Possible new destruction factions for autumn

Garrac

So, GW has revealed on the most recent roadmap that this year there'll be two new battletomes.

Now, first understand this: I think it's Gitz + Ogors, and both of them need updates and rerange releases, very badly in fact. BUT one of the funny things of AoS is that every year they present a totally new faction. And, let's be honest, da boyz are really short on that matter! With only 4 (¿canon?) factions they could use moar boyz. So, I thught it could be funny to speculate about what possible new armies can come this 2022. Here my bets:

-Gitmob grots. I mean, da grots could really use an independent faction. If it gets miniatures as cool as the kruelboyz grots, I'm in

-Troggoths. Taking them out of the GG book to make a whole independent battletome, or a sub-faction battletome. Maybe with new spetial characters?

-Something Kragnos related. 

-Fimirs? I know the FW miniatures are out of stock, but, maybe they could do some new plastic kits?

I don't know if current lore makes more hints, but I think a new destruction faction could offer some fun possibilities.

First renew da gitz. Then the fun comes.

I'd say Snotlings or Halflings (like Dark Sun halflings), but that's just wishlisting.

I would also love to see Humans, Elves and Dwarves delving into destruction. Like Cities, but a lot wilder. Or dinosaurs (with proper feathers) that want to snap back at civilisation. Or maybe elemental spirits.

• Like 2

• Subscriber

I wonder if they could do a separate Hobgrot faction? Couple of different infantry units, wolf riders, maybe some rocket artillery made by their big hat trader buddies. Chuck in a monster or two to fill it out.

They could then allow them to ally in to any future Chaos Dwarf faction, as well as allying to other greenskins. 

• Like 1

Gitmob redone from the ground up could be fun. 

Regular greenskins are going to be needed at some point. 

Hobgrots could be an option.

If I were have to build something from scratch I would create a bestial race of Druids that focus on destructive nature magic and summon elementals to fight for them.

• Like 1

@bonzai @Garrac

• Gitmob won't be, to much overlap with both Gloomspite and Kruelboys.
  • Generic greenskins wont because they are generic and most of what they would do is covered by current warclans factions.
  • Hobgrots will probably be in a new chaos dwarf faction.
  • Fimir are gone, their historic lore makes them way to problematic in the current political/social climate.
  • Potentially something Kragnos related, he previously had a racial keyword which was subsequently removed. That said he's supposed to be "the last of his kind".

I agree it's probably Ogres and Gitz. We might see an addition or two to the range though.

• Like 1

Um, throwing ideas. If the kruelboyz are supposed to be orruks that follow Mork... what about an army of grots that follow Gork? Like, some grots that are more brutal and less cunning. That would be interesting I think

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Um, throwing ideas. If the kruelboyz are supposed to be orruks that follow Mork... what about an army of grots that follow Gork? Like, some grots that are more brutal and less cunning. That would be interesting I think

Maybe a grot faction who follows Kragnos. That could be interesting.

Yeah my bet is it’s Ogors(and hopefully Beastclaws bringing in new fluffier Everwinter rules like the new Destruction Soulbound has with the Everwinter Blessings and how they follow even individual Ogors) but also would be cool and fitting to see Sons of Behemat since one new hero there is a BIG deal. ;)

as for new race possibility my hopes are:

Silent People that scurried to Kragnos for new homes and protection.(tho I’m thinking Sylvaneth might get them as a sub-faction)

Grotbag Scuttler sky pirates for grot kharadrons that treat the Gloomspites as Fyreslayers.(profitable allies but don’t trust them)

the Sanskrit empire that’s appeared back in the Hamilcar books as a reptilian people empire(noted for their long knuckle claws) along the Sea of Bones that’s expanding under Destruction’s rise.

or possibly non-Slaves to Darkness animal people that want nothing to do with Chaos after it turned their homes into hellscapes. StD are getting a full force of corrupted Ogroids and a Centauroid so some neutral versions that stay with Gorkamorka would be nice along with the animal people the Krondspine elemental is morphing mortals into and maybe even other races like the Aetar eagle people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Aetar eagle people.

This sounds interesting!  Is that a thing?

4 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

the Sanskrit empire that’s appeared back in the Hamilcar books as a reptilian people empire(noted for their long knuckle claws) along the Sea of Bones that’s expanding under Destruction’s rise.

As does this!  An army of Wolverines?  Yes please!

So if it wasn't Ogors and Gits (which it will be) then I would love to see the Grot Sky Pirates.  They've been mentioned quite frequently in the fluff and the sky's the limit (GEDDIT) for the minis and theme.  Would be so cool.

The other one would be Drogrukh (Kragnos's kin), he still has the keyword on his warscroll but it currently does nothing.  In the fluff they've died out but if they wanted to do the army they could easily shoe-horn them back in with some superficial justification, like they did with Morathi and dragons. 

But yeah.  It'll be Ogors and Gits.  I just hope they're good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yep! Also from the Hamilcar books as their princess aided him and his forces.

https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Aetar

They’re neutral and even-minded enough of other races and even built a Stormvault at Sigmar’s request but these gigantic armored celestial eagles don’t care for the God-king and don’t accept his rule over their mountain-top kingdoms so could go Destruction if pushed.(as noted they mostly helped the Order forces to get revenge on the Skaven that killed their queen)

If you ever have a Ghur Soulbound campaign someone also homebrewed some sheets for them:

• Like 1

Crackpot destruction army idea: A civilization of elementals or elementally infused creatures. Could be descendants of godbeasts, a culture of existing races infused with the power of the realms through realmstone or any combination therein. You could even make the members of this faction that are associated with each realm different, Azyrians of this faction could be oni inspired, a more feral or bestial mirror of stormcast with azyrite horns, claws and other protrusions. Shyishians would exists in a half corporeal state between living and dead, their bodies infused with grave sand sapping the life from things around them. Ghur would have shapeshifters, tattoos or ingesting beast amber allowing them to become or take on characteristics of long extinct beasts. Hyshians would be glowing, angel-like or abstract in appearance, their purer use of aetherquartz instilling a an iron will and sense of purpose without the emotional numbing, or in the inverse, becoming emotionless and sociopathic slaves to logic.

Alternatively they could be creatures born of realmstone, being what an incarnate wishes it could be, stable creatures of purer realm magic.

A key point regardless of either of these would be to tie each realms subspecies to a godbeast of that realm. Giving each not only the opportunity for a big centrepiece but also fill the role of a revered elder that taught their people how to take on the realms power/created them. Basically the core concept for the army is a godbeast revering civilization who believe in the natural order of the realms. Orderly in a sense but viewing the abuses of the realms power by other factions as unnatural and blasphemous in a sense making them more destruction aligned. They'd probably get along with factions like sylvaneth and despise stormcast and lumineth who abuse or alter the realms magic. And obviously despise chaos for it's corruption.

But that's just my rambling headcannon for a "Realmborn" faction.

• LOVE IT! 2

5 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

As does this!  An army of Wolverines?  Yes please!

So if it wasn't Ogors and Gits (which it will be) then I would love to see the Grot Sky Pirates.  They've been mentioned quite frequently in the fluff and the sky's the limit (GEDDIT) for the minis and theme.  Would be so cool.

The other one would be Drogrukh (Kragnos's kin), he still has the keyword on his warscroll but it currently does nothing.  In the fluff they've died out but if they wanted to do the army they could easily shoe-horn them back in with some superficial justification, like they did with Morathi and dragons. 

But yeah.  It'll be Ogors and Gits.  I just hope they're good.

Agree with this assessment. Most likely if they added a new army it would be tied to Kragnos in a heavy way, as it's his season, much like NH and OBR in the Nagash one. The Drogrukh or a variation of would make the most sense for a new army this edition.

• Like 1