NOVA Open 2019 Wrap Up

daviseford

9 hours ago, daviseford said:

Hey man!

That feature will be added soon. I'm going on vacation over the weekend but plan to have it done early next week. Brilliant suggestion!

Thanks for the heads up on the podcast. How did you place at NOVA?

I won the thursday RTT but came in 22nd in battle points in the gt (18th overall). Was slightly disappointed with a 3-2 finish. The weaknesses in my list I had identified going into the event were the issues that gave me the most trouble so thats always a good sign in terms of list building. I was glad to meet you, and thanks for chatting with me. Enjoy the vacation! I cant imagine the amount of time and energy you put into aos reminders! What an amazing tool for the community. I mean its seriously up there in the pantheon with warscroll builder when that came out., in terms of impactfulness once more people catch on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bayul said:

@Graywater Do you mind to elaborate on your Legion of Grief statement?

Legion of grief gives you access to gravesites and the summon command ability. which makes the unending horde approach actually a viable option. While this feeds directly into what the original complaint was about (being forced to use masses of voting units), it legitimizes one way to play them. Also not worrying about ally restrictions to bring in necromancers and vampire lords is a nice bonus. 

In a different direction, grief and the summoning allows you to super buff a unit of bladegheists or even harridans, and throw them into the enemy without worrying if they die. They can do the same damage in nighthaunt, but grief allows you to recycle that unit so you dont feel the loss of that unit nearly as much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Graywater said:

Legion of grief gives you access to gravesites and the summon command ability. which makes the unending horde approach actually a viable option. While this feeds directly into what the original complaint was about (being forced to use masses of voting units), it legitimizes one way to play them. Also not worrying about ally restrictions to bring in necromancers and vampire lords is a nice bonus. 

In a different direction, grief and the summoning allows you to super buff a unit of bladegheists or even harridans, and throw them into the enemy without worrying if they die. They can do the same damage in nighthaunt, but grief allows you to recycle that unit so you dont feel the loss of that unit nearly as much.

Thank you for the answer, but in the context of an event like NOVA: Do you think LoG is a explicitly viable option? I do believe there wasn't a single LoG list at NOVA and the excitment for LoG since the Forbidden Powers announcement seems to fade.

4 minutes ago, Bayul said:

Thank you for the answer, but in the context of an event like NOVA: Do you think LoG is a explicitly viable option? I do believe there wasn't a single LoG list at NOVA and the excitment for LoG since the Forbidden Powers announcement seems to fade.

It's not winning an event the size of nova. I'm honestly surprised the nighthaunt list did as well as it did. I like the way nighthaunt units were used in this sacrament list. It went 3-2, but it's two losses were against the 3rd and 5th place daughters lists. I played him game 5 (I was the 5th place daughters) in duality of death, which is so uphill for him and it was still close. His game before was on focal points against daughters and it was very close as well. Running nighthaunt units in sacrament gives all the benefits I spoke of for running grief, but also gives access to the great vampire and deathmage lores, with added bonus to cast.

Screenshot_20190905-100140_BCP Player.jpg

On 9/4/2019 at 12:33 PM, Graywater said:

BCP is Best Coast Pairings, the app used to record results and show pairings for the event.

Itll take a lot of posts to copy in screenshots of all 8 lists, but I'll give an overview of the top 8 and you can let me know if theres any in particular you want to see.

1. Slaanesh- 3 keeper godseeker host, epitome, 30 daemonettes, supreme sybarites

2. Tzeentch- changehost with 70 horrors and 7 endless spells

3. Daughters- 70 witches, 20 snakes, cauldron queen, 2 hags

4. Tzeentch- 18 skyfire and wildfire Taurus 

5. Daughters- morathi, 30 sisters of slaughter, 20 snakes, 10 heartrenders, cauldron hag

6.  Skaven- 2 bells, support heroes, 2x40 clanrats, 40 storkvermin, 15 acolytes 

7. Skaven-1 bell, thanquol, 2x40 clanrats, 30 stormvermin, clawhorde, warp lightning vortex

8. Nurgle- verminlord corruptor, epitome, 30 plaguebearers, 10 knights, 40 plague monks

Hey, thanks for that! In list 8. What's the epitome? 

16 minutes ago, Graywater said:

It's a slaanesh hero that he allied in. Very strong. Has a bubble forcing enemy units to go last on a 4+ in the combat phase and is a 2 cast wizard that rerolls casts and unbinds

Oh wow, I thought it was the only one called epitome. I hadn't realised Slaanesh could ally with nurgle. . . 

EDIT P.S. Yeah my bad, I should really be playing more than I am at the moment haha ! 

Edited by Ninelives

Amazed to see two Tzeentch lists at the top as the the codex is old and generally considered low tier. Though both are pretty extreme builds. so perhaps they caught opponents by surprise. 

The 18 Skyfire list seems like insanity, but I can see how effective it could be. Hard to win if all of your characters get sniped! 

19 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Amazed to see two Tzeentch lists at the top as the the codex is old and generally considered low tier. Though both are pretty extreme builds. so perhaps they caught opponents by surprise. 

The 18 Skyfire list seems like insanity, but I can see how effective it could be. Hard to win if all of your characters get sniped! 

They are both strong players, but I dont know if I'd consider tzeentch low tier. They dominated for quite a while and created some negative play experiences for opponents. Nerfs came down and between those two pieces, people stopped playing them. But I dont think it's because they were weak. More they were made fair, and people had negative experiences for long enough that tzeentch was not an enticing army to play with. But people have posted good results as of recently and I think people are willing to go back to them now.

35 minutes ago, Graywater said:

They are both strong players, but I dont know if I'd consider tzeentch low tier. They dominated for quite a while and created some negative play experiences for opponents. Nerfs came down and between those two pieces, people stopped playing them. But I dont think it's because they were weak. More they were made fair, and people had negative experiences for long enough that tzeentch was not an enticing army to play with. But people have posted good results as of recently and I think people are willing to go back to them now.

This must have been a while ago, since I started playing them around the 2018 GHB and they haven't really changed in the 15+month period since (outside of modest points changes) I doubt negative experiences from 2-3 years ago have much impact on today's meta. 

This is probably an example of two excellent players piloting outside-of-the-box lists and catching opponents unprepared. Good for them!

Definitely a good sign! 

23 hours ago, Landohammer said:

Kaleb walters ran the 18 skyfires. He has won nova several times, and i think won adepticon as well. VERY good players. Joe Krier ran the changehost list. He is also one of the best players playing right now. 6th on ITC currently. I played against him in my game 4. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 9:37 AM, Graywater said:

Legion of Grief does NOT give access to gravesites and endless legions command ability. FAQ stated explicitly it is NOT a legion of nagash. It is also NOT a nighthaunt army, and cannot use their allegiance abilities. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Legion of Grief does NOT give access to gravesites and endless legions command ability. FAQ stated explicitly it is NOT a legion of nagash. It is also NOT a nighthaunt army, and cannot use their allegiance abilities. 

Thanks for correcting me there. So I guess the answer is to still use nighthaunt units in one of the other legions then? That's a little unfortunate. Wonder why they decided to not let grief have the toys the other legions get.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:59 AM, Graywater said:

Thanks for correcting me there. So I guess the answer is to still use nighthaunt units in one of the other legions then? That's a little unfortunate. Wonder why they decided to not let grief have the toys the other legions get.

While Legions of Grief is not a Legion of Nagash, it does have the Unquiet Dead and Invigorating Aura allegiance abilities (gravesites) and the Endless Legions command ability so it's essentially a Legion of Nagash but without access to the Lores of the Dead/doublecast abilities. Check out page 70 of Forbidden Power for the full LoG rules.

I was Graywater's round 5 opponent, great game on Duality. I made a big mistake in deployment and he was able to capitalize on that, outscoring me for a solid win.

I think Legion of Grief will breathe a little life into Nighthaunt/Legions but we'll have to see what people come up with. I'm planning to run a LoG list at the next big GT I attend, as long as campaign supplement allegiances are allowed. I wanted to run LoG at Nova but I didn't have much time to practice with it so I stuck with something I felt more confident playing.

Edited by robpro
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, robpro said:

While Legions of Grief is not a Legion of Nagash, it does have the Unquiet Dead and Invigorating Aura allegiance abilities (gravesites) and the Endless Legions command ability so it's essentially a Legion of Nagash but without access to the Lores of the Dead/doublecast abilities. Check out page 70 of Forbidden Power for the full LoG rules.

I was Graywater's round 5 opponent, great game on Duality. I made a big mistake in deployment and he was able to capitalize on that, outscoring me for a solid win.

I think Legion of Grief will breathe a little life into Nighthaunt/Legions but we'll have to see what people come up with. I'm planning to run a LoG list at the next big GT I attend, as long as campaign supplement allegiances are allowed. I wanted to run LoG at Nova but I didn't have much time to practice with it so I stuck with something I felt more confident playing.

Thanks for the clarification rob. Gravesites are a huge boon. I really liked how your nighthaunt units worked in your army- exactly how I imagine a horde of ghosts would be. 

Round 5 was a fun game, though I cant pretend like I didnt have a clear advantage going first and having morathi on duality.

11 hours ago, Graywater said:

Excellent, my body is ready. Will you be bringing it to da boyz do you think?

That's the current plan, but they may not be allowing LoG. We'll have to see what their final packet looks like. 

And Bayul, I'll be happy to share the list after I get a few more games in to figure out which pieces I wanna keep and which ones I want to tweak. 

3 minutes ago, Maturin said:

@Graywater Hey mate, do you have access to any Seraphon, SCE and free people list from Nova ? I'd like to see what people played? Cheers :)

Yep. 34th was a sureheart list: celestant on stardrake, arcanum, sureheart, 2x5 libs, 20 sequitors, 2x2 fulminators, dais

40th was shootcast: 3 min libs, veritant, aquilor, 9 longstrike raptors, 9 hurricane raptors, 3 hurricanes in vanguard justicar conclave, birds

61 stormcast- a heap of heroes including sureheart, 10 evocators, 2x10 sequitors, 5 judicators, dais and comet

66 stormcast- incantor, veritant, arcanum, 10 sequitors, 5 libs, 5 judicators, 2 fulminators, 9 longstrike raptors, 5 evocators, dais

67 stormcast- incantor, arcanum, heraldor, relictor, 3x5 sequitors, 10 evocators, 9 longstrike raptors, 3x3 birds 

86 stormcast Azyros, incantor, relictor, ordinator, 3x5 libs, 3 castigators, 12 hurricane raptors, 4 ballistas, hailstorm battery battalion

Seraphon

54 thunderquake starhost with 3x10 skins, a skunk priest, and 6 kroxigor

56 saurus horde in sunclaw battalion with slann, engine of the gods, sunblood, astrolith, 20 20 40 saurus, 20 skins,  3 salamanders with handlers

75 thunderquake with 6 kroxigor, 20 10 10 skins

88 shadowstrike and firelance battalions

No free peoples armies present. Let me know if you want to see any specific list. Those wouldve been a lot of images to upload

• Thanks 1