Tale of X online gamers

Kramer

1 hour ago, Maxi99 said:

Slight change to the plan, new goal is this lot. Primed and ready to start tomorrow!

Hag Queen

5 Khinerai

5 Blood Sisters

6FF0D5B6-BD38-4786-B790-667B79CBCF7E.jpeg

already thought about changing mine as well 😂
Weird question though. Is that the right base size on the hag queen? 

Edited by Kramer

37 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Is that the right base size on the hag queen? 

Nope, should be 25mm and the others should be on 40mm... But I’m doing all the bases separately so just super glued them all to spare 32s to paint

• Like 1

Ok- first model! Magister on Disc of Tzeentch! Doing a few sub-assemblies as I really want to see how i do with a super-colourful, mega-blended, detailed character model, and getting clear access to the armour panels and cloak will be important. I need to figure out how to mount the staff and sword when im painting them- hopefully some white tac will be ok and not stick to the paint too much.IMG_20200531_165259.jpg.74738938a3f40c4c5cc30f429f8dc719.jpg

Also have this chrome pen i got a while ago and wanted to use for a tzeentch inspired base for Archaon, but still haven't got to that model yet.  It really is liquid chrome- super reflective and really easy to draw on a surface. I tried it on a base and it works really well! Not sure if I'll use it on this model, but might see if it work on something else to make a mirror-reflective surface. 

IMG_20200531_165312.jpg.25c6d06d3de7960354b931ecee446851.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1

Well, my friends, come one and come all to witness the tale of tragedy and woe! No, not my army lore, but my army choice! lol Warning...might be a long post.

These past few weeks have been wild. I have combed over all the options, weighed conversions and time and play style and lore. It also didn't help that my LGS has almost bare shelves and orders are starting to get a bit bare in the supply chain as GW starts to start back up. 

But demons? Nothing really clicked or felt interesting enough. Chaos is super common around here anyways. Orcs? Had some conversions in mind, but AoS Orruks don't do the fun stuff that I love Orks for (weird tech, bizarre units, weird rules). 

Skaven and Gloomspite had the weird, but relied heavily on hordes. KO and Sylvaneth all have great things, but uncertain I want a full army of them. Fyreslayers are too samey, Nighthaunt is too flimsy, and Bonereapers too busted (lol). 

Which left me looking at expanding my Cities of Sigmar. I have a lot of lore I never really put out in the open, and a lot of angles to do models with. But expanding the Cities starts to dive into the same units (Freeguild Guard/Eternal/Dreadspears/Longbeards...all chaff. LOTS of overlap for each subfaction.) I also have a solid pile of Stormcast that I never really dove deep on because they were a bit...underwhelming? 

So, not gonna lie, I was feeling pretty disheartened. I love the hobby, but nothing was sparking me which really throws a wrench in the machine. So, after a long debate, I decided to look at this differently. Not as a way to get a specific brand new army, but to flesh out the aspects that I HAVE fallen in love with, the stories and unique bits that I have made. So, while I do plan to aim for a 2,000 point army list, my GOAL will be to finish the Cities I have, expand each section of my city (more on that below), and put the Stormcast to use as a grounding center, both model wise and lorewise, for my Order collection. Hopefully, as well, the Stormcast will go by fast. 

SO! My goals and pledges for this Tale of X (Online) Gamers goes like this:
Have a painted 2,000 point Stormcast Eternals list 
Write a short story for my Stormcast/Cities for each month
Introduce at least one part of the city with each month's pledge with some themed models to paint
Hopefully end up with little to no painted Cities of Sigmar models by the end OR build all the conversions I planned for my Cities army for painting later

I do not have a specific list for the Stormcast, but I have some basic units to paint to get me started! I will be doing Tempest Lords, which ironically turned out perfect for my Cities army after I laid everything out, as both coming from Hyshian nobles (city is in Hysh) but also blue for the Lore of Heavens. How fitting! 

Here is a base start for the City and the Stormcast: 

The city of Aval'Atun was once a testament to perfect balance and prosperity, a symbol of the Mortal Realms United. The metropolis stood in the center of an expansive desert, with the gleaming city as the only beacon of civilization for leagues around. The city itself was built around a brilliant crystal spire and at the top of that spire sat a massive stone dais. Legend says that this dais came from The World That Was and its 8 sections, colored with magical runes, each denoted symbols and magic from each of the 8 Mortal Realms. Around the spire, the city was built into 8 perfect sections, each joined to reflect the different sections of the dais. From the crystal spire, energies from across the realms poured forth, bathing each portion in a wash of their own separate Realm's energy. The city was a masterpiece before even a single building was created.

Over the years, the city stood for harmony as denizens from all 8 realms lived together in peace, sharing their knowledge and homelands for the rest to enjoy. The mighty city stood against assaults from all forces and even endured much of the Age of Chaos. Ironically, the constant battering did not break the walls, but instead broke the spirits, collapsing the city from within through intercity strife and anger. The city of Aval'Atun fell one century before Sigmar would move to reclaim the Mortal Realms.

Now the bright light of Hysh shines down on Aval'Atun once more. Sigmar demanded the gem of Hysh be reclaimed and sent a contingent of Tempest Lords to ensure that the city shine once again. The Tempest Lords were quick to see it was not iron rule and absolutes that kept Aval'Atun in perfect balance, but delicate care and cohesive respect amongst all of its people. So, as citizens from across the Mortal Realms come to the gleaming city and settle in to a home away from home, the Tempest Lords stand as the arbitrators of an uneasy, burgeoning peace. But many differences make for constant conflict...

Will the city stand strong in the face of the ever looming threats? Or will the forces of Chaos and Destruction see the city crumble to dust once and for all...

The city is based off of the colleges of Magic in the Old World Empire. 8 districts representing the 8 winds/realms, each with their own culture, personality, and of course, their own caste of battlemages. Mages rule as the premiere users of the forces that give their city power. 

To start off this Tale, I will have Lord-Ordinator Argul Vale, accompanied by 5 Sequitors and 5 Evocators. My stormcast will definitely be Sacrosanct based, as that is what tipped me to REALLY enjoying the Stormcast. 

1284516981_TaleofXGamersMonth1.jpg.69afdedf09ef86fbe1f2d392b8b89007.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

Awesome work everyone. Been building a lot of 40k recently as I am liking what they're changing. I have begun the Ironbreakers but 30 will be the most I've batch painted in sometime so I'll need to stay consistent to get them done (with my usual distractions being the biggest threat)

Also to the person doing Tzeentch in the Realm of Life please convert up a Modern Aekold Helbrass!

Aekold_Helbrass_Chaos_5th_Edition_illustration.png

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

Awesome work everyone. Been building a lot of 40k recently as I am liking what they're changing. I have begun the Ironbreakers but 30 will be the most I've batch painted in sometime so I'll need to stay consistent to get them done (with my usual distractions being the biggest threat)

Also to the person doing Tzeentch in the Realm of Life please convert up a Modern Aekold Helbrass!

Aekold_Helbrass_Chaos_5th_Edition_illustration.png

This sounds like a great idea! Need to find some suitable models to kitbash...

1 hour ago, LoopyZebra said:

"What's your list?"

"Well, I got 3 Whoop Swooshes, 6 Whoop Whoops, and 20 Little Whoops."

"Aren't they called something else?"

"No."

‘I’ll attack your whoop whoops with my ring dings and your little whoops with my ding dong....’ 

this game is brought to you by the country that brought you mr. Bean and monty python. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

My dudes, i feel like I'm spamming. Y'all gotta get some pics up in here. Here's the dude riding the whoop swoosh. 

IMG_20200605_232717.jpg.2e4b466e4e6d89c489777fab5899d3ce.jpg

Yeah day one of the challenge started... I suddenly had work again 😂. Between that and a teething baby I’m not really getting any painting done... yet! 

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

My dudes, i feel like I'm spamming. Y'all gotta get some pics up in here. Here's the dude riding the whoop swoosh. 

That is some sweet free hand. I’ve been painting a Kairic Acolyte and have been dawdling over what to add to the shield. Interested in your C&C:

B85CAFA4-0661-401A-A703-5CD361E0D505.jpeg.095403e7fb89d9155bdb21a828ae37d7.jpeg

After seeing yours, I am tempted to do some swirly line work too!

In other news, I am happy with how her sword came out:

33B670C7-667C-4D58-AFC6-9024945C836B.jpeg.17af21da14072023e0b42ea18694b0cc.jpeg

Edited by Ggom
Embiggened pictures
  • LOVE IT! 2

9 hours ago, Ggom said:

That is some sweet free hand. I’ve been painting a Kairic Acolyte and have been dawdling over what to add to the shield. Interested in your C&C:

B85CAFA4-0661-401A-A703-5CD361E0D505.jpeg.095403e7fb89d9155bdb21a828ae37d7.jpeg

After seeing yours, I am tempted to do some swirly line work too!

In other news, I am happy with how her sword came out:

33B670C7-667C-4D58-AFC6-9024945C836B.jpeg.17af21da14072023e0b42ea18694b0cc.jpeg

This looks amazing! NMM work is lush!

Swirly lines are very easy- I just have to make sure the paint is a decent balance of watered down so it flows easily but not so much that the line is too faint to see. I might mix it up on the shields- your eye on the shield is beautiful. I was looking at the battletome for some inspiration- p26/27 has some cool inspiration. I'm planning on tattooing my acolytes similar to the dudes head shown on those pages. 

• Like 1

As promised first progress made! 
just two thin coats and a wash on the gold so far. 
D06F13B0-53C9-4351-9FD3-F901534B3B5A.jpeg.87b1bc5efd9a97ed9d115326cb95451a.jpeg

although not originally planned for this month,  I’m mostly trying to squeeze the crew in as that would mean painting the last three sacrosanct robed models together. 

Those robes are my goal for today. 3 layers, so it’s all about finding 3x15 minuten spread out over the day. 💪

• Like 3

A bit of progress to show: the first Sequitor! Rather like the Tempest Lords scheme. Technically my second model in it as I did a Knight Incantor for my Cities army. Hopefully I can find my groove again and start to crank them out. I got....so many projects I want to cover and very little time to do them all in. We'll see how it all pans out!

878491733_WarlordsTest1.jpg.5e3a3aecd770ca8c0fdd26ecae0069ae.jpg

• Like 3