Warhammer Age of Sigmar Soulbound is now LIVE!

32 minutes ago, Beliman said:

and most of them are 500+ points characters that can remove entire units with a swing, and that gets old faster and doesn't have that "cinematic" view that you look for in a wargame.

Can’t agree there, mate. Godly characters sending armies flying is peak cinematic fantasy wargame for me. xD 

image.gif.2e4f68cfedaf78f63c451a1c6d29bc56.gif

That every trooper(in both AoS & Soulbound) has a chance to pull off that godly smiting is just icing on the mythological cake.

But yeah, if you want lore then Soulbound books definitely don’t leave you wanting. Like if you invested in the Anvilgard supplements before Broken Realms went down you would have a heads up on the characters and forces that appear later in BR that help Morathi-Khaine annex the city.

Big plus here is that all this info on the Draconith is just 1 archetype. There’s a whole bunch more coming in the Era of Beasts supplement from playing Melusai with their shadowy temples in every free city to the Warsongs spreading Ghyran’s life song through the Realms to awaken them and resist Chaos.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

I always hate a good Cubic 7 thread!

They put out some amazing art work and their attention to detail in their stuff is fantastic. These threads always makes me want to buy their books, but I just can't do it as it feels a waste as I'd never play an RPG. (I did buy one of the WFRP books and some of their WFB maps and the quality was amazing but the cost of them is high for not having an interest in the core of the book)

Sometimes I wish they were in charge of putting out more books on the miniatures side of the universe as well.

I also second Beliman and say I collect them for the art and lore. Humble has had 1 or 2 bundles of them I got, and I preordered the Great Parch map before release :) The ebook versions afaik are slightly cheaper too, unlike other GW books. 

And honestly, you can basically pick and choose what you even want to buy! If you only like Destruction you can pick out the supplements that involve Destro and that's all.

That being said, I have played a game and it's VERY fun & simple to follow. I may not play another game but I know I'll be buying any bundles I see in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Can’t agree there, mate. Godly characters sending armies flying is peak cinematic fantasy wargame for me.

Killing one unit with a swing is fine to show the audience how badass the villain is, call it Sauron-swing, or Thanos stomping Hulk&Loki.

But let's be honest here, 1vs1 on foot is what we usually see as a confrontation between the villain (or the big fighty-dude) and the Hero/ine on a lot of action/fantasy/sci-fi movies, and that's something that it's hard to see on the tables (unless both player agree on doing it):

Spoiler

09.jpg.e16e6a93b4d128308a607c2585f18b9c.jpg07.jpg.4613b2de2625a0b50d1de94bbc8e2dd4.jpg01.jpg.3a72afeae4a69b867b2d001f748e6dd1.jpg02.jpg.08e008c6cbea35e2d74fc41467d2033a.jpg03.jpg.4193467403ba10dc607c9b4227b06bab.jpg04.jpg.74d33b84a24401f11cc7075e8dd0da07.jpg05.jpg.55a90074e0666d4967133991a6679a6a.jpg06.jpg.c9ba2c4ef8ffe6a3e3929c9be98f8c7b.jpg08.jpg.790df8bbf52e9042d3cb5e8666c2ae27.jpg10.jpg.c2df3b76477d249beba8611e66106023.jpg

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

But let's be honest here, 1vs1 on foot is what we usually see as a confrontation between the villain (or the big fighty-dude) and the Hero/ine

Fair point and opinion.

But counter-point: Age of Sigmar is about the clash of Gods, their demigod armies and avatars that reshape the Realms and very fabric of reality in their wake almost everyday.

And though not everyone’s cup of Ghyranis tea, AoS delivers on the epic cosmic battles of Marvel cinematic, God of War and Dark Souls level craziness and then some that truly makes out what a high fantasy adventure this is with Soulbound playing as superheroes crushing hordes of monsters & stoping walking mountains of metal on a Tuesday. ;)

gamefkjmb.jpg

7WCV0hJmEtIbaHNT.jpg
image.jpeg.c65791b34889b9972ab10788963d46c3.jpeg

bCOGl2v1avallKZ3.jpg

qiqtlrgqxjf81.jpg

(Don’t need three guesses to know who won that bout. Grimnir’s avatar adds two impressive trophies to his repertoire of Realm slays)

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 8:55 AM, Baron Klatz said:

But counter-point: Age of Sigmar is about the clash of Gods, their demigod armies and avatars that reshape the Realms and very fabric of reality in their wake almost everyday.

Completely agree!

Even if I'm a Marvel fan, the only God of War that I really enjoyed is GoW 2018, that says a lot about me, but it is what it is.

But to continue with this conversation, Dark Souls/Elden Ring is exactly what I miss in AoS: their gods are this entities that can't destroy entire civilizations anymore (even if they did in the past), they are a shadow of themself, decaying gods, aberrations that don't understand that their time has already ended, waiting to be killed by a tarnished/hollow. That's how gods should be: (almost) dead.

What can I say, I play KOs. But remember, Trust aethermatics, not supersitions!!!

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

K.O not believing/accepting actual walking around Gods is one of the funnier parts of AOS for sure. Would love to see more of them in a 2nd wave

They accept that Gods are real, they just don't care for them.

I'd be pretty upset too if my God had deliberately left my ancestors out to dry because "the surviving 5% of you who aren't killed/enslaved/damned need to toughen up".

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Soulbound tweet that Clara-Marie is the cover artist for Era of the Beast as she continues on from her already amazing art done for Champions of Death.

(Hopefully the connection is enough to get us more Avengorii dynasty and Vengorian Lord supplements as Ghur is their domain🤞)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Having GM'd through the starter I can say it is one of the better ones I have encountered. Solid bit of story and good background for it. The main 'dungeon' is a randomized experience and the major plot twist having five mutually exclusive ways to play out, so very customizable/replayable.

Worth note it is also a more forgiving way to get into the system as a GM, with lots of bits specifically written with learning GMs in mind. Given the system is generally one not friendly to new GMs, these bits can really help!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 1 month later...

Could someone tell me a bit more about getting started with this game? What should i buy at a minimun? What is recommended? Do i need minis for this? Any good bundles out there?

I know next to nothing anout dnd like games and would like to try it sometime. Its good to see that this doesnt need an experienced gm. I also like that is see a lot of support for this game. 

Also how does this game compare to dnd or pathfinder? 

Thanks!

Completely different gameplay mechanics than DnD or Pathfinder. Though something I appreciate is while those games often deliver a sentiment of the party being 'random adventurers' who just happen to be abnormally powerful, Soulbound ditches the pretense and flat out tells the PCs that they ARE more powerful. Which also explains why they get 'quests' all the time; that's what they exist for!

At any rate, you'll want to get the starter set and go from there.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Could someone tell me a bit more about getting started with this game? What should i buy at a minimun? What is recommended? Do i need minis for this? Any good bundles out there?

I know next to nothing anout dnd like games and would like to try it sometime. Its good to see that this doesnt need an experienced gm. I also like that is see a lot of support for this game. 

Also how does this game compare to dnd or pathfinder? 

Thanks!

I got into the game through a humble bundle, which contained a bunch of adventures and a few rule books. I think it's completely feasible to start with just the core book. After that, from the books I have, this would be my ranking of how useful they are:

• Core book: Necessary to play, but has everything you need to get started.
  • Bestiary: Stats blocks for monsters and how to use them in your campaigns. I recommend this book for new GMs, it will save you a lot of effort. The core book has some monsters in it, but this book has stats for basically every AoS antagonist or monster.
  • Champions of Order: More player-facing options, character creation stuff. I suspect the other Champions books (Death, Destruction) are similar. I would recommend not overloading yourself with options for your first few games, though.
  • Steam and Steel: Crafting, alchemy, vehicles. Nice to have, not necessary.

In my opinion, Soulbound is a good alternative to DnD 5e or Pathfinder, in so far as it is designed to realize the same kind of high-fantasy adventures as DnD. However, I think Soulbound has an overall better, more modern, and more lightweight design, as well as better GM support. There is still enough complexity in Soulbound for combat and character building to feel satisfying, however.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was very impressed with the quality of the starter set (granted I don't have much to compare it too as I've only really seem the d&d 5e one otherwise!)  But it has a suite of pre-made characters with nice, fold out, full colour character sheets, a detailed campaign booklet with enough stuff to run through a pretty rigorous little adventure, and a mini lore/setting booklet with more background information.  Plus some fancy dice if you're of a sort to enjoy fancy dice.  I found the whole package very well put together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i don't play soulbound but i'm always interested by class design. ATM i'm searching Random Number Generator based class(like Arcana from lost ark, wild mage in D&D etc)., is there anything like that in soulbound?

Edited by Freemeta

11 minutes ago, Freemeta said:

i don't play soulbound but i'm always interested by class design. ATM i'm searching RNG based class(like arcana from lost ark, wild mage in D&D etc)., is there anything like that in soulbound?

Off the top of my head, I don't think so (but I have not read all Soulbound books; maybe there is one in the Destruction book?).

Soulbound is different from DnD in so far that, while Soulbound has classes (archetypes), they are fundamentally just pre-builts for a more free form, point-based character creation system. This means that fundamentally, every character can gain access to pretty much any ability that would be a "class feature" in DnD just by spending XP, but it also means that those "class features" are overall less dramatic in how they change the play style of that character. So dramatic "class features" like wild magic a bit harder to implement in this system.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Freemeta said:

in old warhammer rpg it was really dangerous to use maigc,so maybe there was a magic system showing that (chaotic magic, maybe tzeench related, whim of the gods, could be the prince of cats etc, AOS setting is incredibly vaste). thanks.

Magic failure tables are in the game and they can have wacky effects like summoning endless spells. Not exactly wild magic, though.

• Like 1