Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin RTS discussion

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I am hoping the last one will be Skaven. But i think it will be Slaves. Chaos Knights are such an iconic unit, add some Varanguard, Eternus, some chariots and beasts to that mix and it would look great in this game.

It was more or less confirmed that it will be Tzeench (maybe StD). But with Nighthaunt and Kruleboyz in the game I think the tight choice would have been Khorne, that way all the bad boys from the starter boxes of all editions would be in!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LordSolarMach said:

There's a bit in there where (I'm assuming) the guy is saying "...we can save [name of person/place/thing]..." but I heard it as "...we can save our cannabis..." and I don't want to find out what the actual quote is.

Lol the free city is called Harkanibus ( Har Kanibus ) so it does sound like Our Cannabis 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Genuinely impressed and surprised by the quality of the cutscenes and voice acting.

But the gameplay does still appear very... flat? I was definitely hoping it would be spending longer in the oven to account for the largely negative reaction to the beta's gameplay.

Do we know if there's more betas planned? I could see myself holding off on pre-order unless I get another go with their updates.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Genuinely impressed and surprised by the quality of the cutscenes and voice acting.

But the gameplay does still appear very... flat? I was definitely hoping it would be spending longer in the oven to account for the largely negative reaction to the beta's gameplay.

Do we know if there's more betas planned? I could see myself holding off on pre-order unless I get another go with their updates.

That's the main problem with Frontier games. They are very beautiful, realistic graphics, with awesome and fluid animations but... nothing else. I'm not meaning they are bad games but their mechanics and gameplay are pretty average and repetitive.

When the interviews and previews were releasing I was worried because designers were more worried about animations than gameplay and looks that RoR will be another case of the problems I already mentioned.

I hope it will be enjoyable to AoS fans at least.

1 hour ago, Throgg said:

I'm not meaning they are bad games but their mechanics and gameplay are pretty average and repetitive.

again, this is most RTS though. it is a gameplay loop. the price tag has me raising an eyebrow 100%, but tbh the gameplay/animation looks like how DOW did. they seem to want to slow combat down a little which is fine because this genre can easily get overwhelming. the mechanics had a nice interplay in the beta, and i'm sure the devs are fixing the AI and reaction issues that were the main pain point of utilizing these skills.

1 hour ago, Gitzdee said:

Beta couldnt handle the micro?

sometimes there were issues with units actually accepting commands, keybindings were weird, and ranged units would also walk into melee. that last one plagued TWW3 at launch though so apparently it's a warhammer curse.

attack move and the basic micro commands for RTS were present. special abilities were costed very strangely/expensively which i hope is balanced.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

attack move and the basic micro commands for RTS were present. special abilities were costed very strangely/expensively which i hope is balanced.

To add more points:

You couldn't even auto-step, counter-charge (charging units run faster than yours) or rotate units. You could only charge/be charged, or use skills. When your unit was tied in a fight, you could only retreat or use abilities.

18 hours ago, Beliman said:

To add more points:

You couldn't even auto-step, counter-charge (charging units run faster than yours) or rotate units. You could only charge/be charged, or use skills. When your unit was tied in a fight, you could only retreat or use abilities.

I was able to rotate my ranged units by holding down right-click, was that bugged for some people??

the fights completely tying us up felt like a nod to tabletop, for  better or worse... should be possible to counter-charge at least, if not sacrifice some health to move around

Well keep in mind it looks like they took away the  charge ability from basic units so only heroes and certain units have them in their latest build.

it be interesting if people can adjust using range units as you are suppose to set them up with their arc of fire over the traditional RTS method of attack move order.

4 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

I was able to rotate my ranged units by holding down right-click, was that bugged for some people??

I didn't mean changing direction/facing.

I was talking about rounds of combat:

First unit shoot, second unit charge (Enemy attacks your second unit) .

FIrst unit charge, second unit go back (Enemy attacks your first unit).

With shift to memo orders, that means that two units can do 3 rounds of dmg in a rapid succession for 2 rounds of enemy attacks. Same with transports+ranged units (click out, attack, embark again before enemy bullets impact in to your units, repeat).

Nothing wrong with that, it's just the usual micro that people know is a diferent system than Realm of Ruin.

Edited by Beliman

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

oh... I am not sure what you're talking about TBQH :( i don't play RTS competitively and it's been a while since I even touched AOE4. i guess i'm not familiar with the full range of terms in them

Probably it's because I'm not an english speaker and I ****** up my explanation. 

Look for any "Starcraft 2 micro" to see how to gain 1 round of damage vs enemy units:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

The map editor, scene editor and army painter are a godsend. So many games don't have one (especially some with a way bigger budget), it feels like such a breath of fresh air to see a game with this.

the army painter looks better than DOW's honestly??? feels like they matched colors to armors and stuff better.

either way, SUPER glad to see this game coming out swinging. too many naysayers, but now we've got RNG campaigns, map editor, full "livery editor", and even a SCENE EDITOR for all your diorama and RP needs.

• Like 2