Managing the balewind vortex.

Arkiham

I'll give you some credit for the Banshees, but bravery based so limited against Duardin. Also entirely dependent on your opponent not walking them off.

I've acknowledged the Harbingers and the Mourngul as good options. 

All the other options are two thirds of the time going to dump units 9 inches away and stranded, making them an easy target. This doesn't help when the classic way to beat Nagash is to shred the regular troops and ignore him.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think that putting your centerpiece model on a balewind isn't that strong. For a branchwych or a damsel, beeing immune and protected from melee combat is fine. But having alarielle or nagash jsut there to cast spells? Nasgash' ranged attack is WEAKER than the treelord ancients ranged attack (and with 12" it wont do anything if he wants to stay behind, save on his balewind vortex). Thecomplete melee profile is lost when a unit is on the vortex!

Sure, summoning is great from that affar, but sylvaneth can do basically the same with wyldwood drops. As stated, Stormcasts also can. Clan skyre can tunnel even to guarnateed charge range. Some dwarfs (miners I think) can also tunnel around the battlefield. Yeah, you have the flexibility, but once in a while the summoning fails (okay not with nagash), but sometimes you can't get the charge of in the first turn and you serves your oponnent some summoned units without the support of the rest of your army. If this happens vs. Khorne Bloodbound, those Bloodreavers will charge you and rip your zombies or whatever else apart!

For the Morghasts I think they are great for summoning, since you don't have to specify in your list what you are fielding. Thats what I plan doing with mine, since I magnetised them.

The only rule I would wish would be implemented is that the sorcerer on the vortex doesnt count for objective taking.

Amended scroll - clearer wording. Monsters can no longer use it. Hopefully this legitimises the Balewind for matched play generally.

Underlined ones no longer can do it.

• Daemonsmith (debuff)
  • Drazhoath (borderline - for one turn only)
  • Dark Elf Sorceress (debuff)
  • Grey Wizard (debuff)
  • Skink Starseer (debuff)
  • Luminark (Burning Gaze - but limits its shooting attack significantly)
  • Teclis 
  • Kroak
  • Branchwraith (Reaping Bomb - Silverwood Circlet)
  • Alarielle (borderline - for one turn only)
  • Be'Lakor (debuff)
  • New Gaunt Summoner (bye bye blocks of chaff)
  • Arch Warlock (Chain Lightning)
  • Lord of Change (Infernal Gateway -  a less reliable Thundertusk)
  • Count Mannfred (Wind of Death)
  • Moonclan Grot Shaman (Curse of Da Bad Moon)

5 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

Old warscrolls are legal if there is no longer an updated one which replaces it, which in this case there is.

I believe if you reread the FAQ that you will find you are mistaken. GW recommends using the latest version but it's up to the players to decide. 

6 minutes ago, rokapoke said:

I believe if you reread the FAQ that you will find you are mistaken. GW recommends using the latest version but it's up to the players to decide. 

Gw recommends. pretty much means the standard, is why most tournaments do Base to Base. 

The new balewind updates, make it a legitimate way to protect your squishy casters.

I really like that its mostly little mages who will have a tough time making this an easy cast, so the possiblity of failing it and wasting the wizards turn and making him still vulnerable is there. 

I wonder though how thier piece interacts with the pieaces of power scenario. Can you claim the thing and then on your next turn ride the winds to keep your caster safer. 

5 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

The new balewind updates, make it a legitimate way to protect your squishy casters.

I really like that its mostly little mages who will have a tough time making this an easy cast, so the possiblity of failing it and wasting the wizards turn and making him still vulnerable is there. 

I wonder though how thier piece interacts with the pieaces of power scenario. Can you claim the thing and then on your next turn ride the winds to keep your caster safer. 

Essentially, yep. Pretty tricky for your opponent if you get a double turn and do this, but there are Three Places of Power, so it's not like they can't just focus on the other two. ;) 

I think there are gonna be a few matchups with limited non melee damage output (Bloodbound, Ironjawz) who are gonna struggle to counter the Balewind Vortex (not that it's really gonna matter with the one 140 point wizard ontop of it), but it's new warscroll looks like it only adds to the depth of games of AoS, giving a single non-monster wizard a little more ranged punch in the early turns of the game (albeit less reliably casting on a 7), and providing all kinds of dynamic new movement blocking shenanigans. I've got Balthasar Gelt in a jar of nail polish remover as I type this, getting ready for a new paintjob to go with the Balewind I plan on picking up on saturday. :D 

Archived