The Spire Runners - Prepping for Warcry

Melcavuk

I am (as ever with new things) excited for the conversion possibilities that Warcry presents in terms of modelling, but I cant often find the motivation to "be the bad guy" in most hobby formats. I adore my Slaanesh and Khorne mammoths but when it comes to really embracing the lore in many ways I am a stickler for a tragic hero rather than a villain. With this mindset approaching Warcry I was excited to see that it is possible to run a Vanguard chamber Stormcast Warband, and all of the potential conversions that could springfrom that concept.

THE IDEA
Those who have lived in darkness may, in times of need travel its winding road absent the blessing of light.

The Varanspire is a dark, techarous and evil place, one that few beyond the cults of Archaon have ventured into in centuries and returned to tell the tale, for this reason approaching my Warband I have started with the idea of souls of those within the Varanspire itself who were able to be redeemed forming an elite reconnaissance force for the Stormcast within the spire itself.

These would be souls drawn from the various tribes, those who perhaps sought to resist the influence of Archaon and died for such misplaced faith in a world that would find them purpose. Yet to put these souls to task outside of the scouting of the Varanspire would be to waste the knowledge they had garnered from their lives before, however with such value placed upon such memories the risk of losing worth with every reforging is an ever present concern to those who run the spires.

These little notions encourage me to add trinkets to my Stormcast, Hyshian Memory Stones that once formed a tangible library of memories for the tribes of Hysh are now embedded into trinkets and tokens the Stormcast bear upon their forms as they venture into the heart of darkness. Should they fall in battle such stones can absorb their last memories mapping the paths taken throughout the spire that they might, in their next incarnation venture that much further throughout its winding corridors and avoid those pitfalls that had proved fatal in their prior journeys.

THE THEME
We are alone, it is to our Strength of will and Keenness of Blade that we must now look.

For my these are Vanguard Hunters who have travelled far from Azyr, who will for months, years on end be without resupply from the forges of Sigmar. Their gear would have to be functional, long since worn and battle beaten, their weaponry altered to deal with the long expanses they would be fighting across and tasked to the vicious predators that form the ever hurry fauna of the Varanspire. 

Instead of swords I would turn my mind to spears, the long reach allowing them to impale would be predators and keep them at safe distance. Instead of the heavy shields of liberators I would give mine the more mobile prosecutor shields that they might be more nimble in combat. Each would bear their crossbow alongside a variety of weaponry, needing such plentiful weapons that should one break they can bear another into battle.

IMG_0689.jpg.6df5809c99a21b505a7972c52ed02591.jpg

Similarly their masks remain but the overly ornate headdresses have been removed, they are functional but not gaudy and serve to shield their users face without giving away their presence needlessly.

THE BASES
Beneath our feet lie the bones of friend and foe alike, all are equal unto the reaper.

The Varanspire is a fortress, built atop collapsed civilisations, its many haunted mazes littered with memories of those who came before, to this end I have created ruined city basing for my stormcast, with broken stonework, statuettes and rubble forming a backdrop for their acts of heroism.

IMG_0694.jpg.e2def3ecfd4e96374ad76ec1e3603f9e.jpg

With my models set to arrive tomorrow along with more brass rod to use as hafts for spears I will update with models as I progress.

• Like 7

With Number 6 finished my Warcry Stormcast are ready and waiting to join the battle. For clarity:

Most are Vanguard Hunters unless carrying a giant crossbow

I know Spears and Shields arent an option, they're done for cosmetic reasons only to give a unique and personal approach to Stormcast for my own personal theme

IMG_6544.JPG

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 4

Happy #Warcry day, finished off the two Aetherwings that round out my Stormcast Warband to fill out a decent expanded Roster. Presenting my finished Spirerunners for Warcry ready to hit the tables running. #Ageofsigmar #Paintingwarhammer #Stormcast

IMG_6629.JPG

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 4

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly finished on my design to run alongside my Cities of Sigmar. Instead of running units of Stormcast, by running each as a Hero scroll it really reflects the difference between mortals and these herculean heroes. Usually I try to make my models more grounded, but here I want to explore how mortals see Stormcast. These are titans, who arrive on lighning, with raw power coursing in their veins, armour crafted by gods. Nigh immortal warriors of legend.

I wanted to integrate little cultural bits, the barbarian crown to signify a life before, or perhaps a culture formed around him. The armour sculpted as fire beneath the drake head shoulder as though it still belows in death. The basilisk tooth spear as trophy of conquest.

Size comparison for reference, display base seperate for now

IMG_6926.JPG

IMG_6927.JPG

IMG_6928.JPG

IMG_6929.JPG

IMG_6930.JPG

IMG_6933.JPG

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2