NOVA Open 2019 Wrap Up

daviseford

BCP is Best Coast Pairings, the app used to record results and show pairings for the event.

Itll take a lot of posts to copy in screenshots of all 8 lists, but I'll give an overview of the top 8 and you can let me know if theres any in particular you want to see.

1. Slaanesh- 3 keeper godseeker host, epitome, 30 daemonettes, supreme sybarites

2. Tzeentch- changehost with 70 horrors and 7 endless spells

3. Daughters- 70 witches, 20 snakes, cauldron queen, 2 hags

4. Tzeentch- 18 skyfire and wildfire Taurus 

5. Daughters- morathi, 30 sisters of slaughter, 20 snakes, 10 heartrenders, cauldron hag

6.  Skaven- 2 bells, support heroes, 2x40 clanrats, 40 storkvermin, 15 acolytes 

7. Skaven-1 bell, thanquol, 2x40 clanrats, 30 stormvermin, clawhorde, warp lightning vortex

8. Nurgle- verminlord corruptor, epitome, 30 plaguebearers, 10 knights, 40 plague monks

• Like 1

14 hours ago, B.C.D. said:

Amazing. Thank you very much for the summary 😉

Does anyone know where I could find the army lists of the nova open? Is there a website to access them? :)

If you subscribe to BCP you can see every army list in the world for any event that uses BCP to run the event. Which is a lot. I subscribe and can look at the most competitive lists for any event. Its awesome!

Its a shame that the Night Haunt list is so boring.   I love my Night Haunts but I have way too many cool looking heroes and the Coach is a great model and I don't see many people actually fielding the stuff I painted up.

I don't want to have to run 30 reapers (my current army has 0 because I never bought into them out of spite for giving us a useless four of them in the Soul Wars box) and so many Chain Rasps.  I love Blade Revenants but 30 of them plus 30 Reapers plus 30 chain rasps sounds really boring to paint and move around the battle field.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Graywater said:

BCP is Best Coast Pairings, the app used to record results and show pairings for the event.

Itll take a lot of posts to copy in screenshots of all 8 lists, but I'll give an overview of the top 8 and you can let me know if theres any in particular you want to see.

1. Slaanesh- 3 keeper godseeker host, epitome, 30 daemonettes, supreme sybarites

2. Tzeentch- changehost with 70 horrors and 7 endless spells

3. Daughters- 70 witches, 20 snakes, cauldron queen, 2 hags

4. Tzeentch- 18 skyfire and wildfire Taurus 

5. Daughters- morathi, 30 sisters of slaughter, 20 snakes, 10 heartrenders, cauldron hag

6.  Skaven- 2 bells, support heroes, 2x40 clanrats, 40 storkvermin, 15 acolytes 

7. Skaven-1 bell, thanquol, 2x40 clanrats, 30 stormvermin, clawhorde, warp lightning vortex

8. Nurgle- verminlord corruptor, epitome, 30 plaguebearers, 10 knights, 40 plague monks

It’s interesting to see how Stormvermins became a tournament choice since the point drop.

didn't think, they’d be used.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Travis Baumann said:

Its a shame that the Night Haunt list is so boring.   I love my Night Haunts but I have way too many cool looking heroes and the Coach is a great model and I don't see many people actually fielding the stuff I painted up.

I don't want to have to run 30 reapers (my current army has 0 because I never bought into them out of spite for giving us a useless four of them in the Soul Wars box) and so many Chain Rasps.  I love Blade Revenants but 30 of them plus 30 Reapers plus 30 chain rasps sounds really boring to paint and move around the battle field.

I played against this list in the thursday RTT  (which I won :D) before the GT. It really isnt boring at all, IMO. And I play against Nighthaunt regularly as my buddy plays them as a main. Its really cool how he is able to retreat and charge in all the time, constantly shifting and counter chargin new threats. Made it very difficult to pin down. LUCKILY for me I caught him on total commitment because had he been able to bring up from the grave, I would have been in serious trouble!

15 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

It’s interesting to see how Stormvermins became a tournament choice since the point drop.

James O brien ran the 6th place list. He is in my gaming orbit. Played against him a couple times. He is a REALLY skilled player. The 7th place list I played against in the thursday NOVA aos RTT before the GT, and it is a NASTY list. potential generate 16 cp per turn!! then clawlord buffs the stormvermin with +bajillion attacks. Lucky for me, he failed some key rolls, and my chaos marauders tore apart the stormvermin with mortal wounds before he was able to buff them up. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1

Just now, sal4m4nd3r said:

James O brien ran the 6th place list. He is in my gaming orbit. Played against him a couple times. He is a REALLY skilled player. The 7th place list I played against in the thursday NOVA aos RTT before the GT, and it is a NASTY list. potential generate 16 cp per turn!! then clawlord buffs the stormvermin with +bajillion attacks. Lucky for me, he failed some key rolls, and my chaos marauders tore apart the stormvermin with mortal wounds before he was able to buff them up. 

Let me guess he used thanquols command ability on two other Masterclan heroes gaining and being able to roll twice with thanqoul and with each masterclan hero ones,  to gain his huge pool of cp.

Im also guessing that he used the clawlord on brood horror since the command ability of clawlord to foot cant be used multiple times on the same unit.

2 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Let me guess he used thanquols command ability on two other Masterclan heroes gaining and being able to roll twice with thanqoul and with each masterclan hero ones,  to gain his huge pool of cp.

Im also guessing that he used the clawlord on brood horror since the command ability of clawlord to foot cant be used multiple times on the same unit.

Isnt it 3 heros? And yes, he combined the aether quartz brooche, master manipulator and one of the sub factions allegiance ability to get 3 dice rolls per command ability used.  I suppose it had to have been the CLoBH. Didnt know the foot lord was capped. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Travis Baumann said:

I love the bladegheists with their retreat and charge mechanic. It's a ton of fun and definitely something you can play around. I do agree that the chainrasp horde can be a little boring, but its effectiveness is hard to argue against. I feel there are a few viable builds with nighthaunt though, especially considering legion of grief as an option, so I wouldn't get too down about options.

22 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I'm curious to see them played. I didnt get a chance to play against any skaven this event, but it for sure is interesting to see that unit in both top 10 skaven lists.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Isnt it 3 heros? And yes, he combined the aether quartz brooche, master manipulator and one of the sub factions allegiance ability to get 3 dice rolls per command ability used.  I suppose it had to have been the CLoBH. Didnt know the foot lord was capped. 

Just wondering, how he got 3dice rolls to gain back cp, for each hero, since the rules for the  Aether quartz brooche explicitly says that you can roll when a cp us spend, meaning that heros who are affected by thanqouls command ability, wouldn't be able to roll 2dice!

am i missing something??

1 minute ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Just wondering, how he got 3dice rolls to gain back cp, for each hero, since the rules for the  Aether quartz brooche explicitly says that you can roll when a cp us spend, meaning that heros who are affected by thanqouls command ability, wouldn't be able to roll 2dice!

am i missing something??

Then perhaps I misunderstood him. He is part of a large and established gaming group. I'm sure he was playing it correctly  :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Then perhaps I misunderstood him. He is part of a large and established gaming group. I'm sure he was playing it correctly  :)

Im guessing so.

still have you ever had some kind of an itchy feeling where you really want to know how a person/thing did something, but can't figure it out.

this is basically how I’m feeling right😂😂.

must be my 13 skaven senses tingling again.

36 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

So forgive me for being rat ignorant, but how do they get all of the extra attacks when the clawlord command ability says a unit can only be chosen to benefit from it once per phase? 

8 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@daviseford I spoke to you briefly. I was the guy who mentioned toggling the rule's effect on/off to  have a more compact layout. Glad you had a good time. You were talked about on the latest episode of the Wide World of Wargaming podcast as well! I will certainly be utilizing your awesome site in the future! See you at next years NOVA!

Hey man!

That feature will be added soon. I'm going on vacation over the weekend but plan to have it done early next week. Brilliant suggestion!

Thanks for the heads up on the podcast. How did you place at NOVA?

10 hours ago, Travis Baumann said:

The reality is that the battletome is probably in the worst shape of all 2.0 battletomes, so if you are bringing a crunchy list to a tourney, you have very limited options in Nighthaunt.

I love putting Kurdoss and some of my other beautiful models on the battlefield like anyone else, but if I am going to a tourney to win I know that my options are much more limited.