Bonersplitterz in 3rd Edition

Jimmy Bob Jones

While the answers are missing from this thread, I add some feedback on an Icebone list that I tested last night against Nighthaunt:

4x Savage boss (one of which is Great Hunter)
2x Wurrgog
2x4 Stabbas
3x2 Stabbas
2x5 Boarboys
10x Savages
Krodspyne

It is not an immediate list to run, but it certainly has its strong points, including the ability to move after the deploy to use both an aggressive tactic, and put pressure on the objectives. Icebone is the average good alliance against everyone, while Drakkfoot is specific towards some mathcup, but despite this I took home the victory thanks to the boarboys screens and the domination over the objectives (mission with 6 objectives).

ps: the Incarnate alone is able to negate Nighthaunt's primary "Fright or Flight".

pps: 4 bosses who beat all of them in a row, followed by 4 big stabbas bounty hunters are quite incisive in the melee (especially if you can also put Krodspyne close to it and do the All Out Offence bubble).

Edited by Holy_Diver

6 hours ago, Holy_Diver said:

4x Savage boss (one of which is Great Hunter)
2x Wurrgog
2x4 Stabbas
3x2 Stabbas
2x5 Boarboys
10x Savages
Krodspyne

Is the krondspine better than the rogue idol? Even with exploding hits and wounds from icebone, And without any endless spells to feed it. 

Edited by Smash

Just now, Smash said:

Is the krondspine better than the rogue idol. Even with exploding hits and wounds from icebone? And without any endless spells to feed it. 

With no doubt. Why? Let's analyse:

- Flying move 12"
- Re-roll run AND charges wholly within 10"
- No retreat to all units wholly within 10"
- +1 cast AND dispel/unbind at bigger range (6" Idol vs 10" Krondy)
- -1 to cast for enemy wizard wholly within 10"
- All out offence pin point (very useful with MSU lists)
- Unable to die before battleshock phase

So Krondy maybe hit less hard than Idol, but is a very tactic piece to have in the arsenal. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 5:43 AM, Holy_Diver said:

Hey!
Can I ask you any questions about the list? I am very curious to see how it behaves in my local meta, and also following the @PlasticCraic blog, I am trying to understand how the Bonesplitterz deal with certain situations.

For example: against Seraphon and Nighthuant how did you manage?

Hey sorry for the delay! I've got 16 pages of tactics and write-ups coming on PlasticCraic's blog, but the shorthand for Nighthaunt and Seraphon:

Incarnate completely turns off a battle trait, our cheap units mean easy screening, and our two good subfactions push out consistent damage. That said, I dont think its a great matchup, but definitely a +50% win chance for us.

As for Seraphon, the goal is to get AGGRESSIVE and start threatening objectives ASAP. When left to their own devices, Seraphon will absolutely grind you to dust. The goal is to max points each turn and whatever you can to minimize what they can score. Hard, hard, hard matchup.

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2022 at 5:10 PM, bonzai said:

Main question I have is, did Mork's Boney Bits ever do anything? Last edition I never left home without them, as I could get a 3+ to cast from them, a wardokk, and a Rogue Idol. Now with it being completely dependant on my opponents roster, I haven't looked at it since.

When it matters, it matters a lot. If you intend to have a chance at the high tables, you have to be able to fight in the hero phase to cast and unbind spells.

It only really mattered against Khorne and Seraphon, where I got a +5 and +4 respectively, but those were two matches where I really needed to get my spells off.

Against DoK it only barely mattered, and against Slaanesh and Nighthaunt it did stone nothing.

I'm definitely taking it again.

14 hours ago, Shirtripper said:

Hey sorry for the delay! I've got 16 pages of tactics and write-ups coming on PlasticCraic's blog, but the shorthand for Nighthaunt and Seraphon:

Incarnate completely turns off a battle trait, our cheap units mean easy screening, and our two good subfactions push out consistent damage. That said, I dont think its a great matchup, but definitely a +50% win chance for us.

As for Seraphon, the goal is to get AGGRESSIVE and start threatening objectives ASAP. When left to their own devices, Seraphon will absolutely grind you to dust. The goal is to max points each turn and whatever you can to minimize what they can score. Hard, hard, hard matchup.

Thanks first of all for the quick guide. If I may, I wanted to ask you a couple more curiosities:

- Why choose "No place for the weak" instead of "Waaagh!" for grand strategy? It seems much more difficult to complete, especially against Sons and Nighthaunt.

- Will the 16 pages of tactics on the blog be about Bonesplitterz? If so, super interesting! 😃

3 hours ago, Holy_Diver said:

Thanks first of all for the quick guide. If I may, I wanted to ask you a couple more curiosities:

- Why choose "No place for the weak" instead of "Waaagh!" for grand strategy? It seems much more difficult to complete, especially against Sons and Nighthaunt.

- Will the 16 pages of tactics on the blog be about Bonesplitterz? If so, super interesting! 😃

I only failed No Place against Khalebron DoK--4+ rallying and teleporting battleline is a bit much. Waaagh feels like a better choice in Icebone when you have much better mobility. Get Dem Bonez is also interesting to me.

And only 8 pages is tactics, the rest is the tournament report :)

On 9/20/2022 at 1:41 PM, Shirtripper said:

I only failed No Place against Khalebron DoK--4+ rallying and teleporting battleline is a bit much. Waaagh feels like a better choice in Icebone when you have much better mobility. Get Dem Bonez is also interesting to me.

And only 8 pages is tactics, the rest is the tournament report :)

I tried Get Dem Bones a lot when the book came out. My experience was that it was easily achievable. However towards the the end of the game I am usually really short on units. So claiming it usually involved me removing a unit from an objective. So in the end it was causing me to trade points instead of netting them. So I switched to Waaagh as I can score that passively. Other lists and players might get more mileage out of it though. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 9/23/2022 at 5:35 AM, Shirtripper said:

Thank you for the indepth write up. I will admit that I am still finding my footing with my Bonesplitterz this edition. I have been playing Drakkfoot since the begining, but up until now they were the caster focused sub faction. That was my jam with them, regularly casting 6 spells a turn with easily obtainable 3+ casting bonuses. I would suppliment this with nice screens to protect the casters, some mobile units, and a distraction carnifex/hammer unit. Now I am forced to play the army entirely differently. Not necasarily the worst thing ever, but it has been a big adjustment. This write up helps, and seeing you get a 4+ to cast vs seraphon does make me smile. Congratz on your great showing!

Edited by bonzai
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 5:35 AM, Shirtripper said:

How the heck do you remember all of what happened so well?!  Excellent to read such exciting reports.  Gives me some thinking to do with some of my other armies too.  The min-max board control is an angle I suppose some armies do way way better than others, but I think even with my Cities and Fyreslayers, possibly Sylvaneth, similar methods could be employed.  Also gets me thinking about what I have that can do damage to multiple units at once to kill a bunch of Stabbas :D

• Like 1

I kind of get the Big Stabba thing and find it pretty smart, But I wonder wether this strategy might also be viable with pigs? I just finished 30 Boarboys and 10 Maniaks and actually I am not really eager in building 20 and more Stabbas especially it’s only 2 different models (show me your conversions if you guys made any)

Pigs surely are more expensive and hurt more if main use is to screen and dictate opponents move, but they hold on longer and even cover more distance and after all have more board presence.

Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
    - Army Type: Bonesplitterz
    - Army Subfaction: Icebone
    - Grand Strategy: Tame the Land

LEADER

1 x Wurrgog Prophet (150)**
    - Artefacts: Glowin’ Tattooz
    - Spells: Glowy Green Tusks

- Artefacts: Mork’s Boney Bitz
    - Bonding: Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur

1 x Savage Big Boss (65)**
    - General
    - Command Traits: Great Hunter

BATTLELINE

5 x Savage Boarboys (140)*
    - Bone Totem Bearer
    - Skull Thumper
    - Chompa

5 x Savage Boarboys (140)**
    - Bone Totem Bearer
    - Skull Thumper
    - Chompa

10 x Savage Orruks (165)***
    - Bone Totem Bearer
    - Skull Thumper
    - Chompa

- Skull Thumper
    - Bone Totem Bearer
    - Chompa

5 x Savage Boarboys (140)****
    - Bone Totem Bearer
    - Skull Thumper
    - Chompa

- Bone Totem Bearer
    - Skull Thumper
    - Chompa

BEHEMOTH

1 x Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (400)

ENDLESS SPELL

1 x Soulsnare Shackles (50)

OTHER

5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (145)*

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Bounty Hunters

**Warlord

***Expert Conquerors

****Bounty Hunters

TOTAL POINTS: (1995/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Edited by Keilerei
Copied army list
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

How the heck do you remember all of what happened so well?!  Excellent to read such exciting reports.  Gives me some thinking to do with some of my other armies too.  The min-max board control is an angle I suppose some armies do way way better than others, but I think even with my Cities and Fyreslayers, possibly Sylvaneth, similar methods could be employed.  Also gets me thinking about what I have that can do damage to multiple units at once to kill a bunch of Stabbas :D

I wrote it the Tuesday afterwards when I could still remember it all! Its a very, very fun army to play and that playstyle is a blast to use. Glad you enjoyed the read. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keilerei said:

I kind of get the Big Stabba thing and find it pretty smart, But I wonder wether this strategy might also be viable with pigs? I just finished 30 Boarboys and 10 Maniaks and actually I am not really eager in building 20 and more Stabbas especially it’s only 2 different models (show me your conversions if you guys made any)

Pigs surely are more expensive and hurt more if main use is to screen and dictate opponents move, but they hold on longer and even cover more distance and after all have more board presence.

Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
    - Army Type: Bonesplitterz
    - Army Subfaction: Icebone
    - Grand Strategy: Tame the Land

LEADER

- Artefacts: Glowin’ Tattooz

- Artefacts: Mork’s Boney Bitz
    - Bonding: Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur

1 x Savage Big Boss (65)**
    - General
    - Command Traits: Great Hunter

BATTLELINE

5 x Savage Boarboys (140)*
    - Bone Totem Bearer
    - Skull Thumper
    - Chompa

5 x Savage Boarboys (140)**
    - Bone Totem Bearer
    - Skull Thumper
    - Chompa

- Bone Totem Bearer
    - Skull Thumper
    - Chompa

- Skull Thumper
    - Bone Totem Bearer
    - Chompa

- Bone Totem Bearer
    - Skull Thumper
    - Chompa

- Bone Totem Bearer
    - Skull Thumper
    - Chompa

BEHEMOTH

1 x Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (400)

ENDLESS SPELL

1 x Soulsnare Shackles (50)

OTHER

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Bounty Hunters

**Warlord

***Expert Conquerors

****Bounty Hunters

TOTAL POINTS: (1995/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

I think it could work for sure! I'm a big fan of boarboys--got 30 painted along with 20 maniaks myself.

• Like 1

Well I don't have my 'Splitterz anymore but for this is my close as I can think of proxy using Slaves to Darkness:

Using all Idolators w Undivided Chaos Marks for the 6+ ward I think they get in range of a hero....

Lord on Karkadrak/ Idolator Chariot Lord/Centaurion Marshal/Sorcerer Lord

5 units of Untamed Beasts for the pre-game move of 6" each

3 units of Chaos Legionnaires for their no CA on a 4+ shenanigans

3 Chaos Chariots to hopefully cause some MW shock charges and tarpit

4 allied Cockatrices to simulate the Wurgogg's staring problems

Board control!  Of course no big stabba equivalent who get to cause MW when they die 😛

There is a new Meta watch article up.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/29/metawatch-how-the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-team-uses-tournament-data-to-balance-the-game/

In it, they talk about what they look for in terms of game balance, and what they prioritize. Frankly this has me concerned. By thier metrics we are a stronger army than Seraphon, and slightly above where they wanted us on the power curve. This is nuts! Yeah we have been having a fun streak as a surprise wild card army, but it has been a small group of skilled players that have been pushing those win margins, and it also has had a lot to do with things external to our army units. Things like the Krondspine, GH2, etc... There is no way that we should be put at the same level as Seraphon, let alone higher than them. At least our win rate is only slightly higher than thier target percentage. What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by bonzai

So... change of gears for a bit. The manager of the local GW is talking about running a tournament that allows Anvil of Apotheosis characters. So I have started theory crafting one. I had purchased an old metal Wurrzag a while back, and have pulled the trigger on a 3D printed counts as Squiggoth. I will kit bash them together and I came up with the following build;

Bonesplitterz  Orruk 3 (Acolyte)
Mage's Staff 1
Gargantuan Beast 15
Vicious Charge: 1
Stomp: 2
Archpriest: 3
Regenerate: 3
3x extra armor 6
Superior vitality  1
Total: 35 destiny points (350 list points)

Since it doesn't have the unique keyword, it would get a prayer enhancement. This would let me get Curse. Curse will interfere with Spirit of Gorkamorka, but would be worth it, especially with Drakkfoot. In the mean time he is a hammer, and is mobile enough to more or less keep up with Boar Boys. 

Here is my initial list.

Drakkfoot
Grand Strategy: Waaagh!
Triumph: Bloodthirsty

Battle Regiment
Mogguk (tough 'un, Lucky Bone, curse) 350
Savage Big Boss 65 (General, great hunter)
10 Moreboys 155
10 Moreboys 155
10 Savage Orruk Boys (chompas) 165
2 Big Stabbas 80
2 Big Stabbas 80

Command Entourage
Wurrgog Prophet (Gorkamorka’s War Cry, Glowing Tattoos) 150
Wardokk (Glowing green tusks) 80
Wardokk (power of the wereboar) 80

Bounty Hunters
10 Boarboy Maniacs 290
10 Boarboy Maniacs 290

Endless Spells: Emerald Life Swarm 60

Total: 2,000

The idea is that I have a ton of healing to try and keep my priest up and running and maximizing curse damage with the Boarboy Maniacs. The rest is pretty straight forward. 

Would love to hear feed back for both the character and the list!

Screenshot_20221002-204138_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-204221_Samsung Internet.jpg

mogguk-waaaghbringa__002c-erald-o__0027-gorkamorka.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Yargar said:

So, how does everyone feel about our points increase?

Sadge. Wurrgog was earned but a 25% increase on big stabbas is crippling. I love big stabbas and it's going to ravage the army's wound count to spam them now - and there's no way to build a BS army without spamming something.

Doesn't help that the win rate was definitely helped by the Inkarnate, which was also nerfed. The good BS shell went up by like 300 points it's legitimately one of the biggest points nerfs I've seen since playing AoS.

8 hours ago, Yargar said:

So, how does everyone feel about our points increase?

Not including the underworlds warband, with this update they nerfed 30% of our battle tome. And that 30% just happened to be all of our most effective units. I was concerned over a month ago, when they held us up to be on the same level as Seraphon. Yeah, we had a spike in performance. Why? Because of a couple reasons. First, Drakkfoot is a nice counter to Maggotkin and Nighthaunt.  Both of those armies are very popular, so we are a spoiler list of sorts. Second was the Incarnate. Before Kragnos or the Incarnate we didn't have a tournament showing better than 3-2. This started to change once they were released, and we started to see our rankings go up. The obvious conclusion was that we drastically needed a hammer. In addition the Incarnate specifically supplemented our only viable play style, which was board control that is achieved by pinning your opponent in place. We were 1% higher than they wanted us, and a big part of the reason behind that was the current Meta. In response they nerfed not only the Incarnate, but all of the effective units that we have. I think that this is way too heavy handed of a nerf, and shows the lack of nuance and understanding that GW has. My competitive list has gone up 160 points between this and the purple sun nerf. That is potentially 20 wounds less in my list. I think that they could have just nerfed the Incarnate and achieved their desired result. That being said, a 20 point increase on the Wurrgogs was fair. Our army consists of 2 boxes, 1 clamshell, and 2 resin heroes. Our bench isn't exactly deep, so any hits like this hit hard.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I noticed that every time i look at the boarboys they are out of stock. This has been for a few months now. Am i just looking at a bad time or has this been going on for a while now? I am asking because i want to order some in time for x-mas.

(we have 2 bonesplitterz threads?)

On 11/9/2022 at 7:25 AM, Colonic said:

Well we have one in the Orruk Warclans subforum, then this one that people won't let die! 😆

I still consider Bonesplitterz to be their own distinct army. So I like keeping threads like this a live. Hell. A big part of me wishes that they would do away with Orruk Warclans and big waaagh altogether and break us into 3 separate books. They can give them coalition rules and call it a day. 

Why? Because that way they would be forced to give each faction some attention each edition. As it is now, it is diluted between three armies and that is if they don't decide to add in a 4th (like a more generic greenskins orc army). Aside from the Underworlds warband, we haven't gotten a single new model since what? Warhammer fantasy.6th edition? 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well... I just learned that Forge World has discontinued all of their non 40k compatible models. This means that it is only a matter of time before they get shuffled off to legends. This bums me out, as Rogue Idols have been a staple in my lists since 2nd edition. It filled an important niche in our army, and it will be missed. Guess I am going to have to go Krondspine Incarnate or Kragnos. 

Edited by bonzai
  • Sad 2