AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

On 12/18/2019 at 6:33 PM, Skabnoze said:

There is a lot of crusty spots like that in the rules.  For instance the whole activation wars thing is problematic given that they did not design the combat phase with clearly identified sub phases that rules could key off of. Hopefully they rework that whenever AoS 3 comes along.

I don't understand why it is problematic - They have divided every single phase into 3 sub phases. As an example:

Combat phase

1. Start of combat phase
  2. During combat phase
  3. End of combat phase

2 hours ago, Kasper said:

I don't understand why it is problematic - They have divided every single phase into 3 sub phases. As an example:

Combat phase

1. Start of combat phase
  2. During combat phase
  3. End of combat phase

As I understand the mechanic. it's simply that the last effect to be applied takes priority. If that's true, I don't really understand why that's so complicated. The only thing you would need to know to apply any of these rules is the wording of the rule you're using, which should be in every tome/tournament packet.

Am I missing something?

25 minutes ago, TALegion said:

As I understand the mechanic. it's simply that the last effect to be applied takes priority. If that's true, I don't really understand why that's so complicated. The only thing you would need to know to apply any of these rules is the wording of the rule you're using, which should be in every tome/tournament packet.

Am I missing something?

No, it's just that most of the tournament community apparently missed the BoC errata which said exactly the same thing.

Now that they've all realised it they are suddenly having a "but what does this mean!!!?" moment. There are a couple of odd interactions which, when you look at the situation as a monolith, appear really odd but individually they make perfect sense.

I have yet to play Big Waagh but planning to do a list largely of Ardboyz, Maw Krusha and 1 unit of 6 pigs.

Im used to playing Ironjawz (Ironsunz) where aggression is key. How do you guys deploy and play turn 1? 

My plan was to deploy in a tight ball for the BW CA to generate points and be passive and pretty much just wait for turn 2 to get the +1/+1 online. Ardboyz would screen the outer layer in case the opponent gets double turn or decides to alpha.

Is it too slow to simply hang back for the first turn and let the opponent gets the objectives from your experience? Or will the global +1/+1 make up for it in the later turns?

1 hour ago, Kasper said:

I have yet to play Big Waagh but planning to do a list largely of Ardboyz, Maw Krusha and 1 unit of 6 pigs.

Im used to playing Ironjawz (Ironsunz) where aggression is key. How do you guys deploy and play turn 1? 

My plan was to deploy in a tight ball for the BW CA to generate points and be passive and pretty much just wait for turn 2 to get the +1/+1 online. Ardboyz would screen the outer layer in case the opponent gets double turn or decides to alpha.

Is it too slow to simply hang back for the first turn and let the opponent gets the objectives from your experience? Or will the global +1/+1 make up for it in the later turns?

Big Waaagh! generally takes the first turn to develop the board unlike Ironjawz which tries to play aggressive and force mistakes. That doesn't mean sit back and hide in a corner, it means that ideally you want the big fighting over objectives to be turns 3/4/5 when all your buffs are running and you have that massive advantage.

In a lot of ways you're trying to play a similar game that chess players are. You aren't taking the centre objective but you're putting yourself in a position where if your opponent overextends/you get your buffs you can immediately push forward to take the fight and the objective.

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

Big Waaagh! generally takes the first turn to develop the board unlike Ironjawz which tries to play aggressive and force mistakes. That doesn't mean sit back and hide in a corner, it means that ideally you want the big fighting over objectives to be turns 3/4/5 when all your buffs are running and you have that massive advantage.

In a lot of ways you're trying to play a similar game that chess players are. You aren't taking the centre objective but you're putting yourself in a position where if your opponent overextends/you get your buffs you can immediately push forward to take the fight and the objective.

Yeah but how aggressive would you be on turn 1 with piggies and the MK etc? Would you shoot then up and pin the enemy? In my head I would rather hang back abit defensively while move up with Ardboyz screens and get ready to fight in my turn 2

43 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Yeah but how aggressive would you be on turn 1 with piggies and the MK etc? Would you shoot then up and pin the enemy? In my head I would rather hang back abit defensively while move up with Ardboyz screens and get ready to fight in my turn 2

Yes, you have it pretty much right. Unless you see an irresistible opportunity for a turn 1 charge (e.g. Your opponent made a huge mistake in their deployment that you can take advantage of), you'd most likely prefer to hang back with both the pigs and the MK until turn 2.

On the MK, especially, hitting and wounding on 2s increases his damage output by quite a lot. It also makes him a great target for rerolling 1s to hit for 1 CP and/or the warchanter +1 damage, since he'll be hitting and piercing armor so consistently. It can quickly get overkill, though. 

If your pigs have gore-hackas, there's not an enormous difference to have the turn 2 +1/+1, since the riders will already be 2/2 on the charge (i.e. The only difference would be buffing the pigs' attacks). So, if you have hackas, you can fight in turn 1 without there being a huge difference. If you use pig choppas, though, the it's much more important to wait until turn 2 because you'll get the full benefit of the buff.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Trait: Bestial Charisma
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
Ardfist (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 158

Wanted to share what I've been running lately. Not really reinventing the wheel here, but I've went through a few iterations and settled on this being the "best" all-comers list I can come up with.

I'm still kind of debating whether I should split up one of the 'ardboyz units, but keeping them in mid-size units makes spending a CP for 'ardfist a lot more efficient at the expense of some versatility and having a truly sacrificial pieces.

I've been playing mostly in your face IJ lists. Wondering what your guys experience is playing slower Big Waaagh!

47 minutes ago, Andrew G said:
  Hide contents

Mortal Realm: Hysh
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Trait: Bestial Charisma
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- Pig-iron Choppas
Ardfist (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 158

Wanted to share what I've been running lately. Not really reinventing the wheel here, but I've went through a few iterations and settled on this being the "best" all-comers list I can come up with.

I'm still kind of debating whether I should split up one of the 'ardboyz units, but keeping them in mid-size units makes spending a CP for 'ardfist a lot more efficient at the expense of some versatility and having a truly sacrificial pieces.

I've been playing mostly in your face IJ lists. Wondering what your guys experience is playing slower Big Waaagh!

It's certainly a good list, I mean it's fairly similar to Leo's list on TheHonestWargamer, with a few tweaks you did of course. I like the addition of the Ardfist battalion and I think the groups of 15 ardboys are good value to justify the CP spending (as previously calculated by @Malakree and some other guys). I do notice however that you're relying on the Brooch to generate CP. Do you feel that it's reliable enough? That being said, have you given a thought about including some spicy elements like a big group of arrowboys for shooting, or the Rogue Idol for +cast, massive damage, etc?

Just throwing a few ideas here. 

Edited by Jabbuk

Hello gang! After completing 3k points of S2D I’m looking for the next army project.

one of my favourites are savage orruks. A horde of 2 wound angry green men sounds amazing! I was wondering what exactly is the competitive way of running them. 

So far my first list I made is:

savage orruk boss

wurgog prophet 

wardokk

2 unit’s of 30 savage orruks

(For 1k pt games)

i thought if I grab a lot of CP I could keep the mobs fearless and buff their output while setting up for the waaaagh. With magic and dancing I can keep them at decent saves to help grind opponents while swamping the board with angry men.

im sure this list isn’t very good, and I’m a little disappointed at the damage output compared to other armies (although at 5 points a wound and a lot of ways to increase the output maybe it’s not as bad as I’ve theorized)

will the above list work or should I include other units to help win games? What should I be looking to add for 2k points?

the only thing I want to stay away from is Calvary, and I’m allergic to allies and ironjaws haha

As a note, the most important big waaagh! buff is the bonesplitterz 6++ it's such a massive durability increase, especially against mortals which are normally IJ kryptonite. 

EDIT:

11 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

Hello gang! After completing 3k points of S2D I’m looking for the next army project.

one of my favourites are savage orruks. A horde of 2 wound angry green men sounds amazing! I was wondering what exactly is the competitive way of running them. 

So far my first list I made is:

savage orruk boss

wurgog prophet 

wardokk

2 unit’s of 30 savage orruks

(For 1k pt games)

i thought if I grab a lot of CP I could keep the mobs fearless and buff their output while setting up for the waaaagh. With magic and dancing I can keep them at decent saves to help grind opponents while swamping the board with angry men.

im sure this list isn’t very good, and I’m a little disappointed at the damage output compared to other armies (although at 5 points a wound and a lot of ways to increase the output maybe it’s not as bad as I’ve theorized)

will the above list work or should I include other units to help win games? What should I be looking to add for 2k points?

the only thing I want to stay away from is Calvary, and I’m allergic to allies and ironjaws haha

• Maniak Weirdnob for the exploding 6s.
  • 30 Arrowboyz for the ridiculous ranged threat.
  • Fill it out with boyz
Edited by Malakree

15 minutes ago, Malakree said:

As a note, the most important big waaagh! buff is the bonesplitterz 6++ it's such a massive durability increase, especially against mortals which are normally IJ kryptonite. 

EDIT:

• Maniak Weirdnob for the exploding 6s.
  • 30 Arrowboyz for the ridiculous ranged threat.
  • Fill it out with boyz

I see, is big waaagh better then going bonesplittas allegiance?

also, is the weirdnob a better choice to replace one of the three heroes I have in my list? I did consider him but I thought the savage Orruk boss would be enough at 1k especially with all the CP generation the army has access too. 

Arrowboyz sound good! I’ll consider replacing a block of boys with them. I’ll be proxying the list a few time before purchasing so I’ll have plenty of time to test with and without :)

2 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

It's certainly a good list, I mean it's fairly similar to Leo's list on TheHonestWargamer, with a few tweaks you did of course. I like the addition of the Ardfist battalion and I think the groups of 15 ardboys are good value to justify the CP spending (as previously calculated by @Malakree and some other guys). I do notice however that you're relying on the Brooch to generate CP. Do you feel that it's reliable enough? That being said, have you given a thought about including some spicy elements like a big group of arrowboys for shooting, or the Rogue Idol for +cast, massive damage, etc?

Just throwing a few ideas here. 

I think I remember watching a battle report with Leo about month ago, if I'm remember correctly it was IJ-Ironsunz list with pretty similar Troop/Hero set-ups but there are some pretty big differences (Big Waaagh over IJ, Wurgog over fungoid+scuttletide, 'ardfist over Ironfist to name a few).

As far as CP generation, I'm not entirely relying on Broach, I have the Wurgogg as well. In the handful of games I've played, CP hasn't been a problem, I've been able to Ere' We Go first round or 2 and have enough in the bank for 'ardfist and the occasional reroll 1's to hit on the Gore Gruntas. The Megaboss having Brutish Cunning also sidesteps the CP issue a bit. 

I've thought of including more Bonesplitterz elements, but decided against it. I think they're only really worth it when you're investing in the whole range of support pieces, and I really don't have the hero slots or points to make both the IJ and Bonesplitterz element of the list work optimally. 

As far as Rogue Idol, I think it's probably an overkill for casting when you have Zap Em and items to help ensure your big spells go off. I wouldn't trade the 6ggs + Warchanter for it in this type of list. I do think Rogue Idol is pretty decent in a pure Bonesplitterz list though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

I see, is big waaagh better then going bonesplittas allegiance?

Sorry the first part is for the IJ related questions above it where he's saying I want to go BW.

12 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

also, is the weirdnob a better choice to replace one of the three heroes I have in my list? I did consider him but I thought the savage Orruk boss would be enough at 1k especially with all the CP generation the army has access too. 

Arrowboyz sound good! I’ll consider replacing a block of boys with them. I’ll be proxying the list a few time before purchasing so I’ll have plenty of time to test with and without :)

Lots of heroes is totally fine for BS. All your wizards are solid as hell except for the Weirdnob who has the most amazing personal spell. You cast it onto the Arrowboyz because it actually works on them unlike your other exploding hits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew G said:

As far as CP generation, I'm not entirely relying on Broach, I have the Wurgogg as well.

Right. I totally forgot that the Wurgogg could generate CPs innately. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Also, you're right, it wasn't Leo's list but Eric Hoeger's list which is more in line with what you have. Sorry for the mix up.

erik.jpg (705×1167)

Edited by Jabbuk

How do people feel about big stabbas? I have a gut feeling they are a little overcosted when not fighting monsters, and bonesplittas don’t seem to need extra help killing monsters anyways. Is 50 points for a big stabba too costly? Personally I only have math hammer and theory on my side so I’m interested in finding out how they’ve worked for people irl 

also the spear is a beautiful orky model ngl  

5 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

How do people feel about big stabbas? I have a gut feeling they are a little overcosted when not fighting monsters, and bonesplittas don’t seem to need extra help killing monsters anyways. Is 50 points for a big stabba too costly? Personally I only have math hammer and theory on my side so I’m interested in finding out how they’ve worked for people irl 

also the spear is a beautiful orky model ngl  

They hit like absolute trucks and provide a major source of rend. The 3" attack range also makes them able to attack from safely behind your lines. I know they aren't awful but I have no idea how they hold up in bonesplitterz specifically.

After much thought and consideration I’ve decided bonesplitters will be my next project. I almost chose KO when I saw aetherwars but after coming off the high of hype I think savage orruks are the way to go

they will be from the realm of fire, white orruks who conduct rituals of fire and flame, leaving burns and brandings all over their bodies (as a fire themed replacement for tattoos.) they are led by the wurgog known as the “fire branda” who is able to conjure the beast spirits of dragons particularly well, summoning great green gouts of fire to lay waste to the great prey beasts of the realms. Orruks who join the tribe must pass a particular ritual where the Orruk in question attempts to keep his hand on a fire for as long as possible to prove his toughness as well as his ability to survive against the dangers of aqshy. They like to fight dragons and salamanders in particular 

I’ll be picking up the first batch of orruks this week (maybe today if gw is open on Boxing Day) and this will be my first project where I attempt (emphasis on attempt) to try my hand at a bit of sculpting. I’m not much of a painter but if people want to see the orruks as I progress with them I’ll be happy to post pictures 

thank you for answering my questions and helping  lead me to my wurgog! Happy hunting :) 

• Like 2

On 12/25/2019 at 11:13 AM, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

They are awesome, and a stapple in any BS list (i would say 4 at minimum). It's your only source of rend 2, and run and charge is really strong (combined with the 5'' free move that mean they can often attack as soon as turn 1)

19 hours ago, broche said:

They are awesome, and a stapple in any BS list (i would say 4 at minimum). It's your only source of rend 2, and run and charge is really strong (combined with the 5'' free move that mean they can often attack as soon as turn 1)

Personally I’d be More inclined to use them in a defensive manner as they are very squishy compared to everything in the army.

my main gripe with them is they do 2.6 wounds a pop, while 5 orruks do 3.75 wounds (5 with chompas)(assuming 15 or higher model count). So assuming a 4 up save enemy spears do almost the same damage but are less likely to survive punishment in return. Of course fighting monsters is a different story but bonesplitters do not need help killing monsters. I think in big waaaaagh they have utility and a lot of good use, but in pure bonesplitters they are an unnecessary niche unless fighting insanely high saves like 2 up rerollables. Even against 3 ups they only do marginally more damage. And for cutting down monsters with rend I’d prefer arrowboys.

in my mind they are worth 35 points, which is prolly way too extreme honestly. If they give them d6 damage all the time I’d run them in a heart beat. But against even iron jaws and other heavily armoured factions I’d take my chances with weight of attacks. Although with 3 inch range they have some cool defensive uses.... maybe I’m selling them too short remember I haven’t run them at all this is all math and theory. I know my verdict is a little harsh just wanted to put all my thoughts on them in one post 

big waaaagh upgrades them dramatically in my mind btw. The boosts to damage and the fact that monster killing becomes a niche not covered by the armies traits makes them a drastically better choice as a kind of second wave Calvary unit (in use of course not in stats haha). 2s and 2s followed up by d6 damage on the charge combined with 2 up d3 mortals when kills means 2 of them will spear light monsters in one round of combat, with heavier monsters losing to larger units just as quick. 

The lore on spears also makes them sound a lot scarier in my head. I would be way more inclined to run them if they were attached to units of savage orruks like fanatics (but less hidden and more like additional models) This would make them protected while also adding a lot of threat to larger units. I still think they should be cheaper... or even just make them a weapon carried by savage ork units like in warhammer fantasy battles. A kind of special weapon like the boss choppa in iron jaws

Edited by TheadTheOgorSlayer
Fixed some math as I realized I was being an idiot

So, I ended up running the list I put up a little while back in a game against Sylvaneth. 3 x Treelords with 1 as Durthu is not fun. I lost but it was pretty damned close and the main reason I did was the deployment and then feeding my army piecemeal into the grinder. Saying that, some observations:

3 x Gore Gruntaz is not enough, but man do they hit like a freight train. Turn 2 charge and destroyed a hero, a bunch of dryads for very little damage returned. They then got smashed as they were the focus of the entire army, but they certainly showed their value.

MK is a beast. 30 Dryads were kindling, and if I had remembered his bellow, I reckon the treelord, arch revenant and/or Kurnoth bow dudes would have been in a lot of trouble as well. He also died after the entire Sylvaneth army poured everything it had into him. If it wasn't for my poor save roles, he would have survived...

Ard boyz rock in turn 3. Buffed up and ready to rock, they are great. Slow though, so I think I need to look at deployment and movement shenanigans to use them better. 

Boarboy Maniaks managed to tie up a Treelord, Durthu and three Kurnoth Hunters for near two turns. Good unit in a pack of 10. Would be more effective screening a unit of 6 Gruntaz, or maybe 2 x 5 and 2 x 3 split to be able to send them all over the place to smack things in the face...

Arrow boyz did what they were meant to do, camp my backfield objective. Wardokk helps, Savage Boss does not, need to swap him out. 

Overall, I was pretty happy (and a bit annoyed as I struggled to recall everything that was in the book... so many rules) but for my first hit out it over a year it was ok. Sylvaneth have some nasty little tricks that I didn't know about which never helps. 

On another note, I was playing with an all cavalry list:

Maw Krusha (no idea what traits yet)

Gorefist

3 x 3 Gruntaz

Snaga Rukk

2 x 10 or 4 x 5 Boarboy Maniakz

2 x Maniak Weirdnob

Looks like fun to me, but that is a lot of pigs... objectives would be awful but it would be very fast...

1 hour ago, kaaras said:

Ard boyz rock in turn 3. Buffed up and ready to rock, they are great. Slow though, so I think I need to look at deployment and movement shenanigans to use them better. 

Hand of gork is a good tool for ard boyz. Once you get the plus 1 bonus to charge in addition to their native plus 2 those 9 inch charges are pretty simple. 

Im glad to hear the MK was doing well, I was facing ironjaws and a mawcrusher plus 10 ard boys failed to kill the 20 marauders I sent at them (they were nurgle and had reroll to hit and wound so they did like 10 wounds to the MK alone in their suicidal charge. Was an attempt to scare the MK by putting him low enough that my DP could easily wreck him with always strike first and that blade that does d6 mortals on a 6 against heroes)

did the dryads all die from damage or was battleshock a factor? And was it in one turn of combat or over a whole battleround?

I got my first game done as Big Waaagh and it felt awesome with all those buffs! +1/1 and ++6 is sooo good.

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Trait: Brutish Cunning 
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape 
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Wardokk (80)

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 138

My opponent played an S2D list consisting of Archaon, Be'lakor, Gaunt Summoner on disc, 3x 20 Marauders and some other heroes and Endless Spells. His list wasn't optimized tbh and it was his first game with the new book. It resulted in a rather one-sided game.

We played on Focal Point where he pulled ahead in turn 1 and 2 on Victory Points, since I deployed at my backline and didn't bother to challenge the middle point until the top of turn 2. 10 Ardboyz with +1/+1 and Violent Fury easily munched a whole unit of Marauders. I had deployed so my entire army was in a tight ball with a layer of Ardboyz around it. Once +1/+1 was online I moved the Ardboyz forward and started clearing the Marauders. My Maw Krusha and Pigs were ready to be sent in as wave 2. Eventually he had to respond to the buffed up Ardboyz by sending Archaon in to murder a squad of 10 Ardboyz, but my following turn meant he got charged by 6 Pigs buffed with +1/+1, Violent Fury and +1 attack from activating the Waagh. He died. It was glorious to watch 800 points crumble before 6 Pigs. 

At the end of turn 3 he was pretty much tabled and with the help of a teleport spell buffed with +2 from Waagh ability  (rolling a 1 is so sweet!) and +1 from artefact, I had every objective beside the middle one, and he had 5 Marauders, Be'lacor and a Gaunt Summoner on disc vs my entire army minus 15 Ardboyz and 2 Pigs. We called it here since I caught up in points and he had no chance of removing my models and he would be tabled entirely in my 4th turn.

Thoughts on Big Waagh:

It felt awesome all around and 10 Ardboyz is really a lot of muscle with hitting on 2s and wounding on 2s.  They soak up a lot of damage with double 6++ FNP saves (shields + Big Waagh) and provide a reasonable threat all around. I didn't have to sacrifice my Maw Krusha or Pigs and could afford to just sit back and wait for him to respond to my Ardboyz, then get countercharged and destroyed by "wave 2".

The Wardokk didn't succeed in a single +1 casting dance, failing every turn. He managed to cast his fight-last spell once, but Archaon bounced it off with his ability. Even though bad luck got the better of the little fella, I think I'm better off replacing him and the 5 Ardboyz squad with a Wurrgog Prophet. His warscroll spell is honestly insane vs horde units and he's a double caster too. 

I wasn't sure how Waagh points generation would be in actual play, but it turns out the list does it fairly easily. I get 5 passively with this list, plus D6 from the general and 4 from 'Ere we go CA. Thats 12,5 on average per turn. That's without any charges or combat with the Ardboyz/Maw Krusha. 

Edited by Kasper

1 hour ago, kaaras said:

@TheadTheOgorSlayer pretty sure it was one round of combat. Between destructive bulk and 16 attacks all up, they got munched. I had Mean Un so the fist and tail attack was damage 3. I also had metal rippas fand for rend 3, which is very useful. To be fair, Nurgle get loads of saves so i can imagine it would take an effort to remove them.

Nurgle marauders don’t actually get those feel no pain saves. I was super surprised when the unit had survivors after the attack. For perspective those 20 marauders should be easier to kill then 20 dryads. Tbf he took 10 wounds before attacking and was charged so no crushing bulk for him, maybe at full wounds he would’ve done considerably more damage.