Like Flippy Said. I have the same Problem.

And the Shades have some Secret "Open Cap and pull human Hand" device in it. SciFi Technologie. I always spill These 

I use citadel because I'm colour blind and switching to another brand would mean learning what all the colours are.  More tutorials use GW paints than any other.  GW paints are easier to get hold of than other brands where I live and apart from the white paints I've been pretty happy with them over the years. 

I mostly use Citadel just out of... inertia, I guess? I really should branch out next time I buy some paints. I've got a few Vallejo paints and they've all been good-to-great - the premium metallics especially. I own exactly one bottle of Two Thin Coats (some sort of lavendery colour I wanted for who knows what, because I literally don't own anything painted that colour now) and it definitely seems nice, so maybe I'll grab a few more.

The best tip anyone ever gave me for working with Citadel paints is that you can invert the lid by pressing on the middle, which makes it much easier to get the nasty ring of dried paint out. Still a massive pain compared to dropper bottles, but at least they don't end up drying out quite so often.

Vallejo recently just redid their model color line similarly like they’ve redone their game colors. I ordered a couple to see how they turned out but the game colors became really great with the update.

Two Thin Coats is hard to get for me unfortunately, would‘ve liked to try them.

Kimera I‘ve yesterday tried at a friend‘s place when I helped him with a terrain piece - they‘re pretty epic but totally wrong for what he wanted in the piece (muted, drab colors), they‘re like the exact opposite to that. 😂👏 If you like vibrant colors and like mixing (both with each other and thinning), they might be a really solid pick!