...new to age of sigmar...(an old warhammer player)

wuytackc

Question

Hi all!

I'm pretty new to the age of sigmar game...

I have played warhammer and have 2 big armies... (Goblins & Dwarfs)

Now i've tried age of sigmar (bought some stuff 😉) and starting to really like it...

I have a LOT of questions and hope to ask them here...

So...

Q : Warhammer orcs 'n goblins is an army "that once was" and is 'legend'...so i would like to know if can i combine all the orc n globlin stuff to age of sigmar Gloomspite gitz or other armies? 

Q : I like playing with points values. For me, all the new titles, rules, playstyles are for now a bit complicated... What game do i play, when i want to play with points? 

I've also saw in the generals handbook 2020 and rulebook aos that you have several playstyles...? 

Also, you can combine almost every miniature or army with everyone...???

These things are a bit confusing for the old warhammer player here...(thats me 😉

As you can see my text is a bit mixed up, that's cause i have SO many questions that i want to ask all at once... 

Thanks for your time,

greetzzz

C.

13 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, wuytackc said:

Q : Warhammer orcs 'n goblins is an army "that once was" and is 'legend'...so i would like to know if can i combine all the orc n globlin stuff to age of sigmar Gloomspite gitz or other armies? 

Depending on the stuff you have, Orcs and Goblins are split into multiple factions (Moonclan, Spiderfang, Troggoths) are part of the Gloomspite Gitz, Black Orks are called Ardboys and are part of the Ironjawz, Savage Orruks are part of the Bonesplitterz and the normal Orks are Greenskins. Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz have their own Battletome called Orruk Warclans. The Greenskins can be played in one of the allegiances as well, but it won't be easy to get the Warscrolls for those units. The normal goblins were a faction called gitmobgrot, but they have the same problem as Greenskins, with the exception that they can only be played in the "Grand Allinace Destruction" not in a special Alliance like "Gloomspite Gitz"

11 minutes ago, wuytackc said:

Q : I like playing with points values. For me, all the new titles, rules, playstyles are for now a bit complicated... What game do i play, when i want to play with points? 

The Points are mainly used in Matched Play. The Generals Handbook has rules and points for that format.

Edited by EMMachine
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Depending on the stuff you have, Orcs and Goblins are split into multiple factions (Moonclan, Spiderfang, Troggoths) are part of the Gloomspite Gitz, Black Orks are called Ardboys and are part of the Ironjawz, Savage Orruks are part of the Bonesplitterz and the normal Orks are Greenskins. Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz have their own Battletome called Orruk Warclans. The Greenskins can be played in one of the allegiances as well, but it won't be easy to get the Warscrolls for those units. The normal goblins were a faction called gitmobgrot, but they have the same problem as Greenskins, with the exception that they can only be played in the "Grand Allinace Destruction" not in a special Alliance like "Gloomspite Gitz"

The Points are mainly used in Matched Play. The Generals Handbook has rules and points for that format.

so, if I understand it correctly, AOS goes as follow...

Allegiance is Order - Death - Chaos - Destruction

All Orcs, goblins, grots, greenskins, giants, spiders, trolls,... are Destruction Allegiance.

But, they splitted the 'orcs n goblins' into factions...?

What is difference between Allegiance Destruction and the grand alliance destruction?

Thanks,

C. 😉 

Welcome  back to the hobby!

It’s a glorious time to be here.  

I would download the Warhammer aos  Azyr app to build my armies using the official points. You’ll soon discover how to put together your fighting force. 

There are 4 Grand Allegiances as you mentioned. The green skins all go into Destruction. But there are several sub-factions, which are mentioned above. If you play a GA you will miss out on a lot of rules but you can then bring everything from that Allegiance together. 

Edited by Slaktor
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, wuytackc said:

Allegiance is Order - Death - Chaos - Destruction

All Orcs, goblins, grots, greenskins, giants, spiders, trolls,... are Destruction Allegiance.

What is difference between Allegiance Destruction and the grand alliance destruction?

The Allegiance Destruction is basicly the Grand Alliance Destruction.

The Abilities are quite weak compared to more specific allegiances, but you can use everything that has the Keyword Destruction. (Orruks, Grots, Ogors, Troggoths, Gargants)

The only thing you have to look in case of Matched Play is that you have some units in your army that has the role "Battleline" (the role is shown in the Pitched Battle Profile where the points and unit size is shown too).

29 minutes ago, wuytackc said:

But, they splitted the 'orcs n goblins' into factions...?

The factions were splitted in thematic groups (savage grots with Spiders aka Spiderfang Grots, Troggoths etc.), but partly put together with the last battletomes.

The thing is, that those factions often only have buffs for their own factions. Most of the time it is better to have a more restricted model pool but with a better allegiance (and other Battleline units)

What are the units you mostly have?

• regular Grots with Artillery (Gitmobgrots)
  • regular orruks (Greenskins part of Orruk Warclans but losely because there are no warscrolls for them in the book)
  • Ardboys (Ironjawz part of Orruk Warclans)
  • Savage Orruks (Bonesplitterz part of Orruk Warclans)
  • Grots with frocks and Squigs (Moonclan Grots part of Gloomspite Gitz)
  • Savage Grots with Spiders (Spiderfang Grots part of Gloomspite Gitz)
  • Troggoths (Part of Gloomspite Gitz)
  • Gargants (Part of Gloomspite Gitz and Sons of Behemat
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wuytackc said:

Hi all!

I'm pretty new to the age of sigmar game...

I have played warhammer and have 2 big armies... (Goblins & Dwarfs)

Now i've tried age of sigmar (bought some stuff 😉) and starting to really like it...

I have a LOT of questions and hope to ask them here...

So...

I've also saw in the generals handbook 2020 and rulebook aos that you have several playstyles...? 

Also, you can combine almost every miniature or army with everyone...???

These things are a bit confusing for the old warhammer player here...(thats me 😉

As you can see my text is a bit mixed up, that's cause i have SO many questions that i want to ask all at once... 

Could you tell us what you have? We might be able to make a few suggestions from your stuff and proxies. Dwarves sounds like Cities of Sigmar (warriors to guards or ironbreakers, thunderers to handgunners, quarrelers to crossbowmen, hammerers and longbeards as-is). For your greenskins, it really depends on what you have. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Could you tell us what you have? We might be able to make a few suggestions from your stuff and proxies. Dwarves sounds like Cities of Sigmar (warriors to guards or ironbreakers, thunderers to handgunners, quarrelers to crossbowmen, hammerers and longbeards as-is). For your greenskins, it really depends on what you have. 

Hi,

I have warhammer goblins...so : night goblins, goblins, giants, spidersriders, wolfriders, snotlings, rocklobber, trolls,...

Also dwarfs : warriors, longbeards, ironbreakers, slayers, canon, organ gun, stone thrower, bolt thrower, heroes, miners,...

I saw online that there are free pdf's of army books converted to AOS, but they are 'noted' as warhammer legends : armies of the world that was...

Q : do these "armies" are stand alone armies ?

Q : can i mix the armies with AOS new armies (of the same 'race') ?

Q : if i won't mix of convert them, what can i play in AOS...narative play? open play?...

Q : AOS has several ways to play... I understand the 'points' value games... But I don't understand the games where you can just put on some mini's and game on!... It seems not fair...for example, my wife has daughters of khain and in the beginning we tried a game like that...it was NOT fair cause in my understanding i could take much heavier and more troops...( it IS possible that I made a mistake in understanding the correct rules of that kind of playmodus...🤨)

thank you all for your time and patience !

greetzzz

the old dwarf 😉 

C.

48 minutes ago, wuytackc said:

I have warhammer goblins...so : night goblins, goblins, giants, spidersriders, wolfriders, snotlings, rocklobber, trolls,...

Also dwarfs : warriors, longbeards, ironbreakers, slayers, canon, organ gun, stone thrower, bolt thrower, heroes, miners,...

I saw online that there are free pdf's of army books converted to AOS, but they are 'noted' as warhammer legends : armies of the world that was...

Q : if i won't mix of convert them, what can i play in AOS...narative play? open play?...

Q : AOS has several ways to play... I understand the 'points' value games... But I don't understand the games where you can just put on some mini's and game on!... It seems not fair...for example, my wife has daughters of khain and in the beginning we tried a game like that...it was NOT fair cause in my understanding i could take much heavier and more troops...( it IS possible that I made a mistake in understanding the correct rules of that kind of playmodus...🤨)

I'm first going to cover the dwarves. I know most about them. I think Cities works best for them: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Order/Cities_of_Sigmar

warriors, Can be Guard with sword and shield, or Ironbreakers if you want.

longbeards, Longbeards are still in (Cities of Sigmar)

ironbreakers, Ironbreakers are still in (Cities of Sigmar)

slayers, Probably usable as Fyreslayers

canon, Cannon is sadly no longer in the game, though you can use them as other artillery if you want, but if it was a double set, just put the Organ gun on the carriage

organ gun, Organ guns are almost exactly Helblaster volley guns. Easy proxy

stone thrower, Stone throwers would fit well as Rockets, if you load them with a grenade scattershot, but it maybe more interesting to build one as a Celestial Hurricanum

bolt thrower, There is a Stormcast artillery piece, which are easy to include in Cities.

heroes, Dwarven Engineer, Runelord and Thane are still heroes, Gotrek is a big dude hero nowadays

miners, Longbeards with great weapons. They are old enough by now. Plus, I really like the candles on their heads. Alternative: build a mine entrance and exit for a Soulscream Bridge

As for the Greenskins: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Destruction/Gloomspite_Gitz

Goblins are all Night goblins now, and you still need loads of them

Giants are their own faction, unsure about the size of old giant models vs newer (would be Aleguzzler gargants), but should work, or maybe they are just trolls in your army

Spider Riders are still in

Wolf riders are not, though they might reappear

Snotlings are in Ogre Mawtribes, but could also just be goblins (think they can't be allied)

Honestly, they are bad. Less options, no further support, no interaction with new stuff. I'd just proxy.

A bit. Every faction has allies it can take. They are (almost) never outside the "Grand Alliance" for the moment, but if you keep something as its legacy unit, you can't take it in a new army (except for very specific edge cases)

Theoretically, you can play anything, but the rules did not keep up, and something like the Ironbreakers can no longer be in the same army as a unit of Warriors. Open and Narrative can have more houderules, but I'd just proxy a lot.

I am entirely unfamiliar with AoS 1, where this was the way to play but from what I've read, it was wildly unbalanced. I'd suggest the points value thing. Listbuilding is easy at https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wuytackc said:

To add to what @zilberfrid said:

1. 2. 3. Those "legend" armies are no longer tournament valid. You can only use them in friendly games (if opponent agrees to that). so yes, if you don't proxy then there is only Open and Narrative play for you.

4. Open and Narrative are not about balance, that's why points are not that important. But it doesn't mean you cannot use them. The whole point of Open play is to use whatever miniatures you want and use whatever rules you want. The point of Narrative is to create a story through playing. So sometimes one army can be on disadvantage but still can win (it's similar to  "survive X turns" missions in some video games) General's Handbooks always have sample ideas for those gametypes - for example current GHB has rules for sky battles, multiplayer campaings and creating your own HERO warscrolls. Older GHBs had rules for smaller scale battles, ambush rules, city fight rules (with sample campaign), aerial battles (different to GHB2020 sky battles as they used AoS rules while current are their own game with different rules), additional house rules you can use in your games, name generators and battleplans of specific conflicts  from AoS lore.

• Thanks 1

In Age of Sigmar there are four Grand Alliances. These represent loose to formal alliances within different kinds of races in the world.

Grand Alliance Order - represents those forces that will build cities, create art, "improve the land" and generally are civilised. They are also the most ready to ally and stand with the Stormcast. They are not good nor bad, they have some generally morally neutral forces like the Sylvaneth; through to armies that can be considered quite wicked like the Daughters of Khaine. 

Grand Alliance Chaos - is all the armies of Chaos. From their demonic hosts to their mortal followers to the Skaven rats. If you're a worshipper of Chaos you're in this block. 
Note that in AoS the Great Horned Rat ascended formally to Godhood and is now the 5th major Chaos God. Though unlike the other demons he doesn't appear to have demonic hosts drawn from the Warp, instead Skaven are still mortal creatures born in the realms and they die in the realms too (which means in the Realm of the Dead there is a "skaven underworld" where their dead go. Interestingly this appears one of the few that is holding out and not falling to Nagash and his conquest of all the realms of the dead.

Grand Alliance Death - is all the armies that owe allegiance to Nagash and the realm of the dead. Each army is under his control through various means, though the Flesheaters are not so much under control as a wild insane tool that has to be nudged the right way but isn't really controlled. That's because they are totally insane. 

Grand Alliance Destruction - is all the armies that are less civilised. They are more likely to be nomads or to build crude settlements with no desire to hold land in the traditional way. They won't "improve" or work the land; they will steal, pillage and destroy their own as much as others. They are a wild group. 

Note Destruction, Order and Death will stand united against Chaos. Indeed because of how the Realms work you can have orks settled and operating in human habitations. The universe is far more multi-cultural than the Old World was. That said formal factions still exist and war with each other. 

Now rules wise each Grand Alliance has within it a series of factions/armies. Each army has a Battletome within which outlines the models/units they have and their abilities, equipment, spells, points and soforth. It also notes which armies they can ally with (if any). Whilst you might be in a Grand Alliance, at the political level within armies may only choose some of the other forces to ally with. Ossiarch Bonereapers, for example, cannot ally with any other armies; whilst Stormcast can ally with any army in Grand Alliance Order. 
Note the new Sons of Behemat army for Destruction also can ally one giant into any GA army, though each Grand Alliance has a different giant they can ally; which is themed on their faction. 

Each Grand Alliance also has a Grand Alliance army, which can take models from any force at all. However these armies have generally weaker allegiance abilities. As a result its generally preferable to take armies as full armies, with or without allies, rather than taking Grand Alliance armies. Allies are further limited in points so you can only take a modest number in an army - eg at 2000 points you can only take 400 worth of allies. 

If you head over to the GW website store you can click on each GA and see the armies included within it; clicking on those armies will open up the store page for them and you can see what models comprise each army. AoS just finished updating every army to the new 2.0 rules system and as a result all the armies are now updated with a proper Battletome so its a good time to get a clear idea of what is where.

Within the game GW has adopted a 3 game mode policy for AoS and 40K. Matched - Narrative - Open.

Matched - basically this is the game of old. Formal systems of play, points, etc... Basically all the rules and limits as normal within the game.

Narrative - this is a rather loose term which mostly means "with a story". However there's no set policy. It might be totally matched-play rules just with a campaign story. Or you might be doing fancy things like a growth campaign where you can only buy certain units;

Open - basically whatever you want. No points, all points, balanced or imbalanced sides. 

The three do somewhat intermingle and there's often little set conscenious on the last two; so online most people talk about Matched because it has a formal universal structure that doesn't change club to club. 

Each year GW updates the game with the Generals Handbook, which can introduce new rules, updates the points values for the game and add new battleplans (scenarios for games). Alongside this GW publishes online a free FAQ and Errata for each publication they make. This is important to note because the Generals Handbook is often several months behind the latest updates, so typically after the handbook goes out there's an online points update for several of the more recent tomes/armies. 
This can sound like a lot, but typically FAQ/Errata are not very long and much of it is clarification or small changes. 

Right now I'd say go to the GW store and look at the Destruction forces and see what models you have that fit into each of the armies and see which is best for you. With an old Orks and Goblins army you might feel a bit annoyed that one army is now two and some things have been lost. That said it gives you two options to expand from - into the Gloomspite Gitz or into the Orruks. OR even into both. 

• Thanks 1

I'm sure people who can better articulate it said better than me but time to throw my opinion at it.

Welcome back!  AoS is loads of fun and the complexity is deep.  It starts easy and friendly though, 100% better than Warhammer Fantasy Battles.  for example you can start with Warcry and a handful of models, or try Paths to Glory and get a sense of the units, or play uh.. mmm there was a 1000 point version but I don't think it took well.  Even just 1k in small friendly games.  The key will be finding some casual players and starting out.  People will have the rules and stuff you'll need and good people will help you along.

I would recommend you pick up the core rules, make sure you are aware of the Endless Spell mechanic (not sure if they are in the Core Rules PDF).  Second because you said Dwarfs I would highly recommend you focus on Cities of Sigmar and while this is a bit depressing consider selling your O&G.  Both those armies got significant changes for AoS.  Or at least don't consider them much.  Cities of Sigmar has 6 cities to play in and a couple at least that benefit Dwarfs well.  A few Dwarf things ended up in the Legends compendium.  

The problem with old Orcs is they are best used as Boyz for 40k.  Orcs changed significantly and the old style of goblins also.  You could use the regular goblins proxied as Gloomspitz.  

Things to consider: do you have a large local gaming area?  Do they have Narrative players?  If so then legends is fine.  Also if you find some laid back players they may let you use GHB 2019 and build whatever O&G army you want for Matched Play.  There are local Tomb King players and I highly push them to play that army vs me or proxy it as Ossiarch Bonereapers.  I am not hung up about who does what really, it's a game and we are having fun.

Consider looking up some battle reports (bat reps) on youtube and watching them.  See about maybe Gloomspitz Gitz or Cities of Sigmar until you find some that have models you own or want to try.  I think Greywater Fastness or Temptest Eye are the more Dwarf (now called Duardin) cities.  

As for bases, you will over time find you'll need to rebase stuff.  for now don't worry about it, find a friendly few people and play and enjoy :)

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the help. I bought my first battletome Gloomspite gitz. I started to read the stories...😱

...and yes, when i read i have questions...🤓

Q : allegiance abilities —> battle traits : “The bad moon rises” the bad moon say “if any of the armies in a battle are gloomspite gitz armies, at the start of the first battle round......” do they mean, if i or my opponent has an complete gloomspite gitz army or do i only need a few units of gloomspite gitz to get the abilities?

Q : on a rol of 2-5the bad moon makes 1 move, on a 6 she makes 2 moves...? Moves how far? 5 inch? 3 inch? And what marker or model do i need for the bad moon?

and again, thank you all for your time!

greetzzz

C.

14 hours ago, wuytackc said:

Q : allegiance abilities —> battle traits : “The bad moon rises” the bad moon say “if any of the armies in a battle are gloomspite gitz armies, at the start of the first battle round......” do they mean, if i or my opponent has an complete gloomspite gitz army or do i only need a few units of gloomspite gitz to get the abilities?

Yes, the bad moon rules only apply if the whole army (not including any allies) are Gloomspite Gitz.

14 hours ago, wuytackc said:

Q : on a rol of 2-5the bad moon makes 1 move, on a 6 she makes 2 moves...? Moves how far? 5 inch? 3 inch? And what marker or model do i need for the bad moon?

If you look at the diagram on the same page it shows the positions the bad moon can be in. Essentially the bad moon moves in a diagonal line across the battlefield, starting in one corner, then to the centre of a table quarter, then dead centre, then to the centre of a table quarter, then off the opposite diagonal corner from where it started. The dice roll determines whether it moves, not how far. The distance is fixed to the steps I mentioned above. That sounds more complicated than it is, the diagram in the battletome is easier to understand.

• Thanks 1