AoS 2 - Legion of Grief discussion

Sigwarus

This Sunday I will try out the LoG in a 650x2 doubles tournament paired with FEC.

My list:

Necromancer (general, -2 bravery, wraithbow)

Reikenor

40 skeletons

Endless: Horrorghast

And my team ally (FEC blisterskin)

Aechregent 

Royal terrorgheist 

10 ghouls

The idea is simple. I will make all the bravery debuffs and he will summon flayers and scream with them and TG. I will also try to force some more bravery  tests with wraithbow and reikenors ability. 

Thoughts?

34 minutes ago, Sigwarus said:

This Sunday I will try out the LoG in a 650x2 doubles tournament paired with FEC.

My list:

Necromancer (general, -2 bravery, wraithbow)

Reikenor

40 skeletons

Endless: Horrorghast

And my team ally (FEC blisterskin)

Aechregent 

Royal terrorgheist 

10 ghouls

The idea is simple. I will make all the bravery debuffs and he will summon flayers and scream with them and TG. I will also try to force some more bravery  tests with wraithbow and reikenors ability. 

Thoughts?

Could work fairly well.  The only slight worry I would have is that if your skeleton blob dies you've pretty much lost your army as your Necromancer will then fall over in a stiff breeze (he won't have anything to pass his wounds onto) and you can only bring units back with your General.  However at 650 points, your opponents may well struggle to take out 40 in one turn.

Yes, only one large unit makes me a bit vunerable but I still think its better then 2-3 small ones. But as you say 40 skellies are strong at this pointlevel. 

I was opting for some banshees for some screams of my own but Im limited to 2 leader slots and really need reikenor to get the spells of. 

Ok, so back for a tournament report.

As i mentioned earlier i attended a 650x2 oneday doubles tournament yesterday. But my Teammate unfortunately got sick so I was left on my own (you could attend alone but with 1250x1 pts and I did).

Final list:

Reikenor (bravery debuff spell)

Necromancer (general, - 2 bravery, wraithbow, armour debuff spell)

Bansheex2

40 Skeletons (swords)

20 Grimghast reapers

5 Dire wolves

Endless spells: Horrorghast, Lauchon

Game 1: Starstrike ws Skaven (something like 2x3 stormfiends, clanrats, grey seer, bombardier, doomwheel, warplightning cannon) 

I was handed the first turn and cast lauchon in the middle of reapers. The got on the boat and after movement and charge I charged a screen and stormfiends in the flank. I killed all but the warpfire thrower. The rest of the army surged forward. In his turn his warpfire thrower killed a lot of reapers and his cannon blew itself up. In my turn I charged his other stormfiends with skeletons but killed none. My reapers died in combat and reikenor charged his bombardier and seer but killed none. Failed my spells. In his turn the bombardier blew himself up (bad luck!) but he took away a lot of skeletons with warpfire. I killed a stormfiend (and the other two ran away (-4 to bravery). His Doomwheel was able to charge my necro due to bad placement and long move/charge but he survived the charge. My opponent got the double turn and shoot my skeletons with warpfire from the surviving stormfiend. The doomwheel killed the necro. In my third turn Reikenor killed the grey seer. The banshees killed the remaining stormfiend and doomwheel. No enemies left!

I controlled 2 of 3 comets since their arrival and made the secondary missions. Win 19-1 tp.

• Like 1

Game 2: Duality of Death ws Legions of Nagash (Arkhan, Necromancer, Guardian of souls with mortarity glas, 20 reapers, 40 skeletons, 5 Direwolves)

This was a completely different game. I was up against a much more experienced opponent and an army containing only bravery 10. It was also somewhat of a mirrormatch eith us having almost the same units.

He took the first turn but failed some run roles and also didint walled the objective with his wolves. He contested no objective and onlu surged forward a bit.  In my first turn both spells were stopped by Arkhan (no boat for me buuh). I run both banshees to grap the objectives (1 using a commandp). On the left side I also had a screen and on my right  I had som favorable terrain to hide my banshee behind. My skeletons ran forward to try to support the banshee on the left and  Reikenor charged his reapers in the left flank while my reapers charged them in the right flank. Sadly my reapers failed to do much and the same for Reikenor. My opponent went first in the second round and killed of Reikenor (dumb move to charge i know but at least they had to commit). His reapers had left mine with a magic move and the charged my dire wolf screen and Reikenor. My reapers got completely debuffed and was killed by his skeletons later but i brought them back. On the right side his skeleton also charged my undefended banshee but she survived to my turn due to her position with her back against a high wall. The rest of the battle i held on to the objective on the left but lost the one on the right. He slowly gained the upper hand in the fights but I was to far ahead in vp. After secondaries I took a narrow win 13-7. I think I killed a few reapers with the banshees but nothing more. Death is not a good matchup for us.  

• Like 1

Game 3: Better part of valour ws Idoneth (tidecaster, soulrender, 6 spear eels, 3 spear eels, 2x3 Shield eels, gemenidis, akhelian king)

I like this matchup. The bravery 6 eels are tasty. I deployed my skeletons in a large ring (contesting 2 objectives) with reikenor, necro and reapers inside. My banshees were placed at each ride in the open as bait and to make incoming tp harder. The wolves screened  the left side banshee. My opponent tookthe first turn and masscharged. On my right 3 shield eels attacked my banshee but she survived with a wound. On my left 6 speareels (from tp) and 3 shield eels charged my wolfscreen banshee and skeletons. The banshee died and so did wolves. I killed nothing in return. 3 eels gäller a charge.

In my turn one I cast horrorghast with reikenor and put it next to both eel units to my left. I cast minus armour spell at the big eel unit. The rightmost banshee withdraw from the eels bit they was still locked in combat with skeletons. The reapers charged both eel units to the left. They killed twofrom the big unit and the 4 remaining ran away! One of the shield eels also died between reapers and skeletons and his remaining friends also ran. I won the priority role and the banshee screamed at the eels on the right and killed one. The other two flew later. The grimghasts killed Another eel unit and soulrender. Reikenor charged and killed the tidecaster. After his king made some carnage in turn 2-3 he was killed by reikenor blowing the candle. 19-1 to me.

I placed 2nd in the tournament only one tp behind the winners (a combined fyreslayers and nurgle full tp army). 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sigwarus said:

Game 3: Better part of valour ws Idoneth (tidecaster, soulrender, 6 spear eels, 3 spear eels, 2x3 Shield eels, gemenidis, akhelian king)

I like this matchup. The bravery 6 eels are tasty. I deployed my skeletons in a large ring (contesting 2 objectives) with reikenor, necro and reapers inside. My banshees were placed at each ride in the open as bait and to make incoming tp harder. The wolves screened  the left side banshee. My opponent tookthe first turn and masscharged. On my right 3 shield eels attacked my banshee but she survived with a wound. On my left 6 speareels (from tp) and 3 shield eels charged my wolfscreen banshee and skeletons. The banshee died and so did wolves. I killed nothing in return. 3 eels gäller a charge.

In my turn one I cast horrorghast with reikenor and put it next to both eel units to my left. I cast minus armour spell at the big eel unit. The rightmost banshee withdraw from the eels bit they was still locked in combat with skeletons. The reapers charged both eel units to the left. They killed twofrom the big unit and the 4 remaining ran away! One of the shield eels also died between reapers and skeletons and his remaining friends also ran. I won the priority role and the banshee screamed at the eels on the right and killed one. The other two flew later. The grimghasts killed Another eel unit and soulrender. Reikenor charged and killed the tidecaster. After his king made some carnage in turn 2-3 he was killed by reikenor blowing the candle. 19-1 to me.

I placed 2nd in the tournament only one tp behind the winners (a combined fyreslayers and nurgle full tp army). 

nice!

how did the banshees ranged attack performed? with all the bravery debuffs?

1 hour ago, Rod said:

how did the banshees ranged attack performed? with all the bravery debuffs

They cleaned up nicely in game one but were no gamechangers. They killed a few reapers in game 2 against LoN but bravery 10 is hard and I löst nu main caster early. In game 2 one died quick and the other killed an eel causing the rest to flee.  They were more of a potential threat but a good one.

7 minutes ago, Sigwarus said:

Yes, you could. I was thinking of adding flayers or an archregent but I couldnt get the minis with short notice. 

better archrent eventually. You would have been able to gain a wizard and a unit from the borders. The problem would have been the CP lost

units and warscroll battalions are " a bit" different ones.

Moreover their answer is nosense. You play units...but battlaions have different keywords from the units that compose that warscroll battalions quite often. Or they want to say that the warscroll battlion inherit also teh keywords of the units it is composed by?

Really silly answer

If they FAQ it, it's only welcomed... if they don't mess everything like deathmarch...

1 hour ago, Undeadly said:

Still waiting on a FAQ for Forbidden Power; although, question: As a Nighthaunt player, is Forbidden Powers worth as a pure Nighthaunt player, not necessarily a LoG player?

Ehhh... from a gameplay perspective, not really? The spells are interesting but nothing too great: nighthaunt already has mobility, so two of them are pointless right off the bat. The shards are interesting but nothing special, and the horrorghast debuff is great for dreadscythe harridans, but with how easy it is to ignore battleshock and it being 60 points... not really worth it most of the time.

The terrain piece is cool looking, but the rules are below average even before the 100 point cost. I can't imagine anyone taking one in even a semi serious match unless they somehow could take it for free, and even then it could just be useless.

From a purely nighthaunt perspective? It can be skipped, you aren't really missing out on anything great

14 hours ago, deynon said:

units and warscroll battalions are " a bit" different ones.

Moreover their answer is nosense. You play units...but battlaions have different keywords from the units that compose that warscroll battalions quite often. Or they want to say that the warscroll battlion inherit also teh keywords of the units it is composed by?

Really silly answer

If they FAQ it, it's only welcomed... if they don't mess everything like deathmarch...

It's always worth bearing in mind that the Social Media guys (part of WarCom) aren't rules writers - they've answered as a fellow hobbyist, so it's a tad harsh to say their answer is silly.

9 hours ago, Undeadly said:

Still waiting on a FAQ for Forbidden Power; although, question: As a Nighthaunt player, is Forbidden Powers worth as a pure Nighthaunt player, not necessarily a LoG player?

Generally FAQ's come out between 2 and 3 weeks after a release - the past couple have actually come out on a Wednesday (so pretty much 2.5 weeks).

Depends on if you're wanting to include any of the endless spells in your Nighthaunt army or not.  If not then it probably won't be that beneficial from a gaming perspective.  The background story is pretty cool though and there's a pretty sweet mini campaign in the book (although I would imagine you will be able to find the book off bits companies).

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

It's always worth bearing in mind that the Social Media guys (part of WarCom) aren't rules writers - they've answered as a fellow hobbyist, so it's a tad harsh to say their answer is silly.

Generally FAQ's come out between 2 and 3 weeks after a release - the past couple have actually come out on a Wednesday (so pretty much 2.5 weeks).

Depends on if you're wanting to include any of the endless spells in your Nighthaunt army or not.  If not then it probably won't be that beneficial from a gaming perspective.  The background story is pretty cool though and there's a pretty sweet mini campaign in the book (although I would imagine you will be able to find the book off bits companies).

Not much as a fellow player or the answer would be more precise.  

Anyway we have to wait FAQs, but seeing deathmarch and black coach new model examples, a no it's foresighted

Now when the reviews of the ghb2019 are out it time to build some lists. With the grimghasts going up in points we need to revaluate the alternatives. More skeletons instead or maybe graveguards (cheaper now). 

At least our heroes got cheaper excluding the necro. 

Are chainrasps an alternative to the now more expensive wolves?

5 minutes ago, Sigwarus said:

Now when the reviews of the ghb2019 are out it time to build some lists. With the grimghasts going up in points we need to revaluate the alternatives. More skeletons instead or maybe graveguards (cheaper now). 

I'm still going to argue for dreadscythe harridans, the reduction in cost only solidifies that they are good to take for me.

I have even been considering taking a knight of shrouds on foot with 20 harridans, making him the general with the tragic emanations trait and giving him gryph-feather charm; it would allow him to keep up with the harridans, give him a -1 to hit all the time and a -2 to hit at range, give off the -2 bravery debuff from the trait, and his command ability is statically (almost insignificantly, but still) better for the harridans than the mounted version. All for only 100 points, though it is hard to beat a dreadblade harrow general now that he is also only 90 points...

3 hours ago, Sigwarus said:

I've always been a big fan of Bladegheist over Grimghast- and with the point difference being so small now and the ability to get them to pile in twice and attack with the Neromancer- plus a charge that's 6 attacks a piece in a single phase!!!!

Chainrasp are  a good alternative but do a very different job for me than wolves- I like the wolves movement to grab objectives early and the rasps to bog things down.  So an argument for taking both.

I played a 600point game (tiny i know) last week and the dreadblade as general (Gryph feather her too) teleporting to grave-sites to bring things back and cap objectives was a complete must for me just like @Qrow suggested.  And just to back up the harridans point I've been running 20 in a 2000point nighthaunt list since the start, those 3 attacks on 4's and 3's- especially with a torment nearby to re roll ones is solid! 

• Like 1

My 2000p list remember, work in progress:

Reikenor

Necromancer

2x Banshee

Dreadblade, general, wraithbow

Mercenary: Abhorrant Archregent

40 skeletons

20 Dreadshcytes

2x5 wolves

10 bladeghasts

Mercenaries: 3 Cryps flayers

Endless spells: horrorghast, Lauchon,  suffocating gravetide

1 extra cp

Edited by Sigwarus
Forgot things

12 minutes ago, Sigwarus said:

My 2000p list remember, work in progress:

Reikenor

Necromancer

2x Banshee

Dreadblade, general, wraithbow

Mercenary: Abhorrant Archregent

40 skeletons

20 Dreadshcytes

2x5 wolves

10 bladeghasts

Mercenaries: 3 Cryps flayers

Endless spells: horrorghast, Lauchon,  suffocating gravetide

1 extra cp

I've tried bravery bomb two games in a Row and the truth Is that's average at best, to much investment in something where half of your opponents have b10.  Gravesites are nice though

Edited by Rod
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Rod said:

I've tried bravery bomb two games in a Row and the truth Is that's average at best, to much investment in something where half of your opponents have b10.  Gravesites are nice though

True, its a lot harder against deatharmies but possible. On the other side of the cake its ridiculus against skaven. But thats not half of your games. Most demon armies got mortals mixed in and tzeencth have beastbirds. With up to 8 screams at minus 2-8 in bravery even bravery 10 needs to worry

• Like 1