The Balewind elephant in the room

On 10/25/2016 at 6:23 PM, chord said:

I hope they don't issue all new books for each faction.   How about I really don't want to re-purchase just for a few new pages

Funny I'm the other way because I like the fluff of the separate factions I've been holding off buying the allegiance books. The chaos book feels overpriced if i'm only interested in the Skaven parts. But I get what your saying. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should talk about the Magewrath Throne.

I think inevitably the Balewind will through comp or rules changes allow charging.  While you can be charge on Magewrath and still can't move I don't think it can be brushed off since it provides more hero abilities to be used as well as a decent anti-mage and magic missile platform.

The Magewrath Throne isn't summoned, though. You can't include it as part of your army, either — like most other terrain features, it will only be on the table if whatever terrain-generation rules you are using have put it there. That might be mutual agreement, a roll on a random terrain chart, or a tournament organiser just deciding "this is what terrain the table will have".

What makes the Balewind Vortex different is that it can be summoned — effectively making it "a spell that all wizards know" rather than "a terrain feature for which special rules exist".

17 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I'd like to put Spirit Hosts around it perhaps, and just make the raised dais a torn-out piece of earth, perhaps with the add skellington clawing out of it. That said, it doesn't really fit my list, so it probably wouldn't feature.

Sounds awesome. You should convert one anyway, just incase one of your necromancers knows he won't get shot at and fancies +1 to cast and not being charged.

Just now, hellalugosi said:

just this once, he's been a good griffon!

Alright, but just the one head!

Back on topic: Do any bigger wizards (Nagash, ect) have bases that extend far enough off the top of the Balewind Vortex that enemy units would be able to make it into combat with them without breaking the Balewind's 3" rule?

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-Balewind-Vortex-ENG.pdf

Have these rule amendments placated people at all? Can't be used by monsters and now cast on 7.

Most non-monster wizards only have one spell so attempting to cast it becomes a much bigger risk. My main worry is that we'll possibly see a return of Kroak's popularity...

46 minutes ago, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-Balewind-Vortex-ENG.pdf

Have these rule amendments placated people at all? Can't be used by monsters and now cast on 7.

Most non-monster wizards only have one spell so attempting to cast it becomes a much bigger risk. My main worry is that we'll possibly see a return of Kroak's popularity...

Kroak, do you REALLY need a floating chair to rest your floating chair on top of?

Archived