Startting my first warhammer army, Flesh eater courts, any advice?

rfkannen

So I have decided to start the plunge and start my first warhammer army by getting a start collecting flesh eater courts. It was a toss between them and gloomspite, and after figuring out gloomspite would have costed like 10000 times as much it was an easy choice lol.

My plan is to get a start collecting box. I know the terrorgheist is a better unit, but I think I am going to build the zombie dragon as I like the model more. Not sure how ill build the rest of the models (would love tips)

Any advise? What should I get after the start collecting box?

• Like 2

Beat me to it. xD

Flesh Eaters are fast to collect and have a massive amount of options for the models you use.

Once you got the Arch-Regent as your super durable spellcasting hero and the throne then it's just a matter of choosing which Grand Court to focus your noble army on(deadlier knights? Faster troops? Zombie dragon battleline?) and begin the royal banquet in your realm. ;)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, whiskeytango said:

Well, now that the Arch-regent is available on it's own, definitely grab him and the Bone Throne. From there, you could probably buy another SC, and a 20 pack of ghouls, and call it good for a lonnnng time.

Cool! How many points is that?

13 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Beat me to it. xD

Flesh Eaters are fast to collect and have a massive amount of options for the models you use.

Once you got the Arch-Regent as your super durable spellcasting hero and the throne then it's just a matter of choosing which Grand Court to focus your noble army on(deadlier knights? Faster troops? Zombie dragon battleline?) and begin the royal banquet in your realm. ;)

zombie dragon battleline sounds rad! any tips for making that work?

1 minute ago, rfkannen said:

Cool! How many points is that?

zombie dragon battleline sounds rad! any tips for making that work?

So, its somewhere between 1500-2000pts, depending how you build it. Nothing to sneeze at.

Zombie Dragons and TG's become battleline in the Gristlegore grand court. I will say be careful running that. It is far and away the most competitive FEC build, and makes you a target for "THAT guy" accusations. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Yeah, gotta take it easy with that to not look a try-hard but man if it isn't cool.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/12/12th-feb-a-mordant-menagerie-building-a-flesh-eater-courts-armygw-homepage-post-3/

Yeah and Tyrants of Blood is really powerful too, but at the same time running 3 Bloodthirsters (maybe even SKARBRAND) is flipping sweet so.... 

Rule of cool!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, i'm not saying don't do it, i'm just saying be cognizant of what you're doing when you do it. Double attacking, striking first monsters don't usually make for a super fun play experience for your opponent, so if thats a concern of yours, Gristlegore (or Reapers of Vengeance Tyrants) might not be for you, despite having battle line TG's and ZD's. 

Edited by whiskeytango
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, whiskeytango said:

Well, i'm not saying don't do it, i'm just saying be cognizant of what you're doing when you do it. Double attacking, striking first monsters don't usually make for a super fun play experience for your opponent, so if thats a concern of yours, Gristlegore (or Reapers of Vengeance Tyrants) might not be for you, despite having battle line TG's and ZD's. 

Oh yeah I don't want to play something that would be annoying.

Would the army whiskeytango be unfun to play against? I don't really understand the rules of the game (I haven't bought any of the books yet, plan to do that next month), I mostly just want some fun models to paint lol.

Btw, is it a bad idea to build one of each type of thing a model can be? Like I would rather build 1 crypt horror, 1 cyrpt flayer, and 1 courtier, so I could have a variety of models. but it sounds like that isn't a good strategy and it is better to build them all as one thing?

also is there lore about how to paint them? Like is it tied to the courts? If it is, what do the gristlegore look like?

12 minutes ago, rfkannen said:

Would the army whiskeytango be unfun to play against? I don't really understand the rules of the game (I haven't bought any of the books yet, plan to do that next month), I mostly just want some fun models to paint lol.

Btw, is it a bad idea to build one of each type of thing a model can be? Like I would rather build 1 crypt horror, 1 cyrpt flayer, and 1 courtier, so I could have a variety of models. but it sounds like that isn't a good strategy and it is better to build them all as one thing?

also is there lore about how to paint them? Like is it tied to the courts? If it is, what do the gristlegore look like?

Usually the lore is in their battletome with lots of pictures. Some more than others. The original Ironjawz battletome went more further into depth about it than the Orruk Warclans one, but I think it's because they crammed 2 armies into 1 and had less room for the "fluff" so to speak. 

4 hours ago, rfkannen said:

As far as building one of each type in most cases you will need/want to have the base unit size.  For both Crypt Horrors and Crypt Flayers that will be 3 models each.  That said if you’re just talking about your first Start Collecting Box it may be possible to build the two Courtiers (been awhile since I built mine so can’t remember if their parts overlap, sorry, but should be evident from instructions) and that’s more fun for you go ahead and have fun.

If the Courtier parts do overlap than I would recommend starting with the Crypt Infernal Courtier and two Crypt Flayers.  Then look on eBay where a cheap 3rd Crypt Flayers can often be picked up to fill out the unit.  In general I’ve found Flayers more useful than Horrors, though opinions may vary.   That said I feel confident in saying Flayers are more fun to paint which seems to be something you’re into.

And yes, the tome does give different color patterns for different Grand Courts but no need to feel beholden to them.  My FEC army is themed after Robinhood so forest greens and autumnal reds dominate my color palette despite running a Gristelgore list, which the tome suggests should be a bluish-grey I just wasn’t into.

Oh yeah, wholly agree that next piece after SC box is Abhorrant Archregent.  Resin annoying but also think worth considering a Varghulf Courtier as they are both another fun model to paint and a good potential Courtier to summon.

Finally, at least one of your Royal Zombie Dragons or Royal Terrorgheists should probably be able to have an Abhorrant Ghoul King Mounted on them.

Side note.  Not sure whether you love painting small details (if so feel free to ignore) but when it came to the Crypt Ghouls I found contrast paints to be a lifesaver.  If you start with a lighter tone for the body a lot of the details can be easily done using a darker tone.  FEC was the first Army I completely painted on my own, and I doubled down on difficulty by having a tournament deadline I had to meet.  Wouldn’t have made it without that little trick as it made the first base coat so much less stressful.

I did my FEC with two layers of Contrast Skeleton Horde (two layers so it was darker) then picked out the "hair" (?) with Contrast Goregrunta Brown and the rest of the details with various Base or Layer paints from the other Citadel line. Not real hard to do, especially if I could do it. lol It's a quick paint job too, but there are lots of bodies to paint for a 2k army so time can be a factor still. I have 80 ghouls overall plus heroes and terrorgheist and zombie dragon. 

Heavily recommend the Varghulf Courtier... he's a good fighter on his own and has got some serious regeneration properties for the rest of your army. The Archregent is also most excellent for his spell casting and summoning abilities. 

Also... you can build one of each Courtier from the Start Collecting box without worrying about overlapping parts. You'll have a spare "knight" body to make into a Flayer or Horror or you could convert it into a Varghulf Courtier with some putty, time, and imagination. Then you would have one of each of the big Courtiers for your army and be able to expand out to Horrors and/or Flayers after that.  

8 hours ago, rfkannen said:

Depends on how big collection you want, if you are one of the maniacs like me who want to build huge armies - than you will want to have at least 2 Haunter and 1 Infernal Courtiers to be able to field Cannibal Court battalion which is over 5000 points. If not - you better search for spare model on the internet or split a box with someone. But no matter what way you choose - for your first couple of units don't build courtiers - instead buy a Varghulf, this way you'll be able to rise your point count faster.

5 hours ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Side note.  Not sure whether you love painting small details (if so feel free to ignore) but when it came to the Crypt Ghouls I found contrast paints to be a lifesaver.  If you start with a lighter tone for the body a lot of the details can be easily done using a darker tone.  FEC was the first Army I completely painted on my own, and I doubled down on difficulty by having a tournament deadline I had to meet.  Wouldn’t have made it without that little trick as it made the first base coat so much less stressful.

Ill try those out! I  have one contrast so far, Guillman flesh, and it has been a lifesaver, ill try out another one!

3 hours ago, Sgtmjrcain said:

I did my FEC with two layers of Contrast Skeleton Horde (two layers so it was darker) then picked out the "hair" (?) with Contrast Goregrunta Brown and the rest of the details with various Base or Layer paints from the other Citadel line. Not real hard to do, especially if I could do it. lol It's a quick paint job too, but there are lots of bodies to paint for a 2k army so time can be a factor still. I have 80 ghouls overall plus heroes and terrorgheist and zombie dragon. 

Heavily recommend the Varghulf Courtier... he's a good fighter on his own and has got some serious regeneration properties for the rest of your army. The Archregent is also most excellent for his spell casting and summoning abilities. 

Ill give that a try! I want to do something where I divide my whole army into squads and paint them diffrent (not sure what the divisions will be yet) but Ill try that for one!

oh that sounds cool, giant bad monster is laso rad!

49 minutes ago, XReN said:

Depends on how big collection you want, if you are one of the maniacs like me who want to build huge armies - than you will want to have at least 2 Haunter and 1 Infernal Courtiers to be able to field Cannibal Court battalion which is over 5000 points. If not - you better search for spare model on the internet or split a box with someone. But no matter what way you choose - for your first couple of units don't build courtiers - instead buy a Varghulf, this way you'll be able to rise your point count faster.

Ah yeah I was mostly aiming for 1000 points first, stay there for a bit, and then build up to 2k, so I should probbably wait on that

5 hours ago, rfkannen said:

If gristlegore is a bit much, any tips on a buying order for a diffrent 1k flesh-eater army? 

Blisterkin probably your next best bet, and particularly good if you’re focusing on 1K initially.

Makes Flayers battleline so you’ll want to focus there fir initial build out post SC box.  Abhorrant Archregent and Varghulf Courtier just as appealing in Blisterkin as Gristelgore.