First time priming

Wraith01

I just prime to get the model "dusty".

That said, you can save a lot of time if you prime in the main color (like red for a thirster), buuuuuut, since you are new to it, you could spray too much and cover the details.

Id say better safe than sorry, and youd be better just "dusting" untill you get the hang of it.

i used a colour spray paint after priming, the colour came out runny an kinda ruined my models.

if this happens to you games-workshop are happy to replace the models an can as long as you prove its the can an not you not shaking it properly. 

I don't know about them replacing a mini from someone spraying.

I may be wrong.

Regarding priming though you'll want to do short controlled bursts from about a foot away.

Just "dust" it with multiple layers.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

This link will show you how to strip a mini of paint. It's hard to ruin a mini with acrylic paints. Your paint job is a different story BUT you can always start over. It's more work but cheaper than buying more, reassembling, etc.

I've used this product several times and works great!

Good luck and don't get discouraged. You will mess up in the beginning. Everyone does.

I used some Descent figures as test dummies (I'll have to paint them up now...). From a foot away the breeze was blowing all the spray away from the models,  I had to get much closer. Once I felt confident I started priming the Warhammer mini's. I ran out of Primer 3 quarters of the way through the Starter set. The ones I finished look pretty good,  the details seem more pronounced now. 

Tomorrow I can start painting. :)

11 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I don't know about them replacing a mini from someone spraying.

I may be wrong.

Regarding priming though you'll want to do short controlled bursts from about a foot away.

Just "dust" it with multiple layers.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

This link will show you how to strip a mini of paint. It's hard to ruin a mini with acrylic paints. Your paint job is a different story BUT you can always start over. It's more work but cheaper than buying more, reassembling, etc.

I've used this product several times and works great!

Good luck and don't get discouraged. You will mess up in the beginning. Everyone does.

I use easyoff spray. Works wonders

Shake for two mins before use.

Ensure the weather is right - humidity can be a killer.

Use a cardboard box or something similar to house the models and reduce wind impact.

Spray in short one second bursts. Don't hold it down. Keep rotating the model as you burst spray.

Once done, hold the can upside down and keeping spraying until no more paint comes out. That stops the nozzle clogging.

Can't add a great deal to the above.

I've re-started recently and have been worried about messing up the hobby side of things every step of the way.

I've used the GW Chaos Black and done the stick the minis on a stick trick and have always started by spraying above or to the side of the minis then run the can past them in a burst. You can dust them 4-5+ times before you get an even black coat and even then the coat is still thin enough that no detail is obscured.

On 03/10/2016 at 5:19 AM, Wraith01 said:

I used some Descent figures as test dummies (I'll have to paint them up now...). From a foot away the breeze was blowing all the spray away from the models,  I had to get much closer. Once I felt confident I started priming the Warhammer mini's. I ran out of Primer 3 quarters of the way through the Starter set. The ones I finished look pretty good,  the details seem more pronounced now. 

Tomorrow I can start painting. :)

I tend to not spray if the weather is windy, humid or wet.  What can happen is wind will dry the paint too quickly, giving you a poor finish.  Moving closer doesn't give the spray enough time to spread out so you can sometimes get pools of paint.  In fairness GW Chaos Black is much better than it used to be, it's technically an undercoat too so dries thinner than a true primer.

If I need to do some spraying, I tend to open up the garage and stand inside there, spraying out with the large door open.  It's enough to act as a wind break.  I also bring things in to dry as my house is warmer - but don't put them on a radiator else that can make the finish a bit weird too.

I took my first crack at priming with the Chaos Black spray today, setting the minis on a stick.  The only addition I would make to the above advice is ensure you don't bunch the miniatures up too much as you can overspray when trying to hit some of the awkward angles, onto areas on the mini next door.  Luckily after spraying I did a quick 180 degree flip to get off any excess paint but did have 2 that had a little run off on the base I needed to remove before it dried.

1 hour ago, Dissident said:

I took my first crack at priming with the Chaos Black spray today, setting the minis on a stick.  The only addition I would make to the above advice is ensure you don't bunch the miniatures up too much as you can overspray when trying to hit some of the awkward angles, onto areas on the mini next door.  Luckily after spraying I did a quick 180 degree flip to get off any excess paint but did have 2 that had a little run off on the base I needed to remove before it dried.

Try applying the layer on slightly more lightly rather than focused.  You shouldn't ever apply it thickly enough to be fluid, if it looks wet then stop and go back to it once it's dried.

Archived