Dragon Themed Cities Army

BaronBanana

So, I'm trying to come up with a list to properly theme a city that's run by dragons. Bahamut Miniature by Lord of the Print 3D Printed DnD Mini image 0

I picked up this model that I want to counts as an awesome centerpiece model, like a Lord-Celestant on Stardrake, General on Griffon, or Dreadlord on Black Dragon.  

I figured Gyrocopters and Gyrobombers could be run as young dragons, wizards as dragonborn wizards/sorcerers.  Any other ideas that the grand internet could help me with and maybe some models to go along with them?

Edited by BaronBanana

I've been considering a lot of "Dragon Based" armies lately, due to both awesome lore in my head and GW's surprising lack of dragon focused armies.

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake would be perfect for that beast of a model, and will likely get at least a rework in the up and coming Stormcast Eternals redo. As for the rest of the army...that gets weird. Gyrocopters aren't bad for little dragons, though they lack some combat punch that a beast with teeth and claws might have.  General/Battlemages on Griffons or of course the Dreadlord/Sorceress on Dragon can work for smaller dragons and such, just converting the Black Dragon mini into a less ridden form. Hydras can make solid wingless Dragonoids!

For a dragon RUN city, then having plenty of mortal servants for Freeguild/Duardin/Elven guard to run city proper. Simple motifs like Dragon helmets, dragon carvings on shield, or even diving deeper into a primal dragon deals with Realm of Beasts relations, you can have sacred dragon bones and such. Which could even blend into Realm of Death stuff?

Cities runs a LOT of potential counts as, so honestly, just finding a balanced list and switching up the models as you like will often work fine. Having that big dragon centerpiece and several other Dragon tidbits will often get the point across. Having a Monster heavy Cities army isn't bad and will likely improve with the new fun stuff monsters can do in this new edition. 

You could consider the phoenecium and just replace every Phoenix with dragons.

They benefit from having units die (+1 to hit/wound if one of your units died that phase) and then having other units that can take advantage of the buff that provides. So throngs of cheap flagellants (who have no save and also benefit from losing models) would represent your cult of dragon worshipers and then the phoenix guard could be converted with dragon helmets (look for 3rd party bits for 40k Salamanders maybe) because they are both generally amazing and better alongside phoenix mounted guys.

Lastly you can bring the stardrake as your 1 in 4 stormcast unit to really stand out from the other younger dragons (phoenix) 

All great ideas, I have a few lists I've been working with to kind of build a "fluffy" list
image.png.c707cea2f8f08572092086a58dade1ae.png

First one is having four dragons, The Luminark, CH, LC, and FHP, with their heavily armored garrison.

image.png.8822340cc967fccc7fb40678296b806c.png

Ambushing Dragons, for those that dare enter their realm

image.png.1757d7df01defa1ff9f941ed2c1e5661.png

Cult of the dragon with their royal guard

If you want basic infantry, the "dark elves" have a fair bit of draconic symbols. Mostly decals for the basic darkling coven infantry, but also scaled cloaks for black ark corsairs.

Also, irondrakes have a LOT of draconic symbols, their weapons are shaped like dragon mouths and their banner also has some dragons on it.

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Anvilgard (Illicit Dealings: Black Market Bounty)
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
- General
- Lance of Spite & Shield
- Command Trait: Blackfang Crimelord
- Artefact: Drakescale Cloak
- Drakeblood Curse: Fell Gaze
- Drakeblood Curse: Jutting Bones
Sorceress on Black Dragon (300)
- Witch Rod
- Lore of Dark Sorcerery: Vitriolic Spray
Assassin (80)
- Artefact: Venomfang Blade
- City Role: General's Adjutant
5 x Drakespawn Knights (130)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
40 x Darkshards (400)
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137

• LOVE IT! 1

18 hours ago, Sapca said:

- General
- Drakeblood Curse: Jutting Bones
Sorceress on Black Dragon (300)
- Witch Rod
Assassin (80)
- Artefact: Venomfang Blade
40 x Darkshards (400)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 137

I do like this list because it's triple dragon which is super up my alley.  However, I'm shooting for a more thematic line up and your list gave me the idea of triple dragon and using hydras and kharibdyss as drakes and other wingless dragonkin with some infantry as "cultists" or "worshippers"

On 6/8/2021 at 11:11 AM, BaronBanana said:

I do like this list because it's triple dragon which is super up my alley.  However, I'm shooting for a more thematic line up and your list gave me the idea of triple dragon and using hydras and kharibdyss as drakes and other wingless dragonkin with some infantry as "cultists" or "worshippers"

Hmm, do it with Fleetmaster and Corsairs then.

Kharibdyss with roar + fell gaze gives -3 to bravery in area. Dark Riders another -1. It can be nasty, just not vs OB :)

Hydra with acid blood has has two good interactions (it guarantee heals and with acid blood, bounces few MW back in melee). So opponent kinda needs to go hard on her or you kinda get more out of both acid and heal.

Sorceress on Dragon, use only with 40 Darkshards imo to use command ability. Otherwise Dreadlord better. Foot sorceress still good for -1 hit. Acidic Spray (save to - spell) can still be ok with pirates with xbows. Incantor is really good for 1 unbind and he's hard enough to eat some shooting (good Adjutant).

--

This here is 1580 as core, 3 dragons, 2 hydras/kharbs and 3 battlelines (hydra/kharb is BL in Anvilgard). I really advise to have at least one unit of Shadow Warriors. Fleetmaster wont die with 20 strong routine, can use his CA on Kharb also. Corsairs with xbows are deceptively good damage also, resist some shooting. If you manage to get spray off they actually hurt things, can likely drop to 10 also without issue if you need extra 80 points. For maybe a Stardrake in middle of everything, hehe.  But get some objective grabbers, archers,... Shadow Warriors are always awesome but there are also other options I guess. Niche thing you can do is bravery bombing, if CP gets important... -bravery will force some inspiring presences here. Well not on OB ofc... immune. Can drop 1 dragon as 3 seems bit overkill with monsters with also hydra+kharb in list, 1200 spent (2 dragons, 2 hydra/kharbs, 3bls, 2 extra heroes) and 800 left to play with...

Anvilgard gives you 2 artifacts and 2 curses with Blackfang Crimelord.. With 3.0 edition you might want to drop one curse/artifact for d3 extra CP instead as that might be big.

New Monster rules should be fun here as you would be able to use most of those all the time (Titanic Battle, Roar, Stomp,...).

- Artefact: Asphyxica Censer
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60)
- General
Knight-Incantor (120)
20 x Black Ark Corsairs (160)
- Vicious Blade & Repeater Handbow
Kharibdyss (170)
War Hydra (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Acidic Blood

Total: 1580 / 2000
Wounds: 96

EDIT: Hydras and Kharbys in Anvilgard do NOT count as Behemots towards the army limit! They are Battleline. Explained in FAQ :) (so theoretically, you could go 3 dragons and max hydras as you can fit.... or one Fleetmaster +11 hydras is also legit (1930 pt))

Edited by Sapca
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:15 AM, Sapca said:

Hmm, do it with Fleetmaster and Corsairs then.

Kharibdyss with roar + fell gaze gives -3 to bravery in area. Dark Riders another -1. It can be nasty, just not vs OB :)

Hydra with acid blood has has two good interactions (it guarantee heals and with acid blood, bounces few MW back in melee). So opponent kinda needs to go hard on her or you kinda get more out of both acid and heal.

Sorceress on Dragon, use only with 40 Darkshards imo to use command ability. Otherwise Dreadlord better. Foot sorceress still good for -1 hit. Acidic Spray (save to - spell) can still be ok with pirates with xbows. Incantor is really good for 1 unbind and he's hard enough to eat some shooting (good Adjutant).

--

This here is 1580 as core, 3 dragons, 2 hydras/kharbs and 3 battlelines (hydra/kharb is BL in Anvilgard). I really advise to have at least one unit of Shadow Warriors. Fleetmaster wont die with 20 strong routine, can use his CA on Kharb also. Corsairs with xbows are deceptively good damage also, resist some shooting. If you manage to get spray off they actually hurt things, can likely drop to 10 also without issue if you need extra 80 points. For maybe a Stardrake in middle of everything, hehe.  But get some objective grabbers, archers,... Shadow Warriors are always awesome but there are also other options I guess. Niche thing you can do is bravery bombing, if CP gets important... -bravery will force some inspiring presences here. Well not on OB ofc... immune. Can drop 1 dragon as 3 seems bit overkill with monsters with also hydra+kharb in list, 1200 spent (2 dragons, 2 hydra/kharbs, 3bls, 2 extra heroes) and 800 left to play with...

Anvilgard gives you 2 artifacts and 2 curses with Blackfang Crimelord.. With 3.0 edition you might want to drop one curse/artifact for d3 extra CP instead as that might be big.

New Monster rules should be fun here as you would be able to use most of those all the time (Titanic Battle, Roar, Stomp,...).

- Artefact: Asphyxica Censer
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60)
- General
Knight-Incantor (120)
20 x Black Ark Corsairs (160)
- Vicious Blade & Repeater Handbow
Kharibdyss (170)
War Hydra (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Acidic Blood

Total: 1580 / 2000
Wounds: 96

EDIT: Hydras and Kharbys in Anvilgard do NOT count as Behemots towards the army limit! They are Battleline. Explained in FAQ :) (so theoretically, you could go 3 dragons and max hydras as you can fit.... or one Fleetmaster +11 hydras is also legit (1930 pt))

Nice, I'm definitely gonna slap some more Karibs and Hydras onto that and maybe some phoenix guard because I'm a power gaming timmy or whatever their name is.

I haven't seen anything stating you can't play Anvilgard anymore

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Coldone knights make for a good dragon themed mount. Essentially you can make a very fluffy list with Black Dragons, Corsairs, and Coldone Riders with a Hydra/Kharybdis to round it out. Just make sure to have the Corsair cloaks match the dragon/cold one colours schemes to better tie your infantry in with the rest of your force.