Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin RTS discussion

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some first impressions after playing couple of games against AI in the beta
1) Overall game performed well, didn't see any major hiccups or problems.
2) AI of the game is really aggressive and surprisingly effective. I've only tried against easy and this thing is not easy to beat. It does lose some steam after you get upper hand though but I'll try harder AIs to see if anything changes.
3) Both factions feel unique to each other but because of the aggressiveness of ai, I didn't really have time to check all the abilities, units etc. in action. Game can get bit overwhelming at times, but I believe that once I deepdive into the faction abilities more, I can play them better.
4) Retreat and charge on same button is a real problem. There's been number of times that I've tried to charge something, get dragged in combat, and then I end up retreating instead.
5) Speaking of retreating, it should always be available and not just when I'm in combat. I think it's silly that only when I'm in combat, can the units run away fast to regen their health at the base.
6) UI in general is a bit wonky. The upgrade tree especially feels weird and it's very difficult to figure out which upgrades affect which units. I also wish that the units would show up on side or at the bottom, so I don't have to wonder where the heck did my units go and it would also make selecting them easier.

Nevertheless, it seems fun game but I do wish they had given maybe one or two more maps (especially multiplayer map) on this beta. Playing this one map with same factions (and with no army painter yet available) can get kinda boring really fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, angrycontra said:

2) AI of the game is really aggressive and surprisingly effective. I've only tried against easy and this thing is not easy to beat. It does lose some steam after you get upper hand though but I'll try harder AIs to see if anything changes.

Easy mode is not well tunned. Frontier recomends to play vs people or more dificult AIs until they fix the problem.

• Like 1

5 games now, and some things to take in mind:

• There are no tooltips, most of the Bastions (the towers that you build) do diferent things but for whatever reason, you need to close the Bastion window and go to the reference tab to know what they do.
  • Bastions gives you passive buffs, but upgrading them gives you another buff. Eg: healing towers lvl 2 gives you a newslot to create units.
  • The controls are a bit weird. It seems that it's a Consol game ported to PCs. Eg: If you have a group, and want to click in one unit and control only that unit,, you need to unlock the group and target again that unit.
  • The game needs a tutorial ASAP. There are a lot of things that you need to know but it's not intuitive enough for new players.  E.g: More time spend on a bastion gives you more resources or more time that the enemy needs to capture your objective (yellow area expanding).
  • AoE magic is broken.  It's crazy to see blobs of units disappear with one flame.
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Beliman said:

5 games now, and some things to take in mind:

• There are no tooltips, most of the Bastions (the towers that you build) do diferent things but for whatever reason, you need to close the Bastion window and go to the reference tab to know what they do.
  • Bastions gives you passive buffs, but upgrading them gives you another buff. Eg: healing towers lvl 2 gives you a newslot to create units.
  • The controls are a bit weird. It seems that it's a Consol game ported to PCs. Eg: If you have a group, and want to click in one unit and control only that unit,, you need to unlock the group and target again that unit.
  • The game needs a tutorial ASAP. There are a lot of things that you need to know but it's not intuitive enough for new players.  E.g: More time spend on a bastion gives you more resources or more time that the enemy needs to capture your objective (yellow area expanding).
  • AoE magic is broken.  It's crazy to see blobs of units disappear with one flame.

you reported this all as feedback right? these are all things the devs should be able to correct

• Like 1

6 hours ago, angrycontra said:

Here's some first impressions after playing couple of games against AI in the beta
1) Overall game performed well, didn't see any major hiccups or problems.
3) Both factions feel unique to each other but because of the aggressiveness of ai, I didn't really have time to check all the abilities, units etc. in action. Game can get bit overwhelming at times, but I believe that once I deepdive into the faction abilities more, I can play them better.
4) Retreat and charge on same button is a real problem. There's been number of times that I've tried to charge something, get dragged in combat, and then I end up retreating instead.
5) Speaking of retreating, it should always be available and not just when I'm in combat. I think it's silly that only when I'm in combat, can the units run away fast to regen their health at the base.
6) UI in general is a bit wonky. The upgrade tree especially feels weird and it's very difficult to figure out which upgrades affect which units. I also wish that the units would show up on side or at the bottom, so I don't have to wonder where the heck did my units go and it would also make selecting them easier.

Nevertheless, it seems fun game but I do wish they had given maybe one or two more maps (especially multiplayer map) on this beta. Playing this one map with same factions (and with no army painter yet available) can get kinda boring really fast.

They acknowledge the AI is a bit overtune on easy right now

A few more minor problems and some things that are weird (at least to me):

• Retreating a group of people is not easy as it sounds. You need to click each unit in the same group and Q two times and then repeat for each other unit in the same group.
  • Microplay doesn't exist. You can't move around your units when you are engaged, you are chainged to retreat. It's really unintuitive, if you want to flank the enemy and attack their ranged units, and for whatever reason someone enters your units melee range, you are done,  any order ends and you can only fight or retreat.
  • Menu buttons are small and that's fine for a clean UI, but when you click them, they are 1/3 of the screen for just a few options. Feels like a mobile menu. 
  • Everything seems linked to a keyword, you can't do a lot by clicking. You want to play vs IA? Click the second slot and press G. I understand that's for consol games, but not sure if it's the best way to approach keyword+mouse users.
  • Can't select units by clicking their own icons. You need to manually click any of their models ... if for whatever reason there are two units (shield+sword) and you want to retreat the sword, you need to drag+click and then click the sword and double Q or just click a model of the sword and double Q, but  if there are more unitd around... good luck!
  • There are a lot of "secondary effects" on abilities. Invisible boltboyz can't enter the "aware status" (shoot on sight) no matter what, you need to manually attack or cancel the ability.
  • No buff-icons. To see if something is going on, you need to zoom in and see if the shields are shining or the AoE is still active. Same with debuffs.
  • Abilities, tech-tree, all the basic stuff (healing fountains), Bastions, etc... everything cost Realmstone. Comebacks are really dificult. An early mistake becomes a big snowball.
  • Btw, Kruleboyz are SO slow compared to SCE. Not sure how but playing with friends, I end with concealed boltboyz (tier 1 units) running around because everything else is sloooooooooooow....

Already send to Frontier, but I just want to put it here for people that already has the same problems as me.

Edited by Beliman
Grammar
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 11:16 AM, Beliman said:

Microplay doesn't exist. You can't move around your units when you are engaged, you are chainged to retreat. It's really unintuitive, if you want to flank the enemy and attack their ranged units, and for whatever reason someone enters your units melee range, you are done,  any order ends and you can only fight or retreat.

this feels translated directly from GW tabletop rules tbqh. generally retreating your units in melee is a death sentence in most RTS so at least here our dudes seem to start to fight back immediately? it is def an issue wrapped into the larger problem of unit responsiveness tho. you have to right click on an enemy model to attack/shoot it. can't use the unit icon like other games (such as total wars) allow.

23 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

this feels translated directly from GW tabletop rules tbqh. generally retreating your units in melee is a death sentence in most RTS so at least here our dudes seem to start to fight back immediately?

I've got a completely diferent experience with other RTS games.

Most of the games let you maneuver your units, click outside of the enemy melee range and gain some free frames to put space inbetween their attacks (Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 fights are entirely based around this micromanagement).

Other RTS like Age of Empires have a bit less micro, but still, they let you chose when to retreat and attack again if you want. Total War games let you engage with more than one unit and use that second one to hold the enemy and retreat the first one to charge or maneuver around the battlefield.

Realm of Ruins seems to be all or nothing. Win/Lose or retreat. And you can't interact with this mechanic because we don't have any units to abuse flanking or rear attacks, no cavalry appart from 2 SCE units and the killaboss on dog. Btw, you can't stop any retreat, you units will run as fast as they can to your HQ, no matter what.

IMO, a weird decision.

Edit:To anyone interested, there is a feedback web here:
https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=NaOCFXLbGkO9jG7OTCnmIj3kkxmthjBPoAQDP0xsihdURFlZVEowM1pWRU5EU0oyU1lSUUs4VEdEVC4u

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I have a question for those that already played this a lot. Is this game easy to play and hard to master? Or the other way around? 

Ignoring some gameplay and balance problems, this games seems to be easy to play and not as hard to master as other RTS.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beliman said:

Most of the games let you maneuver your units, click outside of the enemy melee range and gain some free frames to put space between enemy attacks (Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 fights are entirely based around this micromanagement).

Other RTS like Age of Empires have a bit less micromanagement, but still, they let you chose when to retreat and then attack again. Total War games let you engage with more than one unit and use that second one to hold the enemy and retreat the first one to charge or maneuver around the battlefield.

I forgot the Blizz RTS have that micro ability... they were always too focused on ranked games for me. AOE feels like the enemy can easily catch up to your units, or at least the Definitive Edition of 2 it's hard to escape without sacrificing a rearguard.

I do agree RoR has an issue with units getting stuck together, which is compounded by Retreat being the same button as Charge AND also completely contextual

On 7/11/2023 at 10:13 AM, CommissarRotke said:

I forgot the Blizz RTS have that micro ability... they were always too focused on ranked games for me. AOE feels like the enemy can easily catch up to your units, or at least the Definitive Edition of 2 it's hard to escape without sacrificing a rearguard.

I do agree RoR has an issue with units getting stuck together, which is compounded by Retreat being the same button as Charge AND also completely contextual

How has the reception to the beta over on the RoR discord?

9 hours ago, xking said:

How has the reception to the beta over on the RoR discord?

I'm really not a fan of everything moving to discord so I haven't joined (yet). If it's the best place to give feedback... I guess I will at some point. I imagine they're dealing with trolls, though a lot of the legit feedback I've seen posted elsewhere are what the devs asked for.