Arming the Brutes

Enrgie

Always go with the choppas if you're playing base to base. With such a large base size the extra 1" range doesn't actually help much. 

If you're playing bases don't matter, and especially if you're prepared to pile models on top of other model's bases, go with the spears in larger units (more than around 6). You'll be able to appreciate the extra range then. With smaller units it's usually possible to pile them all in anyway. 

As for the boss, I like the claw and brute smasha if you have a way of increasing your attacks or to hit chance. Nearby warchanters and megabosses are great for this. Otherwise it can be easy to fluff with and might be better to go with the boss choppa. 

I think he got it backwards :) 

I think most will be playing base to base, and Brutes have huge bases. If taking a unit of 5, I think that Choppas and Gore-Choppa is great. The Boss has to be armed with the Klaw and Smasha, so that works out.

If taking 10, the Choppas still may work but because of the base size you probably won't get them all into the fight. This is where you start thinking about Jagged-Hackaz for the extra reach.

*Mal posted just as I did :)

Hey,

I think the two ways to field Brutes are;

• Units of 5 - Choppas, 1 Gore-choppa, Klaw & Smasha

Or;

• Units of 10 - Jagged-hackas, 2 Gore-choppas, Klaw & Smasha

Currently I run 1x10 (main unit, gets the buffs) and 2x 5 in my 2,000 point list. The reason for the Jagged-hackas on the 10 is to maximise attacks as they can fight across one another if base to base with the enemy.

I am considering getting two more boxes and going for a second unit of 10, though I think it would lose effectiveness due to not being able to put down two Inspiring Presence's. You'd also need a second Warchanter, but this isn't a bad idea full stop IMO.

Don't under estimate the units of 5 though. Very nice little units, just be wary of battleshock.

With Gore-gruntas, I think Choppas are almost always better, which is a shame as the Jagged-hackas look so good.

All of the above assumes playing base to base.

Chris

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:02 AM, Enrgie said:

Thanks Chris! I think I'll build towards a 10 orc unit with hackas. With the pigs I'll do the choppas. I'll probably swap the parts around to increase variability!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Yeh you will get some joy mixing the parts from the kits. It's quite easy to get variety amongst your models with little effort. I have 20 painted Brutes now and the are all individual. There are a couple more involved conversions, but for the most part its just simple kit bashing.

16 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

A good question here is whether five or ten is the ideal size for a regiment? I think five but I could be convinced otherwise.

As per my post above, I think there is merit in both.

With multiple small units (MSU) you increase the number of Klaw & Smasha attacks, which is pretty nice. You also have more flexibility and redundancy as the units have a much smaller footprint and can be more throwaway.

However it's harder to spread buffs across a larger number of models as you need more Warchanters (not a bad thing) or Shamans (a bad thing!), likewise you get less bang for your buck on Inspiring Presence (though the flip side is Waaagh is more reliable). With larger units you mitigate a number of these issues and are able to easily pile buffs on a single "Death Star" unit for maximum impact.

I do really like the idea of a full MSU Ironjawz army, but worry it would melt under battleshock against a clever opponent. As stated my preference is 1 unit of 10 and 2 units of 5. Gives you a bit of both worlds and is aesthetically appealing.

I want to try 2x 10's though at some point. Double Megaboss, double Warchanter. Could be pretty tasty I reckon.

Something I've been mulling over as of late is mixed units. What I mean is taking a unit of 10 Brutes, and giving them 2 Gore-Choppas, Boss, 3 Choppas and the rest Gore-Hackaz. That way you can get the extra attacks still, you keep the Boss and Choppas up front and the Gore-Choppas and Hackaz to the rear with their reach.

22 minutes ago, Dez said:

Something I've been mulling over as of late is mixed units. What I mean is taking a unit of 10 Brutes, and giving them 2 Gore-Choppas, Boss, 3 Choppas and the rest Gore-Hackaz. That way you can get the extra attacks still, you keep the Boss and Choppas up front and the Gore-Choppas and Hackaz to the rear with their reach.

Nice idea and would be the optimal way to go. Unfortunately you cannot mix equipment.

Ardboyz have special wording on their scroll that allows the mixed approach. There are very few units in the game like this; Brutes aren't one of them I'm afraid.

20 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Nice idea and would be the optimal way to go. Unfortunately you cannot mix equipment.

Ardboyz have special wording on their scroll that allows the mixed approach. There are very few units in the game like this; Brutes aren't one of them I'm afraid.

I think this a bit silly that you can with some and can't with others. Meh.

52 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

I think this a bit silly that you can with some and can't with others. Meh.

There is plenty sillier out there. At least this is nice and clear on the scrolls...

39 minutes ago, Dez said:

Hehe, weird I see it now. 

large.57d176b669635_ScreenShot2016-09-08at10_31_41AM.pnglarge.57d176b55f52e_ScreenShot2016-09-08at10_32_58AM.png

...as nicely demonstrated by @Dez; you got it! Glad you found it, I was gonna do the screen grabs myself later so cheers :) 

Archived