What changes/new mechanics would you add if you were in charge of making AOS?

commisarh

Points listed per model as well as per unit. You can add or drop models as long as the unit is within a certain range, with reinforcement points needed if it is over a certain amount. If I write a list and it's 2005 points let me remove one 10 point model, or add a guy if my list is a little short. This would make list writing so much more flexible again.

Everything in the game gets 2" reach.

A form of limited alternating actions. You get 3 activation points a turn and things cost between 1-3 points to activate. So you can either use one big monster or 3 basic units, etc. Units get a cool down token and can't be activated again for a certain length of time. I go you go has always been the worst part of WH. The game would be more engaging with pretty much anything else and lead to fewer blow outs. Way too many games are decided by mid turn 2.

No more grand alliances. You can ally in whatever the heck you want with 25% of your points. The mortal realms are a vast enough setting to let people get creative with the lore of their army. Come up with a cool story and have fun. 25% of a Chaos list are Stormcast descending into corruption? Gloomspite from Shyish who have formed an uneasy alliance with Death? Sounds cool to me. I'd love to see what people come up with.

No firing ranged weapons when you are engaged in melee with an enemy unit.

Either ban firing ranged weapons at enemies engaged in melee with a friendly unit. Or allow it but with a random chance of wounding your friends.

Agree with overhauling terrain and line of sight rules.

More artillery units. Technology should catch up with magic.

And rules for wandering monsters.

Edited by EntMan

What do people think about the idea of giving Heroes with fewer than 10 wounds a rule so they "treat mortal wounds as normal wounds"?  I've gotta' say that one of the biggest negative play experiences for me is having my measly little heroes sniped away by mortal wounds.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Bonus:

1.) Mo' Magic. Bring back Realm spells.  Realm command traits would be cool since armies often have CP to spare, but not Realm artefacts which were incredibly polarizing.  If some Endless Spells could get a buff but be realm-specific as well that would be pretty sweet; a lot of them seem to struggle in 3.0.

2.) Extra artefact for 50 pts!  Why not?

Edited by Dingding123

Small foot heroes can be added to a unit on set-up. The unit and leader fight at same time, unit acts as ablative wounds, gets benefit of the bravery, command abilities are measured from leader model.

Ranged weapons get less powerful at longer ranges. So it becomes a trade off, keep the unit out of charge range but do less damage. Maybe even the other way where they get more powerful at close (out of melee) range.

Consistent rules writing, it’s not hard! Plenty of other games from companies with fewer resources manage to avoid these frustrating ambiguities or outright mistakes.

Digital download of al the rules together with updates added in. Trying to teach this game is a mess, here’s the core rules, you’ll also need this battle pack from a different book, make sure you have the latest warscrolls, no not the one in the box you just bought, got your battle tome? Ok those sexy battalions can’t be used, did you get the latest faq? How about the latest designer commentary? Got the latest points? What do you mean you used the points in the gh/battle time, they are out of date you need this downloadable document, do you have white dwarf. 479? It has two pages of rules that slightly tweak your army but give you one great ability. Honestly, take up would be al lot better if this was streamlined eg one page rules. If I have the physical tome then I should have access online. 

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 3

I would try to make heroes with 9 or fewer wounds a bit more relevant. Give people enough reasons to build their own smash-captain, duelist, buff-bot or whatever.
Something like:
LookOutSIr.jpg.a633c6316bceefd1f3d06338322e0476.jpg
Note: All units that have a bodyguard ability can be changed to a 2+/reroll bodyguard.

Maybe a new generic Command Ability for heroes with 9 or less wounds to challenge other Heroes with Look Out Sir! could work too (just to kill that pesky buff-bots).
And let Heroes buy their own weapons and armors! More customization please!

On 1/9/2022 at 1:55 AM, Nacnudllah said:

What do people think about the idea of giving Heroes with fewer than 10 wounds a rule so they "treat mortal wounds as normal wounds"?  I've gotta' say that one of the biggest negative play experiences for me is having my measly little heroes sniped away by mortal wounds.

Definitely this. It's a little disheartening to have my slow Khorne mortal heroes (allegedly the most blood thirsty battle hungry warriors of the Mortal Realms) take a couple of steps and die from a ranged attack or magic spell with 5 or 6 damage/mortal wounds.

• Like 3