Ordering from the EU after 01-01-2021

Lowki

On 1/18/2021 at 4:00 PM, Marcvs said:

This from Wayland, which seems like good news?

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/content/182-eu-shipping-information

yes, i think that is really good news I think what they explain pretty much confirms what Runebrush already assumed. For EU you  will have to pay the VAT applicable for the country it is imported...in theory you should no longer pay the UK VAT, but it takes the reseller to make the right  arrangements...like wayland does now. With Wayland the right VAT will be applied at the checkout (so pay attention, price maybe higher after filling in the address), and they choose the method where you don’t have to pay through the courrier when it arrives at the border. I hope, and expect, that most other big resellers will do the same in the near future, but can take some time to make the required changes  to their  systems and website I guess.

i just checked, and indeed I see 1% increase price on checkout, that is exactly what I expected.

apart from paying maybe 1 or more % VAT depending on the country, you still may have additional cost like a handling fee from the courrier, or simply by them rasing their prices. Import duty,is, I think shouldnt be applicable in this case, due to the  deal they made. Unless the goods are actually manufactured outside the EU

at the moment it is maybe still a bit of a risk to order in the UK. It seems to take longer, things go wrong due to wrong papers...and i.e. the package I ordered was heavilly damaged. All the paintpots that were part of the order fell out during transport, and were missing at arrival. Must say, big compliment for Element Games. They  resend them by airmail immediately, without any discussion, and at no extra cost, Great service as always . I hope  they will start doing the same thing as Wayland, so I can order with them again.

Edited by Lowki

I had been planning to make quite a large order (for me, at least) to Tabletop World in the new year but I've been too hesitant after hearing about this in the news. (They're in Croatia and I'm in the UK.)

Am I understanding correctly; if I place an order with them, I will then be charged up to 30% of that order again in tax and customs when it arrives in the UK?

I'm kicking myself that I didn't place the order sooner, before the new rules came into effect...

1 hour ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

I had been planning to make quite a large order (for me, at least) to Tabletop World in the new year but I've been too hesitant after hearing about this in the news. (They're in Croatia and I'm in the UK.)

Am I understanding correctly; if I place an order with them, I will then be charged up to 30% of that order again in tax and customs when it arrives in the UK?

I'm kicking myself that I didn't place the order sooner, before the new rules came into effect...

If you order from Croatia then the vendor should sell to you without croatian tax applied - so tax free.

I'd try to keep the order small - under 135gbp inclusive of delivery.

Currently orders under 135 pounds seem to be waved through as theoretically small item VAT should be collected by the seller.

If it's more than that be aware of the imprt duty and vat and if its handles through royal mail or parcel force then also a handling fee.

So for example:

200 pounds order with maybe 10 pounds shipping. = 210 pounds.

Import duty at say 3% on 210 pounds = 6.30 

Vat on 216.30 (210 + 6.30) at 20% = 43.26

If handled by Royal mail / Parcelforce +10 pounds fee. so  53.26

Grand total spent 263.26

However if Tabletop World have a tax agreement in place where they collect the tax at their end and pay HMRC here in the UK then the price you see is what you pay.

A good way to tell is that if at checkout your final amount is way lower than the original total, then you're going to have to pay tax on it in the UK.

As I say, importing a smaller amount may allow you to fly under the radar as the customs service at the moment have got a huuuuuge backlog of stuff, so maybe it's that pushing small value items though helps save time on their end.

Potentially be prepared.  I'm not saying it will be 30% but can be anything up to, so be prepared.  Remember that between vat and import duty you can easy start nudging 25% and then there will be the handling fee on top - so as I say, be prepared.  You might not,  but treat the above as worst case.

Failing that try and convince them to send it marked as a gift on the customs declaration and send you the invoice separately and not put it in the main parcel.

Edited by Kaleb Daark

I hope the added costs are not too much. The tabletop world buildings are stunning.

On 1/8/2021 at 3:26 PM, azdimy said:

I am concerned that gw in a near future treats the eu as  the rest of the world and prevents uk resellers to sell gw goods outside of the uk.  Something they could not do legally when the uk was part of the eu

I strongly suspect this will be the case. It makes so much sense from a business perspective, and now that the rules are different over there, expect GW, and other UK manufacturers, to reevaluate many aspects of their terms and practices.