Starcast - The Thread

Turragor

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

I like that javelin prosecutors a lot model wise, but when I used them, they always failed me. I feel like you really need a way to reroll with them.

Yea with only 6 models I expect a lot of rolls that end up whiffing. Is there a good source of re-rolls for them I could look into?

1 minute ago, XcaliburNick said:

Yea with only 6 models I expect a lot of rolls that end up whiffing. Is there a good source of re-rolls for them I could look into?

For shooting attacks we only have the knight azyros sadly. I don't remember if using the "boon" for having a list wth points worth below your opponents works for shooting attacks.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, XcaliburNick said:

Since you cannot add a Knight Azyros and don't have access to rerolls, It might be better to split the Prosecutors. Use them as a mobile reinforcement plaftorm (a bit of shooting here and there) as well as a highly mobile objective taking unit. Sure the others can do it too (Drakes+ Prime) but they'll usually end up being busy fighting somewhere.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

People around here are starting to organise events on TTS so I will be bringing the StormKroak list to a 3-games tournament this weekend and to a 6-weeks league. For the second, 6-players pools have just been drawn and... I have a bad feeling about this :D

image.png.db21a41766a5a8fef1b0deb0ea0ebaf1.png

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marcvs said:

People around here are starting to organise events on TTS so I will be bringing the StormKroak list to a 3-games tournament this weekend and to a 6-weeks league. For the second, 6-players pools have just been drawn and... I have a bad feeling about this :D

image.png.db21a41766a5a8fef1b0deb0ea0ebaf1.png

Pre-Kroak I'd have been very worried but with I'm a bit more confident you'll have a good showing. Play carefully!

• Like 1

OK so, I brought the StormKroak list to a 3-games tournament on TTS here in France (first game on Friday night, two today). This is different from the League which I mentioned before, which will run for a few weeks.

My list, if anyone needs to see it again, was the following:

Spoiler

Les Etoiles Mourantes
Marcvs
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
LEADERS
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
- Mount Trait : Storm-winged
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell : Azyrite Halo
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales

Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies
UNITS
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Everblaze Comet (100)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

I bring home a 2-1 result and 9th place, which, once you factor in that this is my first tournament and the Stormcast situation, is… not bad. It was also the best placement for Stormcasts -the other two SCE lists being some variation of Shootcast. Many thanks to all those who gave me advice on the forum, and of course, particularly to @Turragor

The list felt good and fun to play, although it plays quite cagey (especially in the first rounds) and strategic. Here’s a short writeup, happy to give more details if you’re curious.

Game 1: vs Nighthaunt in The Better Part of Valour. Major victory (22-2), tabled my opponent by t3. This was a good matchup (all those fragile heroes…) but in all honesty I think the victory (or, at least, the distance) comes largely from mistakes of my opponent who developed the typical tunnel vision for the Celestant. In fact, this is the scenario which I find more difficult with a Starcast list, as it’s way to easy to sneak in a 10-men unit and just burn my objectives. Oh well, a lucky draw for the first game I suppose.

20200417202723_1.jpg.0b0a7295924a1cef887c44ec05c01282.jpg

Game 2: vs Tzeentch (yes, Eternal Conflagration and Changehost, 2 drops, 12 flamers, 2 exalted, 20 pinks) in Three Places of Power. Major Defeat (22-0), got tabled by t3 (with both Stardrakes dead on t2 ). This was a very unlucky pairing, as I think I would have had a good chance in this scenario against most other armies. It could of course have played better and have a little bit more luck (a double turn in t2 would have helped to hold on a little longer) but still, this list feels just too powerful for my army / present skill level.

20200418104759_1.jpg.c1b9b807b0c91bc507157df17d546802.jpg

Game 3: vs Ogor Mawtribes (but not a full OBR list, only one stonehorn around). Major Victory (27-14) and opponent tabled in t4. I was quite confident when I saw the list (lists were only revealed at the moment of the pairings). Managed to kill the small heroes (Butcher, Tyrant) on t1 and to tie-in the Stonehorn with the Templar after he charged a poor unit of liberators -while killing him with MWs. The ogor ability on objectives made for a stressful mid-game (I was behind by t3) but ultimately I only lost a single unit of liberators so in the end I had more bodies than my opponent :D

20200418151640_1.jpg

Edited by Marcvs
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 minutes ago, Maturin said:

@Marcvs How are the distance measured in TTS ?

you just keep tab pressed and move the mouse and it measures the distance between the starting point and your position. As long as different heights are not involved, it's pretty easy and precise. Both you and your opponent can see the distance traveled (it draws a line)

edit: found a screenshot where this is visible :)20200404202011_1.jpg.0854048ee73ab47406469584590b9fc7.jpg

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2020 at 7:34 PM, Marcvs said:

OK so, I brought the StormKroak list to a 3-games tournament on TTS here in France (first game on Friday night, two today). This is different from the League which I mentioned before, which will run for a few weeks.

My list, if anyone needs to see it again, was the following:

Reveal hidden contents

Les Etoiles Mourantes
Marcvs

- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
LEADERS
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
- Mount Trait : Storm-winged
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell : Azyrite Halo
- General
- Command Trait : Staunch Defender
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales

Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies
UNITS
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers
Everblaze Comet (100)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Quicksilver Swords (30)

I bring home a 2-1 result and 9th place, which, once you factor in that this is my first tournament and the Stormcast situation, is… not bad. It was also the best placement for Stormcasts -the other two SCE lists being some variation of Shootcast. Many thanks to all those who gave me advice on the forum, and of course, particularly to @Turragor

The list felt good and fun to play, although it plays quite cagey (especially in the first rounds) and strategic. Here’s a short writeup, happy to give more details if you’re curious.

Game 1: vs Nighthaunt in The Better Part of Valour. Major victory (22-2), tabled my opponent by t3. This was a good matchup (all those fragile heroes…) but in all honesty I think the victory (or, at least, the distance) comes largely from mistakes of my opponent who developed the typical tunnel vision for the Celestant. In fact, this is the scenario which I find more difficult with a Starcast list, as it’s way to easy to sneak in a 10-men unit and just burn my objectives. Oh well, a lucky draw for the first game I suppose.

20200417202723_1.jpg.0b0a7295924a1cef887c44ec05c01282.jpg

Game 2: vs Tzeentch (yes, Eternal Conflagration and Changehost, 2 drops, 12 flamers, 2 exalted, 20 pinks) in Three Places of Power. Major Defeat (22-0), got tabled by t3 (with both Stardrakes dead on t2 ). This was a very unlucky pairing, as I think I would have had a good chance in this scenario against most other armies. It could of course have played better and have a little bit more luck (a double turn in t2 would have helped to hold on a little longer) but still, this list feels just too powerful for my army / present skill level.

20200418104759_1.jpg.c1b9b807b0c91bc507157df17d546802.jpg

Game 3: vs Ogor Mawtribes (but not a full OBR list, only one stonehorn around). Major Victory (27-14) and opponent tabled in t4. I was quite confident when I saw the list (lists were only revealed at the moment of the pairings). Managed to kill the small heroes (Butcher, Tyrant) on t1 and to tie-in the Stonehorn with the Templar after he charged a poor unit of liberators -while killing him with MWs. The ogor ability on objectives made for a stressful mid-game (I was behind by t3) but ultimately I only lost a single unit of liberators so in the end I had more bodies than my opponent :D

20200418151640_1.jpg

Great stuff!

I've played Tzeentch once with Starcast (pre-kroak) - scenario Duality. I felt I could keep a lid on him then but I think having so little objectives to focus on was the big thing. The list was also not the gnarliest.

Great results for you though, Tzeentch would go through most of the lists out there so losing to them isn't exactly a problem -SC just aren't 5-0 right now so we could interpret you result as a 4-1 in a longer tourney :P

What list/faction won in the end?

Man I want to try to get my head round TTS now, I think I have the base game installed... yeah

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Turragor said:

Great stuff!

I've played Tzeentch once with Starcast (pre-kroak) - scenario Duality. I felt I could keep a lid on him then but I think having so little objectives to focus on was the big thing. The list was also not the gnarliest.

Great results for you though, Tzeentch would go through most of the lists out there so losing to them isn't exactly a problem -SC just aren't 5-0 right now so we could interpret you result as a 4-1 in a longer tourney :P

What list/faction won in the end?

Man I want to try to get my head round TTS now, I think I have the base game installed... yeah

Thanks man :)

Yes I had a similar experience in duality vs Tzeentch (with mostly horrors and a sprinkle of flamers) -ulatimately he killed the Stardrake in T5 and (minor) won on points. And yes, being the first among the SCE armies felt good, especially because at least one of the shootcast was comparatively much more experienced than me.

About the results, here the top 10 (so that it also includes me :D . Points were calculated in a specific way, but it's basically 20 points maximum per game, allocated dependingn on the distance between VP in the end

Ranking Player Allegiance Points KP
1 Franck Ossiarch Bonereapers 58 5470
2 Neow Disciples of Tzeentch 56 4520
3 Chico Seraphon 55 6000
4 Finia Hedonites of Slaanesh 52 5100
5 Yiu Ossiarch Bonereapers 44 5190
6 Une Pizza Slaves to Darkness 44 4750
7 Inffy Idoneth Deepkin 44 4100
8 chipper Kharadron Overlords 40 4520
9 Marcvs Stormcast Eternals 40 4320
10 Ecko Gloomspite Gitz 39 3200

Here the three top lists:

OBR

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Petrifex Elite
LEADERS
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (880)
Mortisan Soulreaper (120)

- General
- Command Trait : Mighty Archaeossian
- Artefact : Godbone Armour
- Lore of Mortisans : Arcane Command

UNITS
40 x Mortek Guard (440)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
BEHEMOTHS
Gothizzar Harvester (200)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

Tzeentch (the player who won against me in game 2)

Spoiler

Capitaine Flam
Neow
Allegiance: Tzeentch

- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
- Change Coven: Eternal Conflaguration

LEADERS
Lord of Change (380)
- General
- Command Trait : Coruscating Flames
- Artefact : Aura of Mutability
- Lore of Change : Treason of Tzeentch

Fatemaster (120)
- Artefact : Shroud of Warpflame
UNITS
20 x Brimstone Horrors of Tzeentch (120)
10 x Brimstone Horrors of Tzeentch (60)
6 x Flamers of Tzeentch (240)
6 x Flamers of Tzeentch (240)
20 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (400)
1 x Exalted Flamers of Tzeentch (100)
1 x Exalted Flamers of Tzeentch (100)
10 x Brimstone Horrors of Tzeentch (60)

BATTALIONS
Changehost (180)

Seraphon

Spoiler

Alexandre HERVE
Chico
Allegiance: Seraphon

- Constellation: Fangs of Sotek
LEADERS
Lord Kroak (320)
- General
- Spell : Stellar Tempest

Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)
Skink Starpriest (120)

- Spell : Hand of Glory
Skink Starpriest (120)
- Spell : Fiery Convocation
Skink Priest (70)
Skink Oracle on Troglodon (260)

- Artefact : Serpent God Dagger
UNITS
30 x Skinks (180)
- Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
30 x Skinks (180)
- Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
5 x Saurus Guard (100)
8 x Salamander Hunting Pack (160)
8 x Salamander Hunting Pack (160)

Balewind Vortex (40)
Bound Purple Sun of Shyish (60)
Bound Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (70)

In fact, I have just played against the Seraphon list this morning (for the TTS league) and lost in Knife Through the Heart, although I did not lose a single unit. Shoud have just focused on building a castle and try to get the minor win for the points. Without the magic prowess of Kroak I have really no idea of how I could have dealt with those bound endless spells :/

20200420122743_1.jpg.7fc92085de5de8b46778da9d08a3e17c.jpg

Edited by Marcvs
  • Thanks 1

Guys, love the thread, love the lists. Got myself my first Stardrake and a Prime to try it out and looking forward to painting them. But could we maybe keep the first post of the threat updated with all the viable lists we have collected so far? Because as it is, it is pretty hard to find all the lists that are being discussed here giving that the thread grew quite a bit. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 10:09 AM, Naem said:

Guys, love the thread, love the lists. Got myself my first Stardrake and a Prime to try it out and looking forward to painting them. But could we maybe keep the first post of the threat updated with all the viable lists we have collected so far? Because as it is, it is pretty hard to find all the lists that are being discussed here giving that the thread grew quite a bit. 

This is a good idea! I will try to do so after work.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, armisael said:

Oh... Is Lord Kroak good for Stormcast now?

In Starcast very good, in other builds he has something to offer too - but he is dear. Starcast is already going for expensive/few troops so you're ready to make that sacrifice.

2 hours ago, Turragor said:

Ok I added some of my lists, anyone want to recommend their own list or any starcast variant for first post?

I don't remember all the variations I tried, but there was one with 6Desolators and it packed quite the punch too.

2 hours ago, Maturin said:

I don't remember all the variations I tried, but there was one with 6Desolators and it packed quite the punch too.

Can't recall but adding in 6 Desolators means you remove the prime and a drake so probably:

Spoiler

Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
6 x Desolators (600)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 94

?

Nope.

I don't remember what I played actually. Maybe :

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
- Celestine Hammer
Lord-Castellant (120)
Celestant-Prime (340)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield

Units
6 x Desolators (600)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 95

• Like 1

Thank you very much, that makes the thread even more helpful :)

I also do like to play Starkitties with Stardrake, Prime and 6 Evocators on Dracolines plus Comet, Castellant and Exorcist.

Alternatively I liked the list with Incantor, Ordinator and 4 Ballistas instead of the Kitties. In that list I found the enemy to often be to distracted by the Dragon thread to deal with the Ballistas and getting shot to pieces. Kind of a distraction Carnifex :)

Edited by Naem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

I think I could well add both, they are strong in different ways. Starcast w/ 6 deso and kroak versus Starcast w/ 6 deso and prime

The only beef I have with the deso list is that lacking the Comet you're not 100% sure to One shot the opponent's puny heroes.
But what I like is that you still have the Swiss army tool that the Prime is with his 3 guaranteed MW + when the desolators hit, they hit hard! Plus they synergize well with the drake. The only downside is that the castellant has to choose whether to shine on the drake or deso. Depending on what you're facing, that can be a problem.

46 minutes ago, Naem said:

Thank you very much, that makes the thread even more helpful :)

I also do like to play Starkitties with Stardrake, Prime and 6 Evocators on Dracolines plus Comet, Castellant and Exorcist.

Alternatively I liked the list with Incantor, Ordinator and 4 Ballistas instead of the Kitties. In that list I found the enemy to often be to distracted by the Dragon thread to deal with the Ballistas and getting shot to pieces. Kind of a distraction Carnifex :)

Seems interesting. The only beef I have with the balistas is they're unreliability. 4 of them + LO is too much to be unreliable.

• Like 1

Space marines have access to cheap and always essential characters that give an aura to hit and wound. We're stuck with the celestant for +1 to hit (the LCoSD should it too btw), the Azyros who's meeeh since he has to get into enemy lines and a spell, that we first need to cast.
We're not very efficient poster boys :D

Well to be fair SM only got good in the 8th edition after the latest codex. Before that they were stuck in a similar place as SCE. Not the worst but definitely far away from being top meta.

Concerning the Ballista list - I once calculated that 4 Ballistas with Ordinator compensate the lacks in reliability by quantity of shots. 4 seems to be the magic number for me there.

Hi all, I will try my luck with StormKroak in another small tournament soon. This one does not allow realm artifacts. Bye bye Ignax :( My first reaction would be to go with the largely inferior Armour of Destiny.

Other alternatives I have considered:

- going with a Stormhost (Hammers for the 6+ FNP and why not, resurrecting liberators; Anvil for the CA; Hallowed Knights (wut?) for the 5 bonus wounds over the game. But then, I also lose Staunch, and that makes me feel even more voulnerable and diminishes the returns of the lantern (at least, IMHO)

- replacing staunch with Shielded by Faith (and then consider again the artifact, maybe taking also the Armour of Destiny?). Same problem as before about losing Staunch

-taking the Storm Scroll and add even more fun to the t1 salvo :D

what do you guys think?