AoS 3rd - Idoneth Deepkin discussion

HollowHills

1 hour ago, vinnyt said:

Incarnate is excellent in deepkin, imo. It almost single-handedly solves our problem with the oops-all-dragons army lists you see everywhere. Chuck it into a unit of 4 and watch as it never dies and kills the unit over a couple phases. Or chuck it into characters. Or chuck it into any big beasty. 

How would that work? The UH alone is like 7 MWs, then the incarnate kills maybe 1 dragon and the 3 remaining deals enough to level it down to lvl 1, then shoot and fight it in their turn to level it down to 0. It would get 2 combat phases off, probably killing 2 dragons, but its still a net loss. The dragons are also way faster so the problem with them just swooshing 24" forward and killing everything before you can react still remains.

The incarnate seems pretty good though, not overwhelmingly so but enough to maybe see some play. 

You don't lose levels until the BS phase.

Incarnate charges, eats an arbitrary number of MW from unleash hell. Kills a dragon, now level 3. Goes to level 2 during BS phase. Dragons can't retreat out of combat. Incarnate eats an arbitrary number of wounds, kills a dragon, goes to level 3. Goes to level 2 during BS phase. 

Rinse and Repeat. 

And even if you fail to kill a dragon in one combat phase, you still get a second chance to do so since you'll just bounce between levels 1 and 2 instead of 2 and 3. 

Would anyone be willing to help me put a 2000 point list together. I've largely just collected for years, but am going to finally start playing with some people I met at a LGS. I have the following toolkit to play with:

Akhelian King

Volturnos

Eidolon of the Sea

Isharann Soulrender, Soulscryer, Tidecaster 

Lotann

Ishlaen Guard x2

Morrsarr Guard x4

Namarti Reaver x2

Namarti Thralls x6

Leviadon

Allopexes x2

Thanks so much! Trying to both learn to play AoS and this army after collecting for years.

Edit: Those are units, not models

Edited by Homura

3 hours ago, vinnyt said:

Incarnate charges, eats an arbitrary number of MW from unleash hell. Kills a dragon, now level 3. Goes to level 2 during BS phase. Dragons can't retreat out of combat. Incarnate eats an arbitrary number of wounds, kills a dragon, goes to level 3. Goes to level 2 during BS phase. 

Right! Forgot they had the monster key word. Still has to catch the dragons but yeah it will eat some dragons for sure.

2 hours ago, Homura said:

Would anyone be willing to help me put a 2000 point list together. I've largely just collected for years, but am going to finally start playing with some people I met at a LGS. I have the following toolkit to play with:

Akhelian King

Volturnos

Eidolon of the Sea

Isharann Soulrender, Soulscryer, Tidecaster 

Lotann

Ishlaen Guard x2

Morrsarr Guard x4

Namarti Reaver x2

Namarti Thralls x6

Leviadon

Allopexes x2

Thanks so much! Trying to both learn to play AoS and this army after collecting for years.

Edit: Those are units, not models

Russ from Facehammer recently went 4-1 with Eidolon of the Sea, soulrender, thrallmaster, 10+10 thralls, 10 reavers, 3 sharks and a leviadon. You could just drop a shark and the thrallmaster in favor of Lotann and another unit of reavers and you have a solid Morphann list.

There was a Ionrach list mentioned on last page that went 4-1 with King, Volturnos, tidecaster (reverse tides), 20 Thralls, 10 Thralls, 10 Reavers, 6 Morrsarr, 2 Sharks. 

Either "net deck" one of those lists and make adaptations as you go along, or build something you like from scratch. You honestly can't make a "wrong" list with the current book.

Edited by umpac

I actually think the Incarnate will be amazing when using Fuethán. The fact you can use all out attack on the incarnate and buff all allies with all out attack within it’s domination range is crazy for Fuethán. Being able to AOA in the shooting phase, but also in the combat phase as an aura is just crazy good for this subfaction. No longer do shivers suffer not being optimal targets for command abilities, because you run the sharks within the aura and have them all benefit. Besides the nets on sharks, now you can stop opponents from retreating as well. Debuff enemy wizards, buff your bonded wizard(not sure if it works in my following list, because i’m not sure if i can use the arcane tome when having a bonded incarnate). You also make allies within domination range, re-roll runs and charges. It’s huge combined with the tides! The list i will try to run this weekend:

Army Faction: Idoneth Deepkin
    - Army Subfaction: Fuethán
    - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
    - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

Akhelian King (250)
    - General
    - Command Traits: Unstoppable Fury
    - Bladed Polearm and Falchion
    - Artefacts: Arcane Tome
    - Mount Traits: Voidchill Darkness
    - Spells: Flaming Weapon
    - Bonding: Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur

Lotann (115)

BATTLELINE

Akhelian Allopexes (Bloodthirsty Shiver) (165)
    - Razorshell Harpoon Launcher, Barbed Hooks and Blades

- Retarius Net Launcher, Barbed Hooks and Blades

1 x Akhelian Allopexes (330)

1 x Akhelian Allopexes (330)

BEHEMOTH

Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (400)

ENDLESS SPELL

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

TERRAIN

Gloomtide Shipwreck (0)

TOTAL POINTS: (1980/2000)

Edited by That Guy

1 hour ago, Paul Buckler said:

How are you using All out attack on it during the shooting phase?

He's not, because you can't.

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Being able to AOA in the shooting phase, but also in the combat phase as an aura is just crazy good for this subfaction

You can't pick the Incarnate to shoot because it doesn't have a shooting attack, meaning it can't be given AoA and thus can't project it to units in range.

I think I might look to combo the Incarnate with a Mor'phann list, backing up it's combat prowess with a couple of blocks of Namarti and the usual support. Thinking bonding it to an Eidolonn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe something like this:

- Army Faction: Idoneth Deepkin
     - Subfaction: Fuethán
     - Triumph: Inspired

LEADERS
Eidolon of Mathlann Aspect of the Sea (325)*
     - General
     - Command Traits: Endless Sea Storm
     - Spells: Counter-current, Steed of Tides
     - Bonding:  Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur
Isharann Soulscryer (150)*
     - Prayers: Heal
Akhelian Thrallmaster (110)*
     - Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome
     - Spells: Arcane Corrasion, Pressure of the Deep

BATTLELINE
Akhelian Allopexes (Bloodthirsty Shiver) (165)**
     - Retarius Net Launcher, Barbed Hooks and Blades

Namarti Thralls (130)
Namarti Thralls (130)
Namarti Thralls (260)*

BEHEMOTH
Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (400)

TERRAIN
1 x Gloomtide Shipwreck (0)

CORE BATTALIONS
 -  *Warlord
- ** Hunters of the Heartlands

TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Edited by woolf
  • Like 1

Prepping for my game against KO tomorrow night.   Fiddling with lists,  the only things I don’t own currently are eels, lotann, volturnos, and any of the nemarti units. I have enough sharks to play fuethan shark spam or play nautilar triple turtles.   

- Army Subfaction: Fuethán
    - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

Akhelian King (250)*
    - General
    - Command Traits: Unstoppable Fury
    - Bladed Polearm and Falchion
    - Artefacts: Armour of the Cythai
    - Mount Traits: Voidchill Darkness

Isharann Tidecaster (150)**
    - Spells: Steed of Tides

BATTLELINE

Akhelian Allopexes (Bloodthirsty Shiver) (165)*

2 x Akhelian Allopexes (495)*

ENDLESS SPELL

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

**Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (1945/2000)

• Like 1

This list is also something I want to try running into lumineth.   I think I have a somewhat decent shot at smacking around the would be sons of teclis, but I have always struggled against them,  though I’ve been having more success as of late 

46 minutes ago, Derek said:

Prepping for my game against KO tomorrow night.   Fiddling with lists,  the only things I don’t own currently are eels, lotann, volturnos, and any of the nemarti units. I have enough sharks to play fuethan shark spam or play nautilar triple turtles.   

Against KO you really want something cheap or extremely sturdy to absorb the shooting.

They are even more mobile than we are especially using the "fligh high" ability sot to get something out of "forgotten nightmares" you still need good screening and the turn one ritual will do next to nothing here. Also "unleash hell" could be an issue ind addition to the ships dropping bombs.

Well.  I think I can still manage to outdrop him.  So I can get first turn.  The last time I played against KO I absolutely destroyed them but I was playing thunderlizards seraphon so.  I will have to work on the list.   Any suggestions on what else to try?  Knowing that I don’t have any thralls done all I can do for battleline are sharks or turtles,  this might be one game that isharaan guard would be awesome to ignore rend with.  

- Army Subfaction: Nautilar

LEADER

Eidolon of Mathlann Aspect of the Sea (325)

Isharann Tidecaster (150)

BATTLELINE

Akhelian Leviadon (500)

Akhelian Leviadon (500)

Akhelian Leviadon (500)

TOTAL POINTS: (1975/2000)

this is another idea but I’m worried that high rend and volume of shots will blow this list off the board with no real effort

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Liquidsteel said:

He's not, because you can't.

You can't pick the Incarnate to shoot because it doesn't have a shooting attack, meaning it can't be given AoA and thus can't project it to units in range.

I think I might look to combo the Incarnate with a Mor'phann list, backing up it's combat prowess with a couple of blocks of Namarti and the usual support. Thinking bonding it to an Eidolonn.

Thank you. I completely forgot that it isn’t possible to carry out AoA in the shooting phase if the unit itself can’t shoot. Nonetheless i think the list will do amazing. It does work for the combat phase, for both mounts and riders and of course the other utility it offers is great too. 

9 hours ago, Derek said:

Well.  I think I can still manage to outdrop him.  So I can get first turn.  The last time I played against KO I absolutely destroyed them but I was playing thunderlizards seraphon so.  I will have to work on the list.   Any suggestions on what else to try?  Knowing that I don’t have any thralls done all I can do for battleline are sharks or turtles,  this might be one game that isharaan guard would be awesome to ignore rend with.  

Last time I played KO at a tournament I tabled my opponent. So yes I would also think this match is in favour of IDK. I had two units of 10 Thralls who (with cover in turn 1 and allout defense) took almost all the bullets in the first two turns. 

But still - deciding the fist initiative won't get you that much in this pairing. He can deploy far enough back that you won't get into contact turn 1 but with fly high he would still be able to get in 9" of your army wherever he wanted. A garrisoned Frigate has a decent chance to take out a shark per shooting phase especiially of he manages to stay away from you a while.

Good for you: He cannot use his retreat ability because all your units fly.

As for the turtle spam...I have not seen it played yet so it might be better that it looks to me. But without anything to support I don't see the Leviadon redeeming 500 points. You can only use the Nautilar monstrous rampage on one turtle at the time and only supercharge 1/3. On objectives you whole army only counts as 18 models and I would imagine scoring would often be a struggle. 

• Like 1

@DocKeule  I’ve played triple turtles 5 times, and I’m at a 75% win rate being that I’ve won 3 of the 5 games with the list.  The trick I think with the turtle list since I don’t have the king is to have the aspect of the sea get off the negative to save roll spell and try to roll high enough that the turtles be it the super buffed -3 rend one or otherwise can smack down the big ships once I get rid of the gunhaulers,  which should be easy enough with all the d3 damage shots going out.    I should have 70 thralls soon and 50 reavers so I’m definitely going to be going nuts with that list when I can run it successfully.  

And as for getting far enough back yea I won’t be able to fight him I can 100% still shoot him  turn one but come turn 2 or 3 I can rush him.   The board size I think hinders the fly high ability since you don’t have a full 6ft board to hop around on.  

The shark list I have is a 2 drop.  I maximized the number of sharks so I’m sitting at 9 sharks a king and a tidecaster.   2 blood thirsty shivers and 1 unit of 3 sharks.   I guess I could always make it 3 blood thirsty shivers and be ok.  But I like the unit of 3.  I’ll post up the bat rep after my game tonight I have two games possibly one against KO and one against LRL if I have time at the store to do so.