Skyborne Slayers - The Thread

Primes

20 hours ago, Juicy said:

nice style!

The rule on 6 is indeed terrible. I always explain them to my opponent as monster slayer units. But i never tell the part that they hardly killing any monster out there with the glaves. This design is terrible for monster slaying. To many checks to pass.

Same with decimators.. Yeah they get loads of attacks but most of the time they fail to kill even a lot of horde dudes and get destroyed after. I wish they got damage 2 so they can finely hit like the blender they should be. These guys even in units of 10 hardly get anything done.

which is even more frustrating when you look at dracoth rules just a page before (6 to wound result in D6 damages).
I mean they could ahve gone the same way and the protectors would have been more reliable in this role.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jeanfluflu said:

which is even more frustrating when you look at dracoth rules just a page before (6 to wound result in D6 damages).
I mean they could ahve gone the same way and the protectors would have been more reliable in this role.

Ya. It'll be far simpler and slightly more effective if they simply do D2 to Monsters, or 6s on wound rolls result in 1 mortal wound if targeting monsters. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, after the 3-0 in the pool phase, my pure-Skyborne didn't perform very well in the finals of the French TTS League, confirming what I thought about the strategy: good, but with just too many bad matchups. Games went like this:

Major victory in round 1 - Battle for the pass vs Seraphon (kroak & friends with two packs of salamanders). A good charge and some gaps left by my opponent in his deployment allowed me to capture all the objectives in t1. Then my protectors survived for long enough to win on points.

20201212104206_1.jpg.688697da6558b3051c1a17fcd643d6b8.jpg

Major victory in round 2 too - Focal points vs Idoneth (reminder: this is all pre-Morathi). Heroic and extremely lucky moment for the Lord Celestant who runs and finishes off Volturnos in t2 with his special shooting capacity -> IDK didn't have output to come back

20201212153739_1.jpg.35fbe6d9a0ce332f7ec7df2277ea4beb.jpg

Major defeat in round 3 :( - Scorched earth vs Idoneth (again!). A sad game where I failed three 5" charges on first turn, and that more or less was it, though it took my opponent the whole 5 turns to ensure the major

20201213100004_1.jpg.ae664b335c4b4cdaff7d65295b47fa2a.jpg

Major defeat in round 4 too but this was a very tough matchup - Border war vs Nurgle with 50 blightkings. Managed to score all the points in the first two turns but the resilience and output of the blightkings was too much for my army. Opponent managed to get out of my net and threaten my home objective already in t3. (as a side note, wish paladins stats were aligned with blightkings)

20201213150702_1.jpg.d110101fef6a4f0c9a796608caece403.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So just for a bit of lawyering-fun after the underwhelming FAQs. This is related to the discussion concerning the inclusion of a Lord Celestant with mount in Skyborne Slayers (oh yes @Juicy :D ).

In the FEC Errata they clarified the Royal Family battalion

image.png.9f4daa161f1a604476892a2563de4163.png

they did so in particular to specify that the Abhorrant Ghould Kings that can be included in the battalion should not have mounts. On this point there was the same ambiguity that we have on Skyborne Slayers, since they did not use the KEYWORD system and now the core rules say that you ignore subtexts.

Now the lawyer in me wants to use this as proof that you can include whatever non-named Lord celestant you wish in Skyborne Slayers, because if they wanted to avoid this, the would have clarified it in the same way as the Royal Family

15 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

So just for a bit of lawyering-fun after the underwhelming FAQs. This is related to the discussion concerning the inclusion of a Lord Celestant with mount in Skyborne Slayers (oh yes @Juicy :D ).

In the FEC Errata they clarified the Royal Family battalion

image.png.9f4daa161f1a604476892a2563de4163.png

they did so in particular to specify that the Abhorrant Ghould Kings that can be included in the battalion should not have mounts. On this point there was the same ambiguity that we have on Skyborne Slayers, since they did not use the KEYWORD system and now the core rules say that you ignore subtexts.

Now the lawyer in me wants to use this as proof that you can include whatever non-named Lord celestant you wish in Skyborne Slayers, because if they wanted to avoid this, the would have clarified it in the same way as the Royal Family

Does that mean, that i can field a Celestant on Stardrake in Skyborn Slayers?😍

4 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Does that mean, that i can field a Celestant on Stardrake in Skyborn Slayers?😍

serious me would say: I am really not sure and you should check with your opponent/TO. There is an apparent conflict between the historical meaning of the battalion (only Lord Celesatnt on foot)  and the core rules (subheaders don't count).

BURN-IT-ALL-post-faq-me would say: just go for it and use the core rules + the difference with the royal court argument to justify it XD

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lucur said:

Because battlescribe is an official, licensed product and has never contained any mistakes...

I dream of Vandus in the skyborne slayers...

Why? you can give +1 attack with celestial vindicators aswel and +1 attack on the decimators or protectors isnt that big of a deal. Its decent but not going to spike that damage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thanos-se said:

In BattleScribe although you can't pick a Lord-Celestant on a mount. Your only option is the one on foot.

Who use battlescribe in 2021? 🙄 

3 hours ago, Lucur said:

I dream of Vandus in the skyborne slayers...

I ducking wish 

18 hours ago, Lucur said:

If i'm not mistaken (big if :P) vindicators CA can be used once, Vandus' can be used several times. Look, i'm not saying it's optimal, it's just the best use i got for the man :D

true but lets say protectors you run 10/15 with them.. And charge them head on into a unit. 9/10 times when i did this for the last 100 matches or so the starsoul maces did most of that job. those extra hits felt oke and yeah i used CV +CP al the time because i could do it but never felt the need of giving these protectors more attacks. Cannot really think of 1 game i played where this matterd. Cause starsoul maces.. On decimators its even worse because even against hordes i always felt they underperformed. 40mm bases and terrein and screens. This units is 9/10 times just a protective meatshield for my 10 protecters and trying to keep people from objectives instead of killing power. 

Not sure in practive you want to spend x amount of cp just for that extra attack on paladins.

17 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

hammers is not the worst of choices if you go big on liberators. the problem is to still have heroes alive for when you need to use the CA :D

yeah true, i remember when i used to play a lord celestant with staunch defender a lot. Its the nr-1 target that gets shot.

hammers and libbies. Super sweet when you get that 5+ off but in the meta where i play there is just to much point click delete 5/8 wound character at range. 

you trying some stormkeep games? 

1 minute ago, Juicy said:

yeah true, i remember when i used to play a lord celestant with staunch defender a lot. Its the nr-1 target that gets shot.

hammers and libbies. Super sweet when you get that 5+ off but in the meta where i play there is just to much point click delete 5/8 wound character at range. 

you trying some stormkeep games? 

not really, those which I tried weren't great (still managed to win some but honestly, mostly because of mistakes of my opponents) and the lack of changes in the FAQ stole my wind a little bit. Still signed up for a tournament on 6 February so I have to dcide what to do but I am thinking of going with the same skyborne slayers list or something completely different (evocats and ballistas, living city with dracoths)

• Like 1

I feel you on this. I did a pretty decent amount of games trying to win with stormkeep patrol. I did win some but when im up against a player who i played before i always lost the match. This is a problem with skyborne aswell. Once you know whats coming you can do something about it. But with skyborne you have the power to set up for the double. With patrol you set yourself up for a double against you. This is whats hurting me in my local meta. Because often i did find myself with no characters in range for the battleshock pass. And libbies underperform greatly without the lord castellant buff. Our local tournament got canceld but we got this big dutch tournament coming on the 27th. I wanted to go stormkeep but i feel i just cannot compeet. Not even with the 9 longstrike/30 liberator build. That felt the most succes version i tryed. 20 juds was decent but lacked damage and range in the end. But after the FAQ our local players trying some lower point games to have some fun because its pretty sad that the local seraphon, idoneth and dok players are walk over you this ez.  :(

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

I feel you on this. I did a pretty decent amount of games trying to win with stormkeep patrol. I did win some but when im up against a player who i played before i always lost the match. This is a problem with skyborne aswell. Once you know whats coming you can do something about it. But with skyborne you have the power to set up for the double. With patrol you set yourself up for a double against you. This is whats hurting me in my local meta. Because often i did find myself with no characters in range for the battleshock pass. And libbies underperform greatly without the lord castellant buff. Our local tournament got canceld but we got this big dutch tournament coming on the 27th. I wanted to go stormkeep but i feel i just cannot compeet. Not even with the 9 longstrike/30 liberator build. That felt the most succes version i tryed. 20 juds was decent but lacked damage and range in the end. But after the FAQ our local players trying some lower point games to have some fun because its pretty sad that the local seraphon, idoneth and dok players are walk over you this ez.  :(

I have actually had decent success with my SBS list against IDK (like 50-50 so far), but don't make me think of what they got out of BR because the comparison makes me so sad :(

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I have actually had decent success with my SBS list against IDK (like 50-50 so far), but don't make me think of what they got out of BR because the comparison makes me so sad :(

yeah, at first i thought YES this is what i wished for. But then i looked more closely at the new stormkeep rules and damn. So much missed potential again.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators (maybe stormkeep?)

Leaders
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Command Trait: Single-minded Fury
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged

Battleline
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
10 x Liberators (180)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
10 x Liberators (180)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 2x Grandhammers

Units
5 x Decimators (170)
- 2x Starsoul Maces
15 x Protectors (510)
- 6x Starsoul Maces

Battalions
Skyborne Slayers (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 136

What do you think about this version? 

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

What do you think about this version? 

The list is similar to what I would do if I wanted to include the Stardrake in the 1-drop version (I don't think it really adds much value, not more than 20 liberators or 10 protectors that you can have for these points). I would go staunch defender and plate of perfect protection instead of celestial vindicators to give the drake a better chance of survival, otherwise he will just die in the opponent's t1

Edited by Marcvs