Swifthawk agents as full list?

pastorpaint

I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with running a full agent list?

Something like:

Leaders:

Skywarden 160

Alith Anar, The Shadow King 120

Battleline:

Shadow Warriors 200

Shadow Warriors 200

Shadow Warriors 200

Skycutter 120

Total: 1000 points

Thoughts? Way too light hitting? 

Fluff wise: I'm working on a High Elf remnant army. Think archers, spears, and seaguard turned pirate. 

And, a noob question, if I were to add something like a cannon. would that mean that it losses the Swifthawk allegence?

Unfortunately Alith Anar doesn't have the Swifthawk Agents keyword so breaks your allegiance to that sub-faction. (So to answer your question, yes, a cannon would break your allegiance)

I think it's sadly the problem with a lot of the Aelven sub-factions. They're a unit or two short of being a good faction to collect. If the Swifthawk Agents had the Lothern Sea Guard, Sea Helm on Foot and some kind of Shadow Warden (Alith Anar subsistute) they'd probably be an interesting enough faction to collect from the start.

Don't forget you can take chariots as part of the list as well, could help fill it out a bit.

You're just a bit limited with characters, but with the models included I think it is one they will flesh out in the longterm.

id give it a go if it's inspiring interesting conversions, but I wouldn't expect it to be the most competitive force.

23 minutes ago, pastorpaint said:

Thanks guys.

Good point about the Shadow King. I was kinda hoping that not having the key word for an old model wasn't enough to bust the synergy. Seems like it is. And, seems a little lame. He is the Shadow King, after all.

Thanks again!

It's down to your friends or gaming club. I'd allow it, but my main opponents are close friends so we're generally quite  relaxed with rules 

Hadn't really considered chariots.

I might try the following:

Skywarden 

Shadow Warriors 

Shadow Warriors

Shadow Warriors

Skycutter

Chariot

Total: 960 points.

Seems like a much weaker list. It does give me three strong infantry units, which would be supported by some great mobility.  Keeps the Swifthawk allegiance.

Thoughts?

I have been thinking about a SA list too, I was thinking: 

Skywarden, trident - 160 (General)

Skywarden, penant - 160 

Shadow Warriors x 10 - 200 (Battleline)

Skycutter, bolt thrower - 120

Skycutter, trio - 120

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10 September 2016 at 0:19 AM, pastorpaint said:

Hadn't really considered chariots.

I might try the following:

Skywarden 

Shadow Warriors 

Shadow Warriors

Shadow Warriors

Skycutter

Chariot

Total: 960 points.

Seems like a much weaker list. It does give me three strong infantry units, which would be supported by some great mobility.  Keeps the Swifthawk allegiance.

Thoughts?

Sorry for the late reply! I think it's a solid list! While not as sleek as the skycutter models, the chariots should give the shadow warriors some additional support if they end up stuck in combat

On 10 September 2016 at 0:24 AM, Coshie said:

I have been thinking about a SA list too, I was thinking: 

Skywarden, trident - 160 (General)

Skywarden, penant - 160 

Skycutter, bolt thrower - 120

Skycutter, trio - 120

Thoughts?

This would be a great 'armies on parade' project! 

Re skycutter:

I was thinking of painting up my old Island of Blood aelfs.  Looks like it will be 2 factions, swordmasters and archmage into the eldritch council, while the sea guard, reavers and griffon into a legacy highborn list.   Looking at adding a loremaster for eldritch plus a dragon which I already have on hand.  As for the highborn list, I would like to add the Sea Helm on foot, as far as I can see this is only available as part of the skycutter box, correct?  

Works out at pretty much 1k each or 2k total.  And would then have a skycutter spare.

Edit: Didn't mention I have Island of Blood contents x2

Okay so what about this for 2000pts:

1.  Shadow Warriors x 10 = 200pts - Battleline

2.  Shadow Warriors x 10 = 200pts - Battleline

3.  Shadow Warriors x 10 = 200pts - Battleline

4.  Shadow Warriors x 10 = 200pts - Battleline

5.  Skywarden - Trident = 160pts - General

6.  Skycutter - Bolt Thrower = 120pts

7.  Skycutter - Trio = 120pts

8.  Skywarden - Penant = 160pts - General

9.  Skycutter - Bolt Thrower = 120pts

10.  Skycutter - Trio = 120pts

11.  Skywarden - Penant = 160pts - General

12.  Skycutter - Bolt Thrower = 120pts

13.  Skycutter - Trio = 120pts

You could send your general and his entourage down the center.  Then use the Penant guys to create a +1 to wound bubble on both sides of the table.  Use the Shadow Warriors to hold objectives (hopefully in cover) whilst everything else flies around as a distraction.  

Only down sides are no magic or mortal wounds and minimal rend...

8 minutes ago, Coshie said:

Reckless gives you a nice bubble for rerolling charges.  Inspiring might be useful too!?  But that is just doubling its range?

Phoenix Stone or Obstinate Blade might work too?

Reckless lets you reroll charges and runs, and seeing as how skycutters can run 2D6, and run run and charge with the Skywarden's command ability it's a must take (that and all the other Order command traits are bunk). -1 rend isn't going to make an awful lot of difference unfortunately, and you are going to want to keep you general alive for his command ability and Swifthawk Pennant, so I'd go for the Pheonix stone. 8 wounds is squishy.

The trident really isn't worth taking over a second Swifthawk Pennant, they stack, do your guys will be wounding on 2s if they're near both skywardens (keep them in reserve and exploit them as buff bubbles for the rest of the list).

I have nothing but respect for you for you if you take this list, but you're an absolute madman for doing so, don't expect to win any games, and please keep us updated on your painting and gaming progress with it. :)

Swifthawk agents are a massive shame, everything in the list is overpointed by 20-40 points imo and they really could have done with a formation. :(

Hmm. Thanks guys. I was thinking more about 1000 points. Hadn't really scaled it up. I was thinking it wouldn't work with more points, but it might be even nastier in bigger games. It's the speed and maneuverability that really makes the list for me, but hitting on 1s and 2s with all that firepower is nasty. 

I think we got it backwards, the Skywarden's flag gives you +1 to wound not hit. Even so, if you get all your Shadow Warriors in cover they can be rerolling all failed hits, hitting on 3s and wounding on 2s with a pair of wardens...

At 1000pts you could take 2 wardens 2cutters and 20 shadow warriors for 960pts!?

On 9/8/2016 at 0:01 PM, Thundercake said:

You could run it as legacy High Elves, the sea helm captain on a skycutter is much better than a skywarden. I dont think legacy high elves have points though (I don't have the handbook). 

All the legacy units have points listed in the General's Handbook.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived