AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

11 hours ago, Jaskier said:

Warscroll early thoughts, apologies for the long post; 

*snip* 

No need to apologize for the length of your post -- that was a fantastic breakdown and has my mind abuzzing with possibilities for this tome. It's such a fantastic overhaul for the entire faction. 

2 hours ago, zombiepiratexxx said:

I've not felt this excited about Slaanesh for a long time and have even pushed aside my current painting project to get painting Slaanesh before I've even got the book in my hand. 

You and me both -- I've got a bunch of Slaanesh I never finished painting, and they'll be taking the place of my current projects immmediately. 

Edited by LeonBox
  • Like 3

The book's overall design is pretty much exactly what i hoped they would do with it, you can tell that there has been a change in the management of the battletome(s) at GW. Even my pet peeve, the keeper of secret's weapon options, have all been made worth taking - something i really did not expect.

For example the ritual knife was absolute garbage before, but now you can take: pretenders + strength of godhood + euphoric killers + ritual knife. With other buffs the knife gets set to 2+/2+/-2/2, and every wound and mortal wound it causes will generate depravity. That means you could generate up to 8 depravity from the knife alone with a use of euphoric killers, on top of the much improved damage it does. Then the keeper's wound degradation and defensive support options are much better, and the knife helps finish off units so you can use heroic recovery the subsequent turn, making sinistrous hand less necessary. It's changes like this that show the competence level for battletome writing has increased.

Edited by JackOfBlades
  • Like 2

So a block of 20 daemonettes have 41 attacks can be buffed to 61 with ca with icon can get to 81 hitting on 3 4 maybe 3 3  and functionally have rend 3 with proper set up.  Without icon can reliably keep everything else and have 61 attacks. 

Save Base daemonettes daemonettes +1h daemonettes +1 h +1w daemonettes +1 h +1 w rend2 daemonettes +1h +1w rend 3
2+ 4.44 5.56 7.41 11.11 14.81
3+ 6.67 8.33 11.11 14.81 18.52
4+ 8.89 11.11 14.81 18.52 22.22
5+ 11.11 13.89 18.52 22.22 22.22
6+ 13.33 16.67 22.22 22.22 22.22
- 13.33 16.67 22.22 22.22 22.22

If your on your phone looking at it you need to be in landscape mode so it looks right.

Edited by Poryague
Spelling
  • Like 1

Save Chosen Chosen -1a Chosen -2a
2+ 13.89 9.26 4.63
3+ 18.33 12.22 6.11
4+ 22.78 15.19 7.59
5+ 27.22 18.15 9.07
6+ 31.67 21.11 10.56
- 31.67 21.11 10.56

Impact of reducing attack characteristics. Used 10 man chaos chosen no buff for example. mortal wound in addition is part of the calculation. 

Edited by Poryague
  • Like 1

I can see chosen doing next to no damage vs painbringers with -1 to hit (glutos or depravity) 2+ save from contesting, mystic shield, -2 attacks and all out defence. TBH I would be interested in units that can break through that, anything that can do damage through that can also just be tanked on lord of hubris for 1 turn.

I do worry that our super brick will be rough for some armies, though I think the best solution vs slaanesh is magic, chuck mortal wounds into them.

Edited by MothmanDraws
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MothmanDraws said:

I can see chosen doing next to no damage vs painbringers with -1 to hit (glutos or depravity) 2+ save from contesting, mystic shield, -2 attacks and all out defence. TBH I would be interested in units that can break through that

Shooting and magic or hit units that currently don't have massive buffs. Melee armies are going to have a bad time against this unless they get in quick and take out things before to many debuffs start rolling out. 

25 minutes ago, MothmanDraws said:

I can see chosen doing next to no damage vs painbringers with -1 to hit (glutos or depravity) 2+ save from contesting, mystic shield, -2 attacks and all out defence. TBH I would be interested in units that can break through that, anything that can do damage through that can also just be tanked on lord of hubris for 1 turn.

I do worry that our super brick will be rough for some armies, though I think the best solution vs slaanesh is magic, chuck mortal wounds into them.

Mortals that dont depend on attacks (like Nurgle and charge mortals), objective swamping (and sniping out any hellscourge hellstriders), or pin & win is what i see to deal with that stuff. I think that's very thematic - it's effective against prideful foes who refuse to not beat them directly, and less effective against humble foes who swallow their pride and do the unglamorous things necessary for victory.

Edited by JackOfBlades
  • Like 1

Question: do coalition units benefit from subfaction rules? Obviously not the Hedonites keyword-locked ones, but, say, if Godseekers can reroll charges, would a coalition Varanguard unit benefit from this?

image.png.efc511702fd3adc2b2d061d25eebf7e9.png

This note states that "coalition units can be given one of your army's enhancements". Well, the Slaanesh enhancements are all subfaction locked, which means you wouldn't be able to, say, give a Slaanesh Chaos Sorcerer an artifact unless they counted as being part of the Invaders/Pretenders/Godseekers sub-faction. 

But it also says only Hedonites units gain the subfaction keyword here:

image.png.b60225f7fc3278a5373a299a77f1579f.png

So which is it? Does this need an FAQ or am I missing something? 

1 hour ago, Klamm said:

Question: do coalition units benefit from subfaction rules? Obviously not the Hedonites keyword-locked ones, but, say, if Godseekers can reroll charges, would a coalition Varanguard unit benefit from this?

image.png.efc511702fd3adc2b2d061d25eebf7e9.png

This note states that "coalition units can be given one of your army's enhancements". Well, the Slaanesh enhancements are all subfaction locked, which means you wouldn't be able to, say, give a Slaanesh Chaos Sorcerer an artifact unless they counted as being part of the Invaders/Pretenders/Godseekers sub-faction. 

But it also says only Hedonites units gain the subfaction keyword here:

image.png.b60225f7fc3278a5373a299a77f1579f.png

So which is it? Does this need an FAQ or am I missing something? 

"Your armies enhancements" in this case refers to one of the enhancements your specific army is allowed to take, in your list.  

This means a Coalition hero could receive a generic artefact like arcane tome, or one of the Unique Enhancements available during this season like Tunnel Master. 

• Thanks 1

Hopefully going to try this tonight 

- Army Faction: Hedonites of Slaanesh
     - Army Type: Pretenders
LEADERS
Glutos Orscollion (480)
Lord of Pain (135)
     - General
Lord of Hubris (135)
Lord of Pain (135)
The Contorted Epitome (190)
BATTLELINE
Myrmidesh Painbringers (145)
Symbaresh Twinsouls (140)
Blissbarb Archers (150)
OTHER
Slickblade Seekers (200)
TOTAL POINTS: 1995/2000

I think I'll put Strength of Godhood on the Lord of Pain, as well as the Crown of Dark Secrets. I'll be against Gloomspite Gitz. Phantasmagoria will be on the Contorted Epitome and Born of Damnation on Glutos. 

Will hopefully have a battle report to write out! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Hopefully going to try this tonight 

- Army Faction: Hedonites of Slaanesh
     - Army Type: Pretenders
LEADERS
Glutos Orscollion (480)
Lord of Pain (135)
     - General
Lord of Hubris (135)
Lord of Pain (135)
The Contorted Epitome (190)
BATTLELINE
Blissbarb Archers (150)
OTHER
Slickblade Seekers (200)
TOTAL POINTS: 1995/2000

I think I'll put Strength of Godhood on the Lord of Pain, as well as the Crown of Dark Secrets. I'll be against Gloomspite Gitz. Phantasmagoria will be on the Contorted Epitome and Born of Damnation on Glutos. 

Will hopefully have a battle report to write out! 

I have also got Gitz tomorrow -- I suspect a Troggoth-heavy list with that underpointed moon on a stick dude. Haven't written my list yet but I'll likely go with a Strength of Godhood Keeper as my centrepiece. I'll be sure to get plenty of pics and write up a batrep too. 

• Like 1

So if I’m reading things right out current Battleline situation is:

Daemonettes

Blissbarb Archers

Seekers

Symbaresh/Myrmidesh if the general is a Lord of Pain/Hubris

Chariots if the general is a Bladebringer Herald on a chariot of the matching type?

So, all the cool buffs from making a Pretenders Keeper your general do have a significant opportunity cost.

1 minute ago, Selpharia said:

So if I’m reading things right out current Battleline situation is:

Daemonettes

Blissbarb Archers

Seekers

Symbaresh/Myrmidesh if the general is a Lord of Pain/Hubris

Chariots if the general is a Bladebringer Herald on a chariot of the matching type?

So, all the cool buffs from making a Pretenders Keeper your general do have a significant opportunity cost.

You forgot Hellstriders... I guess.

But to your point, yes, there's some opportunity cost... except that our three base Battleline choices are really pretty decent.  

Daemonettes no longer blow chunks and actually grow to being respectable over time, Blissbarbs are just plain solid shooting, and Seekers are the least exciting choice... but, they're obscenely fast (like, ridiculously fast) which can undoubtedly be leveraged with good play into winning games.  

Honestly, the battleline I wish we could get but can't are the Exalted Seekers.  The other options we have are decent, but feel relatively niche?

Not that there's anything wrong with Lord of Hubris/Pain - both are real solid.  

But I don't think we're hurting for good battleline either... only cheap battleline :)

I was actually really hoping Hellstriders were battleline still. A unit of the whippy boys stopping units with 1 or two wounds contesting objectives is brutal (helllo and goodbye Nurgle chaos warrior bricks)

Edited by Selpharia

1 hour ago, Selpharia said:

I was actually really hoping Hellstriders were battleline still. A unit of the whippy boys stopping units with 1 or two wounds contesting objectives is brutal (helllo and goodbye Nurgle chaos warrior bricks)

Low wound brick units will have a bad day with whippy boys just automatically taking the objective by running on to it.

I’m struggling with the best list to come up with to deal with 2x9 Troggoths (which is the list my opponent took last time). I abandoned the idea of a Keeper general because it messes with battleline too much. I’ve settled on Glutos for sure, but everything else is up for grabs. Any suggestions on dealing with 18 3+ 5++ Troggoths that come back on a 4+?