What would you like for AoS 3

Enoby

34 minutes ago, Eternalis said:

They only sell it in english. Books are sold in English, French, Italian, German, Japanese...

I didn't know that, that makes even less sense!

Keeping localized dead tree books in good stock is harder, so you want to publish that file you already needed to make to send to the printer, right?

1 hour ago, RexHavoc said:

They are really not that much lower. Digital books have a lot of 'behind the scenes' costs past the initial design & sale that people tend to forget about, and knowing GW don't exactly have a crack IT team as it is (They can't even keep the website up & running on the one day a week it needs to be) I can imagine the amount man hours wasted bringing digital books for sale mounting up to close to that of a physical book.

Most of the additional costs of digital distribution come from trying to wrangle all the DRM nonsense that companies try to cram into ebooks these days (with no appreciable effect on piracy, and often major inconvenience to legitimate users). Making your rules freely available avoids a lot of that. Serving web content isn't expensive or difficult. (And improving their web services to properly scale with load would be another great "How about joining us in the 21st century?" initiative for GW.)

They're already managing to make all the warscrolls available online, with minimal problems. It's a pretty small step from there to go fully digital using the same infrastructure.

1 hour ago, Eternalis said:

They only sell it in english. Books are sold in English, French, Italian, German, Japanese...

That blows my mind, honestly - thanks for the perspective. Why go to the trouble of translating all that content (difficult and expensive) and then not do the last simple step of also turning it into an ebook (easy and cheap)? Deranged.

2 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

The price of books in NZ is $83 physical and $35 digital via the AoS app (on iOS, android I believe is cheaper as Apple charge a higher percentage of sale price)

40k books on the other hand were $83 physical or $65 digital (or $83 for the iBooks Enhanced Editions)

Here, digital is 26 (looked it up for Cities on Warhammer Digital, app is a lot more limited and I don't have it), but physical 32,50. Through online retailers, the physical books get down to 25,50.

Because there are no resellers for digital, this means somehow the dead tree version is less expensive than the digital one.

Edited by zilberfrid

13 hours ago, Chikout said:

I would love to see gw change how the approach points changes. 

If I was GW, I would do a monthly thread on Twitter or the community site. I would ask everyone to vote for their 3 most overpointed and underpointed warscrolls. After a week I would compile all the info. 

I would then increase the points of the 10 warscrolls most voted as underpointed by 5% and decrease the top 10 overpointed warscrolls. 

If a warscroll stays in the top 10 for six months it gets a rewrite. 

This would leave most warscrolls unchanged but gradually push the points towards the fat middle. 

If  a gamer complained about a warscroll or some points, I (as gw)  could just direct them to the thread. 

So the faction with more supporters online wins, or with more influencers/thought leaders /respected voices of the community. Or maybe we just cut the points of Boaty Mr Boatface by half

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

So the faction with more supporters online wins, or with more influencers/thought leaders /respected voices of the community. Or maybe we just cut the points of Boaty Mr Boatface by half

You give the community too little credit. The vast majority of players just want to see a better game. Also an attempt to rig the system would be pretty obvious to whoever was compiling the data. 

It's not something I think gw will ever do as they don't seem to trust the community either. 

23 hours ago, Kadeton said:

Other wargaming companies I've dealt with have had printed books as an option for those who don't mind them going stale quickly. They still offer all their rules online, updated any time an errata is needed.

The point is not "Get rid of books," it's "Stop letting the deficiencies of physical media dictate your update cycle."

I would prefer that producers get the rules right in the first place, but yeah.